1:72 Shuttle Tile Detail Set

Personally, I think the entire Monogram shuttle surface accuracy problem can be fixed with two things...the beanycap and a full set of "wallpaper" decals, like Round 2 does with their aztecing patterns on the ST ships. No, you would not have the surface texturing, but in my view that is not critical. The decals could give the appearance of the texturing and that would be good enough for most folks. Instead, we are doing things like cutting out surgical tape or laying out insulation blankets with Evergreen (my approach, which is partially why it is taking so long).

Edited by DutyCat
  • 4 weeks later...

Now that I have purchased my own die cutter, I should be able to sell the complete tile kit in the $50-$75 range. So the price crisis has been averted for now. Just a matter of mastering how to use the machine, finishing the tile pieces, and testing them out on my shuttle to make sure they fit.

For awhile there, it looked like this tile set was never going to see the light of day. So I did start on the blanket decaling idea Dutycat mentioned as my backup plan. I managed to create a very nice decal that fits the belly. Perhaps at some point in the VERY DISTANT future I may come back to that approach. I have too many projects on my plate to work on it now.

Beanie cap looks good! Just a little putty-and-sanding and it will blend right into the fuselage.

Do you still plan to depict the orbiter as Challenger? Because the first edition of my tile set will only have the tiles for Discovery, Atlantis and Endeavour. Challenger and Columbia had tiles all over the nose, tailfin, the tops of the wings, and down the sides.

2eel9bt.jpg

vg4w9g.jpg

You could still use my tile set to depict Challenger, you would just have a few sections that you would have to tile yourself using your own strips of styrene.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes, I have an update, but I'm not ready to share it yet! I'm doing some testing on the tile pieces for the vertical stabilizer portion of the Monogram kit. I will post pictures of that next week, so check back then :)

• 4 months later...

I'm having a beta of the belly tiles produced this week. We'll see how that turns out. I had to modify it ever-so-slightly so that it will fit perfectly when paired with niart17's ET umbilicals and cross member on Shapeways. Fingers crossed.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just now getting the beta test ordered. It's only a partial set, but it's a start. Really hoping this goes well. I'll post more once I have the plastic in hand.

After the Monogram kit's tiles are ready will you be working on a set for the Revell 1/72 kit? You had mentioned this in one of your earlier posts.

That was my original plan, but after all I've been through trying to get this one set produced, I think I will stop with just the Monogram (at least for now). This has been way more work than I imagined, and I have decals to work on.

I hope you will consider making it for the Revell shuttle someday. There are a lot of Revell shuttle kits out there. Although the Monogram has a lot of the details correct I still feel the Revell shuttle's overall shape looks correct. There is just something about it that looks right.