Better than the Zvezda?

Isn't the Zvezda a repop of the Italeri?

Yes, the Zvezda and Italeri are one and the sad sad same, and the Amodel/KP kitting is old but marginally better. I'm hoping Zvezda will do a new tool in the style of their 'snap fit' Yak-3, which is a simple but well detailed and engineered kit.

Isn't the Zvezda a repop of the Italeri?

actually it is the other way around...

and the KP La-5FN was considered the best in that scale at the time.

Edited by PFlint

To say the KP model was the best in scale when it appeared is pretty faint praise, and the earlier comment that it was only marginally better than the Italeri is defamatory and grossly misleading. It is a lot better than the Italeri, and a pretty good representation of the subject. I can't compare it to the AML, which certainly has the potential of being better still, but the KP kit will still turn out as a nice model whereas the Italeri/Revell/Zvezda is only fit for the bin. I did use the smaller parts from it for detailing vacform Lavochkins, but that was what we had to do to equip our private VVS in those days.

The main flaw with the KP Lavochkin was a poor transfer sheet, but it was recently rereleased as a double kit with a far superior sheet.

Edited by agboak

Really? Zvezda was around in 1973?

No, you were right in the first place - it was originally released by Italeri, then reissued by Zvezda. Regardless, it's a very poor likeness of a La-5FN.

I'll stand by my statement that we need a newly tooled series of La-5's in 72nd scale.

+1 on that. Sorry, Andrew, but the AML kits are not only rotten to assemble, they also have a variety of accuracy issues. Trouble is, now that they're out there, who's going to want to do them again? The well is poisoned, as they say.

While we're shouting into the void for new 1/72 Lavochkins, injected styrene La-9 and La-11 kits would be welcome too, although Steelwork Models in Germany does extremely nice resin ones.

John

Oh, I know how rotten the AML is to assemble, as I've done one, but 1) I know how to tackle it next time instead of the constant guessing game, and 2) the finished product LOOKS fantastic despite a few inaccuracies, I must say. When I finished it I sat and stared at it...and it almost seemed worth it. Almost.

Oh, I know how rotten the AML is to assemble, as I've done one, but 1) I know how to tackle it next time instead of the constant guessing game, and 2) the finished product LOOKS fantastic despite a few inaccuracies, I must say. When I finished it I sat and stared at it...and it almost seemed worth it. Almost.

The important thing is that you apparently have the courage to tackle another one. I should do the same, instead of being all anal and nit-picky. I will say, though, that however problematic the single-seaters may be, the AML La-5UTI two-seater kit is pretty much unassemblable if you want to use the kit cockpit parts. I tried, and failed horribly - I'm emotionally scarred for life...

John

Yeah, the cockpit was a disappointment for me too with the FN...it took ultra-thinning of the fuselage walls and trimming off the back end of the resin cockpit walls--a pity since the cockpit was absolutely beautifully molded.

For me the toughest thing was the engine--totally invisible when installed, yet necessary for proper mounting of the prop. Fine except that there is absolutely nothing to mount said engine TO!!!

But, with all this in mind, I know now to start right away with some serious dremel-drilling, and I know just where to go on it, and about how much to do. Never anywhere near as tough the second time around. Just like when I kitbashed 3 kits to make a 1/72 F4U-4, the second one I did literally took about 1/3 the time and effort.

Hey, I don't suppose anyone's tried converting Eduard's La-7 to a -5FN? Can't imagine that would be too hard with some FN parts plus filling the wingroot intakes. Graft the nose of an FN onto it, everything forward of the windscreen, and simply redo the landing gear doors. I can't be the first one to think of this, am I?

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Hi,

Yeah, the cockpit was a disappointment for me too with the FN...it took ultra-thinning of the fuselage walls and trimming off the back end of the resin cockpit walls--a pity since the cockpit was absolutely beautifully molded.

For me the toughest thing was the engine--totally invisible when installed, yet necessary for proper mounting of the prop. Fine except that there is absolutely nothing to mount said engine TO!!!

But, with all this in mind, I know now to start right away with some serious dremel-drilling, and I know just where to go on it, and about how much to do. Never anywhere near as tough the second time around. Just like when I kitbashed 3 kits to make a 1/72 F4U-4, the second one I did literally took about 1/3 the time and effort.

Hey, I don't suppose anyone's tried converting Eduard's La-7 to a -5FN? Can't imagine that would be too hard with some FN parts plus filling the wingroot intakes. Graft the nose of an FN onto it, everything forward of the windscreen, and simply redo the landing gear doors. I can't be the first one to think of this, am I?

I know that a competent modeller (AR)has transformed a model of Eduard's La-7 into a La-5FN. Although he did an excellent and clean work, I don't think this is the best way.

The differences between the types include all the nose (different diameter, to begin with), the wing leading edge, the landing gear, cooler, canopy and perhaps other things. One could consider to take some pieces from the Eduard kit to fit them into the KP one, but this reduces to wheels, landing gear legs, cockpit, some decals and few other things.

The La-7 of Eduard, although nice, is not perfect, and some people that compared it to the rough KP kit concluded that the older kit is better at least for its canopy and spinner shaping.

Regards

Massimo

The La-7 of Eduard, although nice, is not perfect, and some people that compared it to the rough KP kit concluded that the older kit is better at least for its canopy and spinner shaping.

Regards

Massimo

Hi Massimo - among the several items made by Steelwork Models for various 1/72 Lavochkins is this corrected La-7 fuselage with spinner, canopy, and oil cooler housing for the Eduard kit:

http://shop.strato.de/epages/61299018.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61299018/Products/SA7214

I too attempted a La-5FN from the Eduard La-7, but I gave up!

John

Edited by John Thompson

Hmm, then what about the Hobby Boss "easy kit" La-7? I have no idea who they based the tooling on for that one, is it basically correct in shapes (I know it's very simple detail wise)?

It's bloody awful - one of the worst of the HB "easy kits". The "rib detail" on the control surfaces looks like nothing on any aircraft, ever. The cowling diameter is undersized, and it has two cowling retaining bands which would be at least 1" thick in real life. The prop is crude. The spinner is too short (like Eduard). The main landing gear door lower sections (the parts that cover the wheels) are offset to the rear of the aircraft in such a way that it makes them look backwards. Avoid this kit - I bought 3 of them sight unseen when it first came out, thinking I could use them for parts to build La-5FNs, but they were useless even as parts donors.

John

Hi Massimo - among the several items made by Steelwork Models for various 1/72 Lavochkins is this corrected La-7 fuselage with spinner, canopy, and oil cooler housing for the Eduard kit:

http://shop.strato.d...Products/SA7214

I too attempted a La-5FN from the Eduard La-7, but I gave up!

Hi John, thank you for the info. I have one of these half-built, so I don't know if the info is in time for it; I think co convive with it. I've a second kit and, given the duplication of trasparent parts in the box, I was considering to convert it into a trainer.

I've seen in time the not so good quality of the Hobby Boss release. It would be excellent for unexperienced boys.

Regards

Massimo

No, you were right in the first place - it was originally released by Italeri, then reissued by Zvezda. Regardless, it's a very poor likeness of a La-5FN.

John

does anyone know when Italeri started making their own molds ?

and more importantly ; what year they stopped ?

Sometime in the early 70's; from the time when they still wrote out their name as "Italerei". As for when they stopped, I'm not too sure but I think in the early 80's. As a note, the Revell of Germany 1/72 La-5 is also this mold.

Edited by SmashedGlass

does anyone know when Italeri started making their own molds ?

and more importantly ; what year they stopped ?

The first kit of the firm, then labeled Italaerei, was a G-55 that was later sold to Supermodel, and recently reissued by Italeri in a vintage box. I think that the first issue was about 1970. The La-5FN should be of the late '70s.

I didn't know that they stopped to make their own moulds. If you mean when they sold the La-5 mould to Zvezda, I think it was in the early '90s.

Regards

Massimo

Edited by Massimo Tessitori

I built their LA-5FN in 73 or 74. It's fixed in my mind as I got married in 75 and I made this little nasty while single.

I don't remember whether the La or their Dora came out first. Both were after the G-55. Don't remember when they stopped doing their own molds.

Italeri's is a sad story. At one time, they were first rate, cutting edge even. No more. I must admit to like ESCI much more than Italeri and am glad many of ESCI's old kits are available under the Italeri label.

As with all companies, it depends which subjects you choose. If you want first rate cutting edge stuff, then their CR42, S78 or S84 are up there. They've always been famous for helicopters, and as far as I known still maintain a high standard there. If you mean WW2 fighters, then they've always been somewhat dodgy there.