1:72 Shuttle Tile Detail Set

That looks fabulous. Maybe a stupid question, shouldn't the umbilial panels be sunken in the fuselage and the doors laying on top of the tiles?

Bill pointed that out and I sort of answered that already :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow those look great Hot Dog.

Did you have an idea of ball park price for these once released?

I am thinking of grabbing the RoG Shuttle Atlantis to pair with my Skillcraft Hubble and modeling STS-125 during the repair mission and I would love to have your tile decals to use on it.

Zach

My 1/72 tile set will be parts made of thin styrene sheet with a tile pattern texture, not decals! :) I'm hoping to keep the cost under $50, but I haven't gotten any quotes from my plastics guy yet. This first edition will only work with the Monogram shuttle. A Revell version of my tile kit will have to come later (whenever I get around to building the Revell shuttle).

Edited by Hotdog

Okay then perhaps I will have to do the Monogram stack first....not that this is a burden at all. I love the shuttle and between you and bill my wallet will be very empty.

I did read this thread when it first went up; I had just forgot that you were rendering the tiles in styrene. It is a pretty cool idea I think.

Count me in for sure.

Are you going to offer the tiles for Challenger and Columbia as well? Perhaps that was already asked but Those are two of my favorite Shuttles so having the ability to model them would be great.

Zach

Zach,

When I do the Revell set I will include the tiles for Columbia and Challenger. I am anxious to finish this project up so I can get back to work on my Discovery!

I just finished the aft tiles...all of them, including all the little OMS thruster area bits. I still have the forward RCS section to finish up, and since everyone wants the tiles around the windows, well I guess I have to do that too. So not until I finish all of the pieces can I have the preliminary trial set printed to try out on my shuttle and show off how nice they are. This is what is holding up progress on my shuttle build. I need to start applying tile parts before I proceed with the rest of the body work! SO, I am going to keep plugging away on my tile set, and as stated earlier in this thread, I hope to have all of the parts done by Christmas. It's not cost effective to print some parts now, some parts later. They all need to be a part of the same die, the same tooling. So we all must wait until I have all of the parts ready to print. Trust me, I am just as excited as ya'll are to start seeing these pieces applied to shuttles! I wish I could make the process go faster. It will be worth the wait I'm sure of it. I will keep you posted!

Well I am also looking forward to this. Especially the Revell version since I got one of these in my stash. And I can finally finish my already started in the 90s Monogramm version. I have to say that from looking at your images I am very excited and I will definately order one set for each kit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i don't know if this has been asked or not but will you have your tile set made for 1/144 shuttles?

No just 1/72. Monogram for now, and at some point in the future a Revell 1/72 version

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn't look like I'm going to have the tile sets ready by Christmas thanks to a snag with the AMP window set. The tiles I'm creating to go around the crew cabin are being designed for use with the AMP windows, but as it turns out, the AMP windows are overscaled by 15%. So I'm waiting for a new set of windows from the AMP guys before I continue any further. More on this discovery in my build thread.

In the meantime, I think I have found a local die cutter who can do the job, but I'm waiting to hear back from him on some test prints with .010" styrene sheet.