Taking a class on World Civilization from 1500 to now and I turned in the topic of aviation but I may have bit off more than I can handle, especially since this is the first paper ive ever had to do over one page. I had aviation history on my mind but not how it relates to world civilization. Could anyone be kind enough to offer up some ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Taking a class on World Civilization from 1500 to now and I turned in the topic of aviation but I may have bit off more than I can handle, especially since this is the first paper ive ever had to do over one page. I had aviation history on my mind but not how it relates to world civilization. Could anyone be kind enough to offer up some ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

I would take it from the perspective of a transportation method. in 1500 going from Europe to the new world took how long? vs what it takes after the invention of the aircraft. Airplanes have made the world much smaller, and aviation lead into space flight. Think big picture.

If you want to get grim you can talk about how airplanes have influenced warfare with the destruction of cities... which is a bit of taking civilizations apart.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Is this a college level essay? If so how many pages or word count? That can help with the topic.

Chris since I assume it will be double spaced I would suggest a micro portion of aviation history. I don't suggest something that is very broad. Professors prefer you stay within the guidelines, in this case four pages, try to write about a specific aviation event. May I suggest the story of the Enola Gay and the dropping of the bomb on Hiroshima. It is compact enough for four pages yet it changed the course of mankind on earth.

I'm not an expert writer but if you need help I can help you, at least with proof reading and such. I am just about to finish my BS soi have experience with college level writing. Just saying if you need help I would be more than happy to give it to you.

Four pages isn't much - definitely limit the topic like people said. Aircraft are a tiny part of world cargo transportation (a fraction of 1%) so I wouldn't do that (unless you want to talk about a particular air cargo related topic like fruit distribution or Cargo Cults). And I'd probably avoid military topics - military historians are constantly debating the importance of events and technologies and that's just going to muddy your topic. For this kind of paper it's better to find a not-too controversial point of view and stick with it.

I would probably do it on passenger service, particularly the introduction of jet airliners. That had specific and noticeable effects on culture, human distribution, business, and other aspects of human history.

How about how aviation has driven the need for a global language (i.e., for air traffic controllers).

Or how aviation has affected tourism (choose one region, such as the Caribbean).

Or how aviation has changed a country (choose a remote region, such as South Africa).

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

I've always been fascinated by the idea that my grandmother was born the year the Wright brothers took their first plane to the air, and lived to see a regular shuttle service to the International space station. She often talked about seeing the first bike in her small town, the first car( she always told the story about the coal merchant who was the first to buy a car, and the first time he parked it in the garage, he tried to stop by calling out 'whoa, horse', crashing through the back wall)... It's awesome to think what kind of changes her generation witnessed. Maybe that generation would be an angle for an essay.

• 6 years later...
On 8/1/2013 at 2:54 AM, spejic said:

Four pages isn't much - definitely limit the topic like people said. Aircraft are a tiny part of world cargo transportation (a fraction of 1%) so I wouldn't do that (unless you want to talk about a particular air cargo related topic like fruit distribution or Cargo Cults). And I'd probably avoid military topics - military historians are constantly debating the importance of events and technologies and that's just going to muddy your topic. For this kind of paper it's better to find a not-too controversial point of view and stick with it.

I would probably do it on passenger service, particularly the introduction of jet airliners. That had specific and noticeable effects on culture, human distribution, business, and other aspects of human history.

Couldn't agree more.  Keep in mind that, with you starting college, you'll be lucky if you get future projects that are as "short" as four pages.  When I was taking my socio-economic history classes, 20 pages was the norm for all my projects.  I can't believe that you didn't have to write reports greater than one page while in high school.

Your class encompasses world history starting with the 1500s up through present time.  I know you wanted to focus on aviation and its affect on the world, but I'd probably start off with a very brief mention to the reader that, for the first 400 years of your class's scope, the world got by on dirt roads, horseback, sailboats, steamships and railroads.  Think of how the advent and use of aviation has benefited the quality of life of the entire world!  Aircraft now whisk people on a daily basis to hospitals.  They transport life-saving organs.  They save entires fields of crops through the use of pest control.  They fly into storms so we can better study and understand them thereby saving countless numbers of lives.  Through the use of aviation, we can now fight forest fires and erect communication towers in the most remote places.  How many people would have died during horrible floods if helicopters hadn't plucked them off of rooftops?  What about the aviation that takes us into outer space where we can study the effects of drought, population growth, etc.  It places satellites into orbit where we can communicate with someone in real time on the other side of the earth.  The use of GPS satellites can now guide us across an entire continent for a new family that's moving or even just across town for a new teenage driver.

Your class spans the time from 1500 up until today.  Think of how much the world has grown in the first 400 years and compare it to how much it's grown over the past 100 since the birth of aviation.

Eric

The reason this thread surfaced again was because some FINE "member" is desperately trying to look legitimate.

I've reported the post. Hopefully they'll be dealt with...

On 7/31/2013 at 9:10 PM, kg4kpg said:

Thanks,

Chris

Perhaps Chris could update us if he finished it, got graded, graduated, went to graduate school, etc. 

Ha, just saw a notification this thread was back. I actually went a different route on that paper. Spanish New World was my subject if I remember correctly. Got an A. Graduated Cum Laude Dec 2015 just two months shy of my 50th birthday. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...