Summer Buddy-Build Revell 747-400

Finished!

20140201_085835.jpg

20140201_085819.jpg

Took 1st in Civil Aircraft category.

20140201_164511-1.jpg

OK Dutycat... GET TO WORK! ;-)

On a side note, the after market decals I used allowed the judges to ding my entry due to a door graphic not aligning with the kits recessed door detail. With the nature of the decal layout, I could not alter the decal to fit over that door without affecting the symmetry of window placements and hull markings. To alleviate this problem, I suggest filling in the door details except for the forward most to give yourself a visual starting point and leave the rest of the graphics to fall where they may.

Tracy

Edited by Vidar 710

Finished!

Took 1st in Civil Aircraft category.

OK Dutycat... GET TO WORK! ;-)

On a side note, the after market decals I used allowed the judges to ding my entry due to a door graphic not aligning with the kits recessed door detail. With the nature of the decal layout, I could not alter the decal to fit over that door without affecting the symmetry of window placements and hull markings. To alleviate this problem, I suggest filling in the door details except for the forward most to give yourself a visual starting point and leave the rest of the graphics to fall where they may.

Tracy

Good advice on the door frames. As I get mine done I will post pics here.

Well done Tracy and congratulations on the win, and getting it done in time!

One of my favorite BA specialty schemes.

I always fill door outlines. I find almost no decal ever lines up and it just looks better that way.

• 2 years later...

Yes, three years late. The result of working on too many projects at once. Probably the best way to show all of the progress on the 747 is to just source some images from the Dutycat Arts build blog.

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

25.JPG

28.JPG

29.JPG

31.JPG

Edited by DutyCat

More....

30.JPG

20160429_133316.jpg

20160429_140732_001.jpg

20160429_140844.jpg

20160429_140919.jpg

20160429_225249.jpg

This last pic is how she sits right now. Next there are a ton of decals to put on. You probably will notice that the Dragon Boat decal is already down. That is something I had to do in order to set the border between the bottom of the boat and the blue. You just can't do it without the decal in place, as if you are off by a millimeter, it might as well be a thousand miles. Masking was done VERY carefully and using a few "tricks" to keep the decals from pulling up.

I have some other updates on projects I can post as well. I have not been as active on the boards lately as I should have been. Sorry guys. I will try to do better, especially this summer. You guys are important, and I love seeing your work and sharing mine with you.

Gil Gregg

Edited by DutyCat
  • 1 month later...

Wow!

I was wondering if you were dicing with death masking over those decals Gil! Though you obviously thought it out before so.

Thanks for the belated update. It sure is looking good!

70.gif

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Wow!

I was wondering if you were dicing with death masking over those decals Gil! Though you obviously thought it out before so.

Thanks for the belated update. It sure is looking good!

70.gif

Thanks. I did the best I could with it and it looks fine from a distance. However, there are some issues caused by the fact that the decal design is not perfectly matched to the model architecture, and everything is tied into everything else. I had to fudge things here and there to get it all to fit. For example that tail stinger is not supposed to be up in the vertical stab, and there are some issues with the height of the windows (they are supposed to run right down the middle of that center panel). Lots of little adjustments. Hindsight is always 20/20 with complex projects. If I had it to do over, I would know in advance what decal inaccuracies to compensate for. Everything is driven by how the Dragon Boat sits on top of the wing camber. The boat is probably a quarter inch too high.

The lesson learned here is, with a project like this, it is probably a good idea to photocopy the decals, cut out the major graphics, and tape them to the fuselage to so how everything fits together. If the decal needs to be modified, you can see how and do it before the decal hits the water. Still, not bad for my second ever airliner model. I learned a lot from screwing up the Airfix 737 three or four times before finally getting one built.

Edited by DutyCat
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Gils wife was able to get all his models home after cleaning out all his stuff in his class room. He had his part of the buddy build on display for his students, so we never got a shot of our 74's together before he passed. Finally, here they are...

20180712_202824.jpg

20180712_202745.jpg

20180712_202948.jpg

Tracy

Yes, very NICE build indeed. I am convinced that there are no "shake & bake" kits; all kits require some degree of skill to overcome their shortfalls and both of you have done a marvelous job!  I raise a toast to you both!  R/ Dutch