:D, I have their SM82 which also has the same problem. I'm thinking of sanding it all off and just using fine stretched sprue for the rib tapes. These can then also be sanded with fine wet & dry or sanding sticks and blocks to give a more scale appearance.

:cheers:,

Ross.

Hi,

I know that a competent modeller (AR)has transformed a model of Eduard's La-7 into a La-5FN. Although he did an excellent and clean work, I don't think this is the best way.

The differences between the types include all the nose (different diameter, to begin with), the wing leading edge, the landing gear, cooler, canopy and perhaps other things. One could consider to take some pieces from the Eduard kit to fit them into the KP one, but this reduces to wheels, landing gear legs, cockpit, some decals and few other things.

The La-7 of Eduard, although nice, is not perfect, and some people that compared it to the rough KP kit concluded that the older kit is better at least for its canopy and spinner shaping.

Regards

Massimo

I am still curious, though, at least in theory. Okay, the whole nose forward of the windscreen is a given, along with the ventral intake, the spinner, the slightly different canopy shaping and the intakes in the wing roots.

However, what's different about the wing leading edge other than the intakes on the -7? Also what's different about the landing gear?

I am still curious, though, at least in theory. Okay, the whole nose forward of the windscreen is a given, along with the ventral intake, the spinner, the slightly different canopy shaping and the intakes in the wing roots.

However, what's different about the wing leading edge other than the intakes on the -7? Also what's different about the landing gear?

The leading edge of La-5 family has a protrusion forward that starts more or less where the main wheel starts.

The La-7 has this protrusion rectified, and its leading edge is made with two straight lines joined more or less where the leg is hinged.

La-7 has a door closing the wheel bay, where La-5 leaves part of the wheel visible when retracted. Besides the main door contour is somewhat different.

Regards

Massimo

I have their SM82 which also has the same problem. I'm thinking of sanding it all off and just using fine stretched sprue for the rib tapes. These can then also be sanded with fine wet & dry or sanding sticks and blocks to give a more scale appearance.

Maybe one could fill with putty, leaving only a slight ondulation, then mask and make the reinforcing tape along the ribs using the thickness of a layer of paint. Only, it requires a lot of masking tape cutten to the width between the reinforcing tapes.

Else, one could try with stripes of decals.

Regards

Massimo

Just for the record, here are some quick shots I just took of my AML FN. Tough to say it's an OOB build with all the work that went in, but it qualifies in having no additional bits from other than the kit unless you count scratching a bulkhead on which to mount the engine.

001-1.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

Well, I do see the canopy itself (sliding part) is flat on top which I believe is correct for the La-7, right? Although in the open position it doesn't really bother me as much as it would if it was closed(less noticeable).

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Think you might be right...just a bit too much curvature perhaps?

Also, apologies on the blurriness of the photos; I was trying to get a few pics on here in a hurry and didn't want to go to the trouble of setting up the camera tripod, which seems to be the only way I can take non-blurry photos.... :bandhead2:

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy
  • 10 months later...

No, you were right in the first place - it was originally released by Italeri, then reissued by Zvezda. Regardless, it's a very poor likeness of a La-5FN.

+1 on that. Sorry, Andrew, but the AML kits are not only rotten to assemble, they also have a variety of accuracy issues. Trouble is, now that they're out there, who's going to want to do them again? The well is poisoned, as they say.

While we're shouting into the void for new 1/72 Lavochkins, injected styrene La-9 and La-11 kits would be welcome too, although Steelwork Models in Germany does extremely nice resin ones.

John

:worship:

Edited by bergr