I was excited to learn that my city of Olathe, KS is on the list of the final eight sites for the new CAF headquarters. The others are in Smyrna, TN, three in the Dallas area, two in the Houston area, and one in San Antonio. I would imagine one of the Dallas sites will win, but hey, you never know.

For a moment I thought you meant the Canadian Air Force, but I guess you mean the Confederate Air Force? That would be cool to have in your hometown.

Haven't lived in TX for about 20 years so don't know how the CAF politics are. Would seem odd not to have them in Texas. The non-Texas alternatives sound decent, though. But Dallas area is OK though rather populous depending on the site choices.

Rick in Maine

For a moment I thought you meant the Canadian Air Force, but I guess you mean the Confederate Air Force? That would be cool to have in your hometown.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out what the Canadian Armed Forces would be doing having a headquarters there.

Why are they leaving Midland? Haven't heard anything about a move...

They haven't been in Harlingen since the early 90's. The CAF has been in Midland since then.

Wouldn't the Canadian Air Force have an R for Royal at the beginning of it? :evil-laughter: But hey, it would be in keeping. Considering they have their Naval headquarters practically landlocked in Ottawa...how many inflatable Zodiacs can we send down the Ottawa River...if we can manage to get past the Ottawa Dam.

Edited by The_Animal

Why are they leaving Midland? Haven't heard anything about a move...

The main reason they have given is they want more exposure. Midland just doesn't have the population, though the residents fully support them. The museum will remain in Midland. The HQ and some the high-exposure planes will be moving to the new site.

They also dropped the "Confederate" in favor of "Commemorative" about 20 years ago. Although it was always intended as tounge-in-cheek, apparently the original name was generating too much negative PR by those who didn't get the joke.

SN

Wouldn't the Canadian Air Force have an R for Royal at the beginning of it? :evil-laughter:/>/> But hey, it would be in keeping. Considering they have their Naval headquarters practically landlocked in Ottawa...how many inflatable Zodiacs can we send down the Ottawa River...if we can manage to get past the Ottawa Dam.

Actually the RCAF is a branch of the Canadian Armed Forces (traditionally known as the CAF and why, for the longest time, a big CAF was painted on the bottom of aircraft wings.). As for MARLANT, it's in Halifax. Nice big state of the art building right down near the dockyard. MARPAC is in Victoria.

Edited by RiderFan

Actually the RCAF is a branch of the Canadian Armed Forces (traditionally known as the CAF and why, for the longest time, a big CAF was painted on the bottom of aircraft wings.). As for MARLANT, it's in Halifax. Nice big state of the art building right down near the dockyard. MARPAC is in Victoria.

Well...at least they're near water. It's a start. MARCOM (before they changed it back to Royal Canadian Navy), I believe (Vice-Admiral Norman) is based out of Ottawa though (no ships though there...since both fleets are based on the coasts. I guess since the Commander of the Navy is a part of the Defense Staff, it would make sense that he be based in Ottawa.

Didn't the Air Force go back to being RCAF just recently (2011)? And yes, I know about the whole unification thing... Happened two years and 4 months before I was born Studied that whole thing in Air Cadets trying to get my Corporals wayyy back when. Kinda nice to see them go back to the individual services.

As for the Confederate Air Force (CAF). Would love to see them bring the B-29 (yeah, considering I'm of Japanese descent, that's probably weird), the B-24 and the B-17 up here to the Abbotsford International Airshow, since the USAF and the USN ain't sending stuff up due to sequester. We see Grumpy ((the Historicflight.org's RCAF B-25 Mitchell) - a favorite of mine) at Abby. and Grumpy is gonna be back again this year...just for those who are going on the 9,10,11 this year. If I see it flying practice runs while I'm at Green Timbers, I'll take a shot of it with the 600mm. Probably will turn out better than the shots I took of it last year from Green Timbers.

Edited by The_Animal