Q for the C17 Experts

Question for the C-17 experts - what are the extenal differences between thae various Blocks/Upgrade staes. IIRC there are some differnces in Defensive Aids fit.

TIA

Dave

I'm not an expert but I though the defensive equip was retrofitted to all earlier blocks? Other than that, I think all C-17's are identical from the outside.

I don't think it is Block specific. The Defensive Aids updates are fitted as the operator requires. The RAAF C-17s for example don't all have the Defensive Aids. The earlier aircraft (delivered in 2006) had the suite fitted but the last aircraft delivered late last year has none. of the 6 aircraft in the fleet I believe only 4 of them are fitted for the Defensive Aids Suite.

I'm not aware of any external differences between the production blocks of C-17s. As noted, the defensive system +/- is a customer option. I don't believe it's cleared for export to non-NATO or "special" friends.

Talking to a C-17 pilot in our office, Block 13 had the LAIRCM mod added to the jet. This was retro-fitted to the previous airframes that didn't have it.

I remember seeing the first few stop through Ramstein and wondering what the funky teardrop fairings were on the forward fuselage.

From what I've seen, the USAF aircraft rarely fly with all three turrets fitted. Most likely due to cost and simply not having enough to fit every aircraft with three. However, every RAF C-17 that I saw did have a full compliment.

HIH

Jeff

As far as I'm aware, the only difference in C-17's is internal...Such as, the first 70 (IIRC) or so for the USAF don't have the wing box fuel tanks...The rest do, and because of that, are *technically* known as C-17ER, or Extended Range.

Aaron