How To Ship Built Ups?

I know this question has been asked and answered before, but over an hour of determined searching both here and on other sites has not turned up any useful answers.

What is the best way to pack a completed plastic model for the mail so it arrives at its destination still in one piece? To be specific, the model is the 1/72 Airfix Stirling, so we are talking tall, stalky undercarriage, gun turrets, etc.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Karl

In my experience .......it can not be done with out spending more then the model was worth in foam, peanuts bubble wrap and a postal service proof jig.

What I do is......Build the model WITHOUT the parts that are likely to break off. The landing gear, weapons, pitot tubes, all get mailed NOT glued on. The customer puts those little parts on.

Even then your at the mercy of the postal service dead bears or Fed Ex, Expect breakage.

Thanks Phantom, your advice makes perfect sense, and I will remember it for next time. Unfortunately, all the small parts are already glued on, so I will just have to take my chances and hope for the best.

Karl

I have shipped many built models without breakage. What you need is polyester fiberfill, this is the stuff that pillows are stuffed with. You can get it at any craft store or most department stores, Wal-Mart, etc...

Use a sturdy oversize box and cut sheets of cardboard to fit the sides, top and bottom, so that you're making a box within a box so to speak. fill the box half full of the fiberfill and gently put your model in place, then carefully pack it over top of the model.

I shipped 6 1/72 scale helicopters (all in the same box) to Australia from the U.S. using this method and not a single part was broken.

Edited by ilpwnp

Another thing to consider is how you ship it. Sure you can ship something ground for cheaper but it's going to spend a good amount of time loaded in a trailer and you never know what happens. If you pay the extra for next day service you have a much better chance and far less hands touching the box. But that's not cheap. Go to a local shipping center and see what they would charge to pack it for you also.