1:72 Shuttle Tile Detail Set

Received the first beta test parts of the tile detail set today. Here's what they look like:

20160825_201119_zpschklpuik.jpg

20160825_201639_zpsnrz1nucv.jpg

20160825_201551_zpsscf8g5o9.jpg

20160825_201146_zpsxmzohyvp.jpg

20160825_195801_zpsmrze2s2t.jpg

20160825_195007_zpsaqyv8f1s.jpg

Looking forward to applying these to my Monogram shuttle and seeing how they fit. Stay tuned...

The tiles look beautiful, and will be worth every penny.

The issue is going to be fit of a flat piece on a compound surface, unless you have the knowledge and skills to design them to compensate for the curves, I imagine that would be difficult without access to Monogram's mold engineering specs or an ability to measure the curves accurately.

In any case, even if they have to be cut into sections and adjusted, they should still be workable and will really look nice.

BTW, I am working on a fresh mold for the Beanie Cap. Poured the top half tonight. I should have some new ones available before too much longer.

G.G.

For the compound curves (like the tiles over the crew compartment), I'm placing masking tape directly onto the model, and drawing the tile detail onto the tape with a pen as best I can. Then, I peel off the tape and stick it flat onto a piece of paper (in some cases, I have to cut it up into strips first). I then scan these on my scanner and voila, I have a template for tracing a digital pattern in Illustrator. Worst case scenario, if this doesn't work, I'll add squares and strips of generic tile patterns that modelers can use to fill in these areas as they see fit.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

20161114_211629_zpsdy7yyfqx.jpg

Here's a quick update on the tiles. A major milestone has been reached: I'm finally applying the first of the tile sheets to a test orbiter!!!

In the photo above, you can see how the stabilizer looks with the first few little strips of tiles applied (with black wash to bring out the detail for photos). I chose to begin with the stabilizer in case I made a mistake, the stabilizer wouldn't be too hard to replace.

20161117_201123_zpsqf5vghj3.jpg

This photo shows how a large sheet like the belly tiles has to be applied: First, you align it carefully with the umbilical and gear door openings, and when you get it in just the right place, you apply tape to hold it in place. Then, you apply glue to a small portion of the center of the sheet (in this case, around the umbilical openings) and let that dry so you can remove the tape and finish gluing the sheet, moving from the center outwards towards the edges.

20161117_215827_zpsabeernzx.jpg

Here's a detail shot, showing the first sheet in place (painted light gray) around the umbilical openings. The umbilical doors are dry-fitted and will not be glued on until the very end after all painting and weathering has been finished.

20161120_151635_zpsvcqmoxwp.jpg

In the above photo, all of the belly tiles have been applied. I still need to get the edges around the chines to lay down, and fill in the seams on the wings. I had some trouble gluing the sheets down. I was using CA glue at first, and it melted and wrinkled the sheet in a few places. I learned quickly that super glue is best for applying these tiles, although there are times when you might want to use a CA, like for getting the sheet to conform to a round shape like the chines. The white splotches you see are where the glue got a little messy and took the paint off.

20161120_151241_zpsh3ndpqme.jpg

With the belly tiles in place, I now have the lay of the land I was needing to map out the rest of the tiles around the chines and nose. Thanks for looking!

Edited by Hotdog
10 hours ago, Hotdog said:

In the above photo, all of the belly tiles have been applied. I still need to get the edges around the chines to lay down, and fill in the seams on the wings. I had some trouble gluing the sheets down. I was using CA glue at first, and it melted and wrinkled the sheet in a few places. I learned quickly that super glue is best for applying these tiles, although there are times when you might want to use a CA, like for getting the sheet to conform to a round shape like the chines. 

Can you clarify this for me Hotdog. CA glue IS Superglue ... do you mean the regular Styrene cement melted the sheet?

And man, these look SPEK-TAK-YOO-LAR!! Great job on this!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello...

Those tiles look really good...as much as I can see so far. Unfortunately this threat has also been heavily affected by the PB issue! :-(

Hotdog, have you explored the possibility of 3D decals already? In the tank and aircraft community there are some sheets around with rivets that stick out, maybe tiles could be done that ways as well?  Also some AM companies, Eduard for example, have products in fexible resin by now...seat belts for example.

Last but not least, when the molds for the Monogram kit were made, were th eoutside measurements taken from Enterprise and 70ties drawings? I guess so... Do we know how much "fatter" the bird got when it put on it's tile dress?

thanks

Uwe

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Hotdog

I just came across with this topic and I have 2 1/72 space shuttles in my stash because I do not like the tile decals I bought before, may I kindly ask if you have already start selling the Tiles sheet now?

Thanks and looking forward to hear from you soon.

With kind regards

Duke

• 2 years later...

It's on hold. I messed up my 1/72 shuttle while installing Homer's beanie cap and fwd RCS parts. One day I'll get back around to it with a new build