Spade grip for Fighter Mossies?

I saw a picture days ago. It said it was a Mosquito NF.30 cockpit, but the control column had an spade grip, I remember it was a more "triangular" grip as seen on a Sea Fury, not a "circular" one like a Spitfire's. I'd like to know if this is common/uncommon or it is just a restored aircraft, Can't find the picture anymore :( Best regards.

José.

mosquiton114ka4.jpg

Here is a picture i took of jerry yegan's restored mosquito. It hsd the "american style" vs the "british stule". I am not sure if they were all like this but inwould lean in that direction since this is considered one of the most accurate mossies in the world.

Sean

Found the picture, it is from a book:

NFMkXXX_cockpit_zps8fbe69c5.jpg

It says it is an NF.30 cockpit, but the instrument panel looks different compared to known Mossies'. The spade grip is there, as well the radar display boxes, but I can't see the crew access hatch, it should be below the "black box" to the right side of the picture... Well, if this is actually a Mosquito cockpit it is like comparing a Bf-109G with an Bf-109K, their instrument panels are different. The book the pic belongs too is: Aeroplane Icons - Mosquito, used for discussion only. If anyone has further info, please let me know.

the crew access hatch, it should be below the "black box" to the right side of the picture.....

I think fighter mossies have their crew hatches on the side, not in the floor.

--------------------

Edited by barkin mad

Yes, I'm talking the black box at the far right side, in the right wall, crew access hatch is below that box in fighter Mosquitoes, but i only see some cables, no hatch there. I'm starting to think it is not an NF.30... Well, awaiting for more info, I need to build the cockpit frst to join the fuselage side, otherwise sculpting a new nose for my kit (an 1/72 Airfix Mosquito) will be a little difficult. Best regards.

José.

That is a Dunlop Mk II spade grip as fitted to a number of late war and post war RAF fighters, although I don't believe it is usually associated with the Mosquito. The radar is the Mk X set as captioned. I'm wondering if this is possibly a mock up cockpit used for instruction? The restored NF30 (RK952) is fitted with the fighter stick usually associated with Mosquito fighter variants.

Link

peebeep

NFMkXXX_cockpit_zps8fbe69c5.jpg

It says it is an NF.30 cockpit, but the instrument panel looks different compared to known Mossies'. The spade grip is there, as well the radar display boxes, but I can't see the crew access hatch, it should be below the "black box" to the right side of the picture... Well, if this is actually a Mosquito cockpit it is like comparing a Bf-109G with an Bf-109K, their instrument panels are different. The book the pic belongs too is: Aeroplane Icons - Mosquito, used for discussion only. If anyone has further info, please let me know.

I'm not convinced this is a Mosquito. I can't see any instrumentation or controls for a twin-engined aircraft, and the switch console on the right would be blocking the hatch.

John

Yep. Even allowing for a certain amount of internal rearrangement, you're still going to need your engine instruments.

I do find myself thinking "Vampire"...

John

I would agree with you John. That is not a Mossie of any mark. Things that give it away that it is a De Havilland product is the throttle and rudder pedals. Similar to a Mossie's but the cockpit seat and windscreen are definitely not.

I am by no means an expert..but that MAY be a night fighter Venom. Dehavilland desing, side by side seating and single engine.

sorry for going off topic,

Sean

I think the 2-seat Venom had a console between the seats, at least if the Matchbox kit was anything to go by.

John

I am by no means an expert..but that MAY be a night fighter Venom. Dehavilland desing, side by side seating and single engine.

sorry for going off topic,

Sean

I think the 2-seat Venom had a console between the seats, at least if the Matchbox kit was anything to go by.

John

I had a look through my J 33 book (the swedish Venom N.F.51 version based on the N.F.2) and it looks exactly as that picture, except for the spade grip stick.

So i'm pretty sure that is a Night Fighter Venom version pictured. (still of topic)

/Johan