Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

I've been a member of ARC for some time, but always shied away from posting here, thought it was time to become an active member . Recently I completed the Tamiya 1/48 scale F4U-1A Corsair. I found the fit to be excellent, parts are well detailed, and the cockpit has more then enough detail for an OOB. I used all Tamiya acrylic paints for the entire build. Weathering is a combination of acrylic washes and Flory light and dark washes. Decals are kit supplied. Since I went with the tri-camo paint scheme, the upper Sea dark Sea Blue is really dark, even with my attempt to fade the paint with gray/blue washes. I decided to try a light color pin wash for the panel lines, as a dark color pin wash would be nearly invisible in a photograph. While it certainly met that objective, I'm not sure I'm really happy with the final results. Any and all comments would be great appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Joel

F4U-1AUpdate07_14_13_001.jpg

F4U-1AUpdate07_14_13_007.jpg

F4U-1AUpdate07_14_13_005.jpg

F4U-1AUpdate07_14_13_006.jpg

F4U-1AUpdate07_14_13_010.jpg

F4U-1AUpdate07_14_13_004.jpg

F4U-1AUpdate07_14_13_021.jpg

Edited by Joel_W

Good evening Joel, i very much like your corsair, beautiful work indeed.

As for the dark sea blue it looks ok to me, judging from the pics.

Regarding the light color pin wash, you are right, it seems overlighted. You can correct it if you want adding on top, a very dilluted black oil wash and work on stages. It may need more than one pass to tone it down, but it works and it is a safe approach.

John

John, been thinking about doing just that. What I thought would look fantastic, didn't exactly end up that way. Oh well, at least I know better for the next Corsair, which will be a 1D. I plan on building every variant in 1/48 every few models.

Falcon20driver, thanks so much for the positive comment.

Very nice work.

The only thing that I would suggest you to do is, to add some weathering effects especially near the engine's cowling and to the under-surfaces. If you could also add the engine's exhaust stains it would look much better.

Keep up the good work!!

Sernak

Sernak, that's for your positive feedback. Will try to add some exhaust stains for that final touch. The bottom did receive a wash of flory dark wash. Perhaps it's a little to uniform, so you don't really notice it.

Fly-n-hi, Thanks for you positive comment. the light panel lines does make the panels stand out, which was my objective to start with. What I think I'll do next time, is only use the light wash on the dark Sea Blue instead of also on the Intermediate blue.

Joel

Sernak, that's for your positive feedback. Will try to add some exhaust stains for that final touch. The bottom did receive a wash of flory dark wash. Perhaps it's a little to uniform, so you don't really notice it.

Fly-n-hi, Thanks for you positive comment. the light panel lines does make the panels stand out, which was my objective to start with. What I think I'll do next time, is only use the light wash on the dark Sea Blue instead of also on the Intermediate blue.

Joel

The light panel wash looks great! I'd leave it alone. Is the antenna mast off center or just camera angle?