Reviving the "Music for the Workbench" thread.

Yep, reviving a zombie subject again that has been done several times. I think the other got trashed in the various moves and updates and achiving.

If I could ever get back to the workbench (which I currently have no room for in this house) to build models. I would be listening to some sublime trumpet playing by Alison Balsom.

Alessandro Marcello's Oboe Concerto in C minor (transposed for trumpet).

I'm a classical (baroque) music geek.

So what would YOU listen to?...and/or WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY LISTENING TO...thread while you're sitting at the model-bench inhaling glue fumes while working on the latest offering by Hasegawa or whatever.

Edited by The_Animal

When I was up and running down in Fallon, I didn't have a TV in the room so it was either my iTunes (which has about 5,000 songs of varying flavors), or streaming sports radio.

Up here, where admittedly I've only been able to get back at it recently (in the past 14-15 months or so), I have a TV so I listen to/watch Mariners games, hockey games, NFL Network, MLB network, SportsCenter (when the NBA has faded from their radar and no longer spoken of), Family Guy, and/or whatever interesting movie/documentary I happen to find whilst channel surfing. I still occasionally fire up iTunes or Pandora too though.

Would love to listen to the Dan Patrick show while modelling but I model late at night. Though I suppose I could listen to it on-demand of the website. Honestly hadn't occiured to me (though I do see a good portion of their show daily while getting ready in the morning...)

I usually listen to vinyl punk records but when I'm building a model it's a PITA get up and flip the records ever (god forbid if it's a 7"). So I listen to the This American Life podcast when I work.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Cliff Martinez' scores for Drive and Only God Forgives have been getting my mojo going lately, otherwise i dont listen to or watch anything. Modelling time is my time and sometimes the sound of paint hitting plastic is music to my ears. I would listen to my punk and ******** vinyl but run into the same issues xavi84 mentioned.

For me, I've got a few CDs of ELO, Judas Priest and KISS to put on, as well as soundtrack albums. But lately I've been popping up Youtube on the PC next to my bench and putting on instrumental albums to listen to while I airbrush. Choices have included Space, Tangerine Dream, Pink Project and Kraftwerk (Autobahn is a great way to kill 20 minutes during an airbrush session). But for one recent project, which involved painting up the display base of my 1/350 TOS Enterprise to look like a planet, I put on some Enya and this is what I ended up with:

stand1_zps3ab2218a.jpg

And as soon as football season starts, I'll likely be using NFL Thursday night football as noise while I build by the television (unless it is a Saints game, then I will likely put the model down and watch instead).

I traditionally put my I-Pod on shuffle and just get surprised. My library is almost 11,000 songs of many types. That being said, this weekend was spent listening to my most favorite artist, J.J. Cale. My weekend was a memorial to his passing. He will truly be missed by many, I will not be the exception. Being from Tulsa, I spent many an evening in the late 60's and early 70's in the clubs he played in town.

Jager

I generally listen to anything from A Capella to Zydeco, but particular favourites for playing whilst modelling are Detroit techno (Kevin Saunderson, Juan Atkins, Drexciya, Jeff Mills, Scan 7 etc), industrial electronic (Skinny Puppy, Frontline Assembly, Laibach, DAF, Front 242 etc) and electro/electroclash (Ladytron, Miss Kittin, Lesbians on Ecstasy, Fischerspooner etc), but sometimes Kraftwerk, Pink Floyd (especially Ummagumma), Tegan & Sara and Jean-Michel Jarre are great to listen to whilst modelling, too. That said I don't ever play vinyl whilst working, in large part because my turntable is downstairs and my hobby room is upstairs...

I've recently become totally hooked on Christian neo-classical power metal bands, two from Sweden in particular, Narnia and Harmony. Carl Johan Grimmark of Narnia is a phenomenal power metal guitarist!

I listen to them at the model bench and at work.

Eric