1/72 Accurate Miniatures F-4C/D

So, since my Marines RF-4B is just about done, I think I'll have time for one more entry - this will be GB entry #8, and at the same time, a personal milestone - my tenth Phantom!

I'll be using the Accurate Miniatures F-4C/D kit, and my plan is to use these ROKAF decals for an F-4D in SEA scheme from Monokio. I'm going to have to do some experimenting with some decals off this sheet that I won't need (there's one scheme on here I've already done earlier in the GB!), because these decals are... strange. According to the instruction sheet, they can be applied as stickers, or as decals (wet the spot you want it to go, apply the decal, etc) or as dry transfers. If I feel comfortable enough with these decals by the time I reach the painting stage of this build, I'll use them, otherwise I'll use the kit decals for the Michigan ANG scheme.

100_0550_zpsbb45ed50.jpg

Neat project! If I understand the Monokio decals correctly, they are similiar to some 1/144th decals I have from MYK Decals. Basically, you apply them like waterslide decals. Then, after about a day you remove the "clear tape" like film from the decal. This results in a very realistical painted on decal. Here are MYK Decals' instructions: http://www.myk-design.com/tank/e_asudeca.html

HTH,

John

Today's progress:

100_0564_zpsd3a9ad83.jpg

Still need to do the intake on the other side. Really don't like the intakes on this!

Did some experimenting with the Monokio decals... they don't seem to want to settle all too well over the raised panel lines, so I'll save these for a Hasegawa F-4D and will use kit decals for this build - one of the Michigan ANG F-4Cs.

Wow! You're really testing the F-4 waters with different manufacturers. So far it looks like a good kit.

V/r

Ron

Now we just need to get you into a MAN'S scale like 1/48!!!monketdance4.gif

Yeah, overall I'm liking this kit. The intakes are rather irritating, though, but on the whole it's definitely not a bad kit.

I'll have some progress photos... when I feel like taking them. Not sure I even feel like working on it tonight! But I've got paint on it - SEA scheme. Did some more playing with the Monokio decals, and I think I can get them to look alright... so ROKAF it will be after all!

Now we just need to get you into a MAN'S scale like 1/48!!!monketdance4.gif

If 1/48 is a man's scale I'll have to go for 1/32, I guess! ;)

But more seriously, it's a space thing. (Though I /do/ want to build a couple of special-to-me subjects in 1/32 - CF-104, F-4, Spitfire... and if a kit ever appears, a Yak-1). But I'm content with 1/72. :)

100_0565_zps2bc6f786.jpg

This is where it's at right now. Hope to finish over the weekend.

Actually using the Monokio decals... I... hm. I don't really like them. They're pretty easy to damage during peeling them off the backing paper. Once you've got them off safely, though, I found that if you dip the whole decal into water, as opposed to just putting some water on the surface, they're as easy to position as any other decal, and then you can give it a little press and it fixes into place. With a bunch of Solvaset slopped on it sets decently, too. All that to say I probably won't be buying more of their decals, though I may very well use the decals for the Hill II F-4D and F-4E included on this sheet.

Thanks, guys! All three colours are out of Tamiya rattle cans - AS13, AS14 and AS15; these all have some Japanese writing with "F-4" in there, so I assumed they're for SEA scheme... and it seems I assumed right! Much happier with the colours on this one than my RAAF F-4E. I should maybe stock up on these three spraybombs to make sure I always have them ready for any SEA scheme build I might go for!

And finished!

100_0570_zps0e094a86.jpg

100_0567_zpscbab4c43.jpg

100_0569_zps5e036fee.jpg

100_0572_zps7c63229a.jpg

More in the finished builds thread!

The kit itself I liked fairly well, apart from the intakes; the raised lines are... well, it's its age, I guess. But it builds up pretty great, and apart from the intakes, no real hassles at all.

The Monokio decals... well, I've already given my opinion!

• 2 weeks later...

looks great Litvyak! 70.gifimpressed of what your able to do with rattle cans!377.gif

my favorite ROKAF bird... it's on my list of Phantom subject i would like to do one day...

it would be really great if you could post a Phamilly portrait of all the Phantoms you did for that group build!

Thanks, Mingwin. :)

I'd like to think I'm getting halfway competent with rattle cans - but I'm really starting to think it's time to get an airbrush soon, so as to be able to get better colour matches and soft lines between colours and whatnot!

This scheme is one of my favourite ROKAF schemes too (along with the Ghost scheme).

And as requested, a Phamily Photo - the 9 GB entries together:

100_0598_zpsa49a8365.jpg

Wild Weasel and a bunch of others, yet, too! But the next one (which I'm going to start on today!) is going to be a USN F-4G in green/white, because that's way too nifty a thing not to do next!