Brian Shul and the SR-71

We now return you to your regularly schedule program...whatever that may be.

[/font]

Well these two internet lawyers were arguing online without their clients knowledge or consent. Then it turned into a nature photo thing?? I threw some gifs in there and told everyone about my affair with Judge Judy, and then you explained one of the gifs. There was also some Iwo Jima stuff in there too. Its been a wild 5 pages alright.

Very entertaining! Let's see....

"Tuna" said I was cool once

Picture710_zpsea7abc0a.jpg

Unstaged 35mm

raisingflagpole_zpsa78be9a4.jpg

Staged 35mm

blueshirts_zps282fa4f4.jpg

35mm nature

Picture498_zps16d0856e.jpg

Digital nature

009_zpsb2c70ed7.jpg

Action

scan0023_zps50f9755c.jpg

Static

scan0026_zps9c9fc947.jpg

and just because they're cool, the Marines

Picture739_zpse0eb37b9.jpg

I am acclaimed, published and you've never heard of me.

Oh and I build models, once in a blue moon...

Jan08071.jpg

Now, first the disclaimer...I have nothing but the greatest respect for the US Marines, having served alongside them in the Balkans, and subsequently become good friends with a bunch of retired Marines (almost said ex-marines, but they don't exist...)

That being said, the picture of them standing at attention by the flag has me puzzled. Their knees are bent, their behinds are trust out, their arms are not straight...

It honestly looks like they are trying to avoid soiling their drawers.

Is this the normal Marines way of standing at attention? I don't remember having seen it that way, and I know I would be doing push ups for a while if I had been standing like that...

Ken

Now, first the disclaimer...I have nothing but the greatest respect for the US Marines, having served alongside them in the Balkans, and subsequently become good friends with a bunch of retired Marines (almost said ex-marines, but they don't exist...)

That being said, the picture of them standing at attention by the flag has me puzzled. Their knees are bent, their behinds are trust out, their arms are not straight...

Is this the normal Marines way of standing at attention? I don't remember having seen it that way, and I know I would be doing push ups for a while if I had been standing like that...

Ken

Little known fact - Marines are not true Homo Sapiens. They are a unique creature that has partially devolved back to a semi-Neanderthal.

Hence the inability to stand up straight.

Eddie,

I really like those pictures! There. I've said it. Now, having said that, you can now boast that you are "acclaimed". Since we are all model builders here, you can now also say that you are "acclaimed by your peers". I think that's how it works, right?

Eric

Ken

Its what I like to call the "aggressive attention" position. The knees are bent because locking them will make you pass out, Though not usually as bent as you see there (no one wants to pass out, so it can be a little exaggerated) The rest however is something I see a lot. "Chicken winged" arms, they have tensed all their muscles to look intense, and thats why that short one in the middle looks like he is about to jump off the back of the ship into the freezing water. Drill instructors often strike this pose (thus leading to recruits adopting it and the habit stays) DIs also like to protrude their heads forward:

120618-M-BC982-002.JPG

but it seems to be a habit that no one adopts (always looked uncomfortable to me)

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Thank you Gentlemen!

Eric, it is nice to be recognized by ones peers. Sorta like The Oscars, though I seem to have miss placed my prepared speech for the occasion...:)

Those Marines, which were part of the MARDET on the Midway, were tasked with raising the colors while we were anchored out. They are very serious about their job and their position of attention shows that dedication.

...and I looked at those three Marines with their posture so weird ..than I thought they must have eaten a hot spicy Chicken Vindaloo and are desperate for the little boys room.. :taunt::rofl:

Edited by HOLMES

I've stood at attention for many long hours with straight knees without passing out...so not buying that reasoning.

We did however have a "relaxed" attention stance, where we could position our feet about a foot apart. This however had to be ordered by the officer and could not be adopted on our own. In 4 years of service I got that order exactly once, during honor guard at a funeral.

Ken

Interesting to see where this thread is off to next...

I've stood at attention for many long hours with straight knees without passing out...so not buying that reasoning.

We did however have a "relaxed" attention stance, where we could position our feet about a foot apart. This however had to be ordered by the officer and could not be adopted on our own. In 4 years of service I got that order exactly once, during honor guard at a funeral.

Ken

Interesting to see where this thread is off to next...

>>> Clicky <<<

It does happen ...

-Gregg

4347091786_13ee4114b5.jpg

We had multiple recruits lock their knees and pass out, complete with neck injuries when I was in boot camp. Whether you believe that is possible or not, that is why they are bending their knees. They are trained and reminded constantly not to lock their knees so they bend them.

This is coming from a US Marine.

16k6p91.jpg

pb-120320-soldier-faints-445p.photoblog900.jpg

royal-guard-passed-out-faint-17.jpg?w=500&h=336

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

At a rather useless and incredibly long NROTC summer whites uniform inspection, in formation, on grass...

Dude in the front row passes out...holds parade rest all the way to the ground...

Our Assistant Marine Officer Instructor, a certain SSGT Too (pronounced "TOW" - he's Samoan) bellows out that we should take note of how he maintained parade rest all the way to the grass.

"That's Motivating...that is how you pass out"

Followed up by a female in the second row that passed out, hit the guy in front of her and left a lipstick stain on the back of his pant leg...which the SSGT gigged him for.

Ahhh....good times, good times.

Followed up by a female in the second row that passed out, hit the guy in front of her and left a lipstick stain on the back of his pant leg...which the SSGT gigged him for.

She fell pretty hard for him, eh?

We were told not to not lock our knees from bootcamp on. At graduation, we were also told not to resist the "body snatchers" who were on the lookout for those who did lock their knees and looked like they were about to face plant.