I've been struggling with getting a model kit built for awhile, so I decided to try something different. I found these "Real Grade" kits and they looked interesting so I picked up the classic RX-78-2 from the original series and the RX-178 Gundam Mk II from Gundam Zeta. These kits are 1:144th scale, on par in size with the High Grade series.

group_shot.jpg

The kits are the typical Bandai multi color plastic, but they've taken it to another level. There are subtle tint differences in different panels

corefighter.jpg

The RX-78-2 comes with a small core fighter. While it is small, it still has nice detail. In the original Gundam series, the pilot would fly around in this fighter and it would fold into a command module and because the cockpit for the Gundam unit. The kit can be integrated in the same way.

rx78_closeup.jpg

Here is the RX-78-2 up close. The detail is insane.

rx78_pose.jpg

And in action.....the RG kits have an inner frame that the armor is built up on. These frames add an insane amount of movement and articulation....much better than the standard poly cap method

And onto the RX-178....

rx178_closeup.jpg

rx178_pose.jpg

The kits included a large amount of decals, warning stencils, etc.....but as they weren't visible on the mecha in the anime, I've left them off mine. These are definitely not the kits to get if you want to have something on your desk that you can fiddle with. The RX-178 is pretty sturdy, but the RX-78-2 is pretty temperamental...limbs come loose. While posing it for the pics, the right arm came off several times, the leg fell off....a real pain!

• 3 months later...