Not exactly modeling-related, but I think we can all relate to spending a foolishly large amount of money on a hobby.

Yahoo Finance has an interesting article on the Robinson family of Los Angeles, who tried cashing in on the Beanie Baby craze of the 90s by becoming huge collectors of the toys. When the Beanie Baby bubble burst, it left them bankrupt. Full story, along with a short documentary on the subject, here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/a-family-spent--100-000-on-beanie-babies-to-put-their-kids-through-college-155053345.html

While I've certainly spent several thousand dollars on kits, decals, detail sets, references etc, that money was spent over a span of three decades..I know folks who spend more than that in a year on smokes, booze and lotto tickets.

SN

Edited by Steve N

Back around 1999 to 2000 I got hooked on diecast police cars & NASCAR cars & nearly went broke in the process. Now I have a boat load of'em in 1/43rd, 1/64th & 1/24th scale taking up space on some shelves & closets!

It's kind of why I'm having a clearout of my kits and DVDs and PC games, although not in the high money range like some. I realised last month that I have lots of stuff gathering dust that will never get done as my interests have changed. So I'm selling to pay for a trip to Prague next month :cheers: !

Don't worry, I'm not quitting model making. I just had (still have? :rolleyes: ) a habit of buying kits that look good or the price seems right at the time. Maybe I had an idea for a build that never happened and now the plastic is just taking up space and gathering dust. Good news for the charity stores who got a lot of my old books!

I've done some major clearing out. My dad was a pack-rat who always found an excuse that he'd be able to use whatever he brought home. Unfortunately, he never did and after his passing, most of it ended up worthless on the junk pile. Some of it was sold back to the stained glass stores. On the other hand, there's me with my model kits that I haven't built and considering my eyesight (near sight acuity is eroding - age) I doubt I'll get to doing the smaller kits that I have in my collection (it's bad when you call 1/48 small). At least I have my vision for photography and have spent almost $15,000 in lenses and camera equipment but that "makes money" as opposed to my kits. I would certainly like to build the teen fighters, Super Hornets, an F-4J, Su-27, MiG 29K and a MiG 23 in 1/32 scale but that would cost over $1,000.00 and considering I still have a 300mm f/2.8 lens necessary, a 14-24mm f/2.8 and a 105mm f/2.8 Macro lens to get as well as a few more camera equipment pieces for the business. I don't think that switch to 1/32 scale is going to happen very quickly.

I've done some major clearing out. My dad was a pack-rat who always found an excuse that he'd be able to use whatever he brought home. Unfortunately, he never did and after his passing, most of it ended up worthless on the junk pile. Some of it was sold back to the stained glass stores. On the other hand, there's me with my model kits that I haven't built and considering my eyesight (near sight acuity is eroding - age) I doubt I'll get to doing the smaller kits that I have in my collection (it's bad when you call 1/48 small). At least I have my vision for photography and have spent almost $15,000 in lenses and camera equipment but that "makes money" as opposed to my kits. I would certainly like to build the teen fighters, Super Hornets, an F-4J, Su-27, MiG 29K and a MiG 23 in 1/32 scale but that would cost over $1,000.00 and considering I still have a 300mm f/2.8 lens necessary, a 14-24mm f/2.8 and a 105mm f/2.8 Macro lens to get as well as a few more camera equipment pieces for the business. I don't think that switch to 1/32 scale is going to happen very quickly.

Come on, switch to Canon.....you know you want to. Sell that re-branded Sony and get a real camera.....LOL

Come on, switch to Canon.....you know you want to. Sell that re-branded Sony and get a real camera.....LOL

1) I don't want to spend half the day with my head in a menu system.

2) I get easily confused...so N-ikon works wonders. I just point it and shoot. :)

07-25-2013_Nikon_Eagle.jpg

Cheers. :evil-laughter:

Edited by The_Animal

This just proves it - if you collect something, collect it because you like it and want it, and assume it has no value except to you.

Depends on the collectible.... :wave:

. . . I collect gold and silver coins, because I LOVE them... :wub: :wub:

......and I I do WANT them.... And MY collection is of value to ME and OTHER like minded coin collectors... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: