Aloha everyone!!

Just wondering if anyone knew what colors are used for this scheme, the Have Glass 5 on the F-16. I've read that it closely resembles the F-35 so I was going to use FS 36118 which I believe is Gunship Gray. But I'm not sure if this is overall or if there's a second gray in use on the underside maybe. Furthermore does this change up what the color of the weapons carried would be. Help!!!

Thank you in advance!!

Kurt

Not really my field, but this discussion on the topic:

http://www.scalemodelworld.net.net/showthread.php?t=16355

...has some pictures in hangar light and in sunlight of the same airframe, and may help you out a bit.

I'll copy and paste part that may help you:

"There are actually two tones of the late HG coating for the Viper. One dark (which is being likened to FS36118) and a medium tone HG gray. look at the NLG door in Pete's pic and you can see the difference side by side, as the NLG door is split between the two."

but I suggest you check out the thread. It's only a little over 1 page long.

As for weapons, I do not believe they would ever receive the same application. The weapons are universally interchangable from airframe to airframe, and adding drag-inducing heavy RAM coatings to them would be severely detrimental to the weapons' performance in flight.

While I don't have actual evidence to prove this, everything inside of me screams out that no weapons would ever get this treatment. ...for what it's worth...

• 2 weeks later...

The 85th Test and Evaluation Squadron and old Have Glass scheme jets may have demarcation lines, but the operational line jets from the Minnesota ANG are a solid overall single gray with some slightly lighter shades on certain panels

91-0391 "Cube 31" arriving to Moron AFB in route from USA to Kandahar, Afghanistan. From ANG 148th FW, 179th FS "Bulldogs", Duluth International Airport, Minnesota.

"Cube 31" Shot #2

Here's a tank from the "new" scheme hung under the wing of an "old" scheme jet. Good example of the differences between the new and old grays. As you can see, this new color is not 36118.

Another tank shot, different jet from before.

Lockheed-Martin has a company jet in the overall gray as well.

0008_330_zpse0331a3b.jpg

An Edwards jet from February 2012. Frankly, the gray looks closer to 36081 or "Navy Engine Gray" than it does to 36118.

Another shot of the Lock-Mart jet..

f-35-f-16-and-f-18-in-formation.jpg

Edited by Tony Stark

Going to have to dis-agree with you here Tony. If you look at the last pic you posted of the Lock-Mart jet (GORGEOUS jet BTW) and you look at the NLG door, you can tell there is a demarcation line right at the crew name. The bottom of the door is lighter than the top. There is at least two tones of gray on that aircraft. They are close to each other, but different tones.

Aaron

Going to have to dis-agree with you here Tony. If you look at the last pic you posted of the Lock-Mart jet (GORGEOUS jet BTW) and you look at the NLG door, you can tell there is a demarcation line right at the crew name. The bottom of the door is lighter than the top. There is at least two tones of gray on that aircraft. They are close to each other, but different tones.

That is only for AF 90-848 (the one with Lockheed markings on the tail). The later aircraft don't have a light patch on the front gear door or the tail root.

That difference in shades is most likely the result of a variation of application of the LO materials, not a different gray (not uncommon on a T&E jet). There is nothing gained from intentionally having two shades of gray so close in hue and value on the airframe like that, especially in such obscure locations. If you want to build that particular jet, then fine, add a drop of white to your mix when you spray those particular panels (no different from mixing in extra white or black to your mix if you wanted to build this jet), but if you look at line jets Cube 31 and Cube 32, there is no such variation.

Edited by Trigger

Gents:

Decals in 1/72 scale for the Duluth F-16CM should be out by the first of September on Wolfpak Decals sheet 72-062 along with a few other interesting subjects. Will try to post the instruction sheet artwork during this week.

Mark

Wolfpak Decals

Gents:

Decals in 1/72 scale for the Duluth F-16CM should be out by the first of September on Wolfpak Decals sheet 72-062 along with a few other interesting subjects. Will try to post the instruction sheet artwork during this week.

Mark

Wolfpak Decals

Will we see these offered down the road in 1/48? Any thoughts on doing Lockheed's D model?

Will we see these offered down the road in 1/48? Any thoughts on doing Lockheed's D model?

Came here to ask this. I'd like to start trying to get the right finish if I know that decals are in the works. Also, just to note that the 148th only painted one jet in this scheme.

Brian

Came here to ask this. I'd like to start trying to get the right finish if I know that decals are in the works. Also, just to note that the 148th only painted one jet in this scheme.

Brian

Is this a trial scheme or a mod that will eventually be fleet-wide?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone ever seen a Have Glass (X) paint job on an F-15? In addition to the F-16 the F-22, F-35 and even the V-22 Osprey have sported what looks like Have Glass paint but I've never seen it on an Eagle....

Color scheme is quite simple: overall FS36118 Gunship Gray with FS36270 Neutral Gray markings.

Nooooope.

5975888531_e26e53f9d5_z.jpg

7765048888_42ed1a4a35_z.jpg

7816616274_2365a98479_z.jpg

7782265650_563e138788_z.jpg

4325666233_6808196b37_z.jpg

This new gray is darker and warmer. 36118 is slightly lighter and bluer. You'd be better off using 36081 as a basis for your mix.

Color scheme is quite simple: overall FS36118 Gunship Gray with FS36270 Neutral Gray markings.

No idea on what the FS is but the paint has "special" features that regular coatings don't have. Definitely not Gunship Gray.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder which would be easier - mixing regular gray paint with metallics or metal-sheen paints (Metal-Cote, Alclad, etc); using metal-sheen paints with a flat-ish overcoat, or gray paint with a shiny overcoat of some kind. I'm leaning towards the last option myself, not that I have any kits to test it on right now. :(

I wonder which would be easier - mixing regular gray paint with metallics or metal-sheen paints (Metal-Cote, Alclad, etc); using metal-sheen paints with a flat-ish overcoat, or gray paint with a shiny overcoat of some kind. I'm leaning towards the last option myself, not that I have any kits to test it on right now. :(/>

MarkS has had good results on his F-22s with that last method. He painted the base grays and then laid down multiple thin coats to build up the sheen.