Old Jet, old kit!

As most of the people reading this know, I’ve got a taste for the old and obscure. However, I do also have some more famous planes that I like, and the beautiful Gloster Meteor is one of them. I know that there have been a lot of kits of this thing, and that the new Cyber Hobby is supposed to be pretty good, but that doesn’t prevent me from wanting to build a more “classic†version of this plane!

For fans of the old or those that want to see how it was done 40-odd years ago, check out my newest Out-of-Box revew, that of the 1/72 FROG Meteor Mk. IV . Sure, it’s old, but it looks pretty accurate, and you’ve got to respect your heritage!

frog-meteor-oob-001.jpg?w=640

I, too, have this in my stash! Along with many many other "classic" kits. There is something satisfying about building these using some more modern techniques to produce a decent result. Plus, they often cost quite a bit less then the newer wonder-kits and in some cases (we're looking at YOU, Cyberhobby Sea Venom......) the old dogs are better in the shapes department.

Having just recently finished an old, old Airfix Phantom, I have a new appreciation for modellers who build these old kits and make them look great!

That said, if I never build a kit like that again, it'll be too soon! :)

Smashed Glass:

I hear out about the Cyberhobby Sea Venom. I bought mine because I wanted a fifth British Side-by-Side two-seater, so I could have a collection for an IPMS show (I still have to build most of them, mind you), and because I liked the plane. However, I think the kit was indeed overpriced. Not so for the Meteor, which cost me almost nothing!

There's a lot of fun to be had by taking an old bird and using some new-fangled techniques and tools on her, I agree.

Litvyak:

Your problem with the Airfix Phantom was likely this: it was an Airfix! Frog and Heller kits are FAR AND AWAY superior in almost every respect to an equivalently aged and scaled Airfix.