Iridescent effect on HUDs

Hi all,

I've been intrigued at the full-size Strike Eagles and Super Hornets with that eye-catching HUD that changes color as you look at it from different angles. Now I've read that you can achieve that effect with iridescent film or confetti future-ed onto the HUD. But unfortunately for me, I've had little luck finding these iridescent films here in Singapore.

So with that, is there another method I can do to achieve that same iridescent effect on clear parts without using iridescent film?

Qian

What I do is I take some Tamiya clear green and paint just the edges of the HUD "glass" after dipping in future. It kind has a fiber optic type thing going on where if you look at it from different angles the HUD will be tinted green and some angles it won't.

ETA: The effect works better if you use pieces of acetate instead of the thick kit supplied HUD glass.

Edited by NJJK

Hi all,

I've been intrigued at the full-size Strike Eagles and Super Hornets with that eye-catching HUD that changes color as you look at it from different angles. Now I've read that you can achieve that effect with iridescent film or confetti future-ed onto the HUD. But unfortunately for me, I've had little luck finding these iridescent films here in Singapore.

So with that, is there another method I can do to achieve that same iridescent effect on clear parts without using iridescent film?

Qian

Do you have access to a card shop or place that sells items for parties? The clear film that they use for wrapping gifts or baskets in, often times is the iridescent film that you're looking for.

HTH

I think that these methods could simulate the color and the transparency, but not the iridien effect.

Here in Brazil one pal showed his method, who consits in take a CD and and carefully detach one of the many layers used in the making of the CD media, by record side. This layer will be green and will get the exact effect desired. Then, you could just cut the plastic to the desired shape. Credits by Paulo Regini.

Go to a party store that sells gift wrap. There, you'll find ribbon/bow material that is just what you're looking for. The right stuff is irridesent and actually changes colors as you change angles. Looks fabulous. I can't imagine peeling a layer off of a CD.

• 2 months later...

Film options:

Art Store Film Probably also get it at Michaels etc etc.

Hase version Your LHS should be able to order it I expect?

Ebay listing

Me,

I'd go to the bulk store/party/cake decorating place, then the art store. Ordering from EBAY or overseas seems a bit on the pricey side. I only included the links to be thorough and provide options.

Edited by Av8fan

Thanks for the links Av8fan, they were helpful. Unfortunately both of my local hobbie shops have closed down in the last year so now I have to order everything online, which isn't too bad but, they rape you on shipping these days.

Steve

I use star shaped confetti that has the film on it. The actual confetti itself is too thick, but I use a blade to trim the thin film off and then attach it to the hud with future. Here's a link to my page where I show off an F-22 using this method.

Reflects greens and purples nicely.

Edited by scapilot

Go to a gift wrapping store and look for the clear gift wrap paper.....here I got it at Micheal's. You have several options on the main colour of the gift wrap as some might have a pink/blue or even clear hue. I got the green hue. I got a roll for just under $10 CAD will last me a life time.

If you still can't find any I can get you some from my stash.

:cheers:

Emil

• 4 months later...

This is the Opal Transparent Packaging Wrap from Michael's craft store:

film-01.jpg

film-02.jpg

film-03.jpg

film-04.jpg

film-05.jpg

Depending on how light hits it, there are several different shades of color.

This would be the desired effect:

favorite-007b.jpg

Edited by Midway Sailor
  • 2 weeks later...