What is up with some of these sources

So crusing the ebay looking for new older source material I run across this: Complete 3 volume set by Duane Kasulka about carrier air schemes from 1946 to 1973. I think "%)*%(# that is expensive for three volumes of series" so on a whim (and based on some intel from a buddy) I cruise over to Amazon and see the following:

$136 for Vol 1 (1946-1956)

$80 for Vol 2 of 1957-1963

$264 for Vol 3 (1963-1973)

So I wonder what makes these source material so damn expensive beyond it is the intertubes and people will pay for anything? I use to have vol 3 in my collection for the longest time till I had to clean up my library during a move. I have never seen the other two vols for sale anyplace except the intertubes. Anyone have an opinion on these books? I wonder if Squadron had considered republishing them recently since they are pretty good (at least volume three since it has pictures of the Green scheme attempts on the two different air wings during the Vietnam War)

OH and a friend told me you will be amazed at what is for sale through Amazon resellers that might be cheaper than what is offered via sometimes on ebay for source books. Sometimes for pennies on the dollar.

Edited by A6BSTARM

Those three books are All FIRST EDITIONS..:...if you look on the information on the product, in this case the books it tells you that

They will be extremely EXPENSIVE . I collect books

and every bookworm/book lover(includes ME) knows that FIRST edition is like getting hold of a gold nugget that you just unearthed..

It matters not what the books have or have Inside BUT first editions are rare..

:thumbsup:

Edit: the price get bumped up if it is autographed with an inscription... by the author as Winston Churchill used to...for example...

Edited by HOLMES

Some of the larger third-party book sellers on Amazon (and Amazon itself) use computer algorithms to determine pricing. It might have very little to do with actual rarity or demand, and may simply be reaction to other prices or some other criteria. There was a famous case a few years ago of a not-very rare book going for $26 million because of two runaway algorithms basing prices on each other.

Some of the larger third-party book sellers on Amazon (and Amazon itself) use computer algorithms to determine pricing. It might have very little to do with actual rarity or demand, and may simply be reaction to other prices or some other criteria. There was a famous case a few years ago of a not-very rare book going for $26 million because of two runaway algorithms basing prices on each other.

Very true :thumbsup:

Holmes,

I am sure them being 1st editions is important. However, they are standard Squadron/Signal affairs. Paperbacks that aren't very thick, like less than a hundred pages. Filled with photos and reference drawings. Otherwise looking at some of Squadrons other fair of the "XXXX in action" series and except for a couple they don't exceeds $30 bucks (or at least the ones I am looking at)

A lot has to do with how popular and how many copies were printed. Seems these are somewhat popular and looks like they were not well circulated.

Look at the Modern Hog guide. It's relatively new in book terms but is immensely popular and sold out right away. Now they sell for somewhere around 3-4xs what they retailed.

Books are very much supply n demand. Plus add in first editions and hardcovers and certain items will sell for more.