F-111C RAAF Weapons Loadout

Hello, I began to build this bird and I have some doubt about the weapons loadout....I choose to build this bird in Naval Strike configurations, used in the last years planes before radiation.In the box ( the Academy one in 1/48) are included two Popeye missiles and the fuels tanks too. What should I load on the ventral pilon? Maybe mothing but it would be better to know this well in order to avoid to build a false plain. Thanks for the answers!

Some of my F-111C images are here. I thought I have one with a Popeye but I only got the other side.

If you are doing a F-11!C with a Popeye then on the other side of the aircraft was carried the datalink pod and a 500lb inert bomb (as a counterweight)

Some of my F-111C images are here. I thought I have one with a Popeye but I only got the other side.

If you are doing a F-11!C with a Popeye then on the other side of the aircraft was carried the datalink pod and a 500lb inert bomb (as a counterweight)

No, it will carry two Popeyes missile....and off course i will add under the noose the AVQ-26 Pave Track targeting pod.

No, it will carry two Popeyes missile....and off course i will add under the noose the AVQ-26 Pave Track targeting pod.

It's your model but 2 Popeye's isn't accurate, IIRC without the Datalink pod It couldn't launch the missile. The RAAF never carried 2 AGM-142's on the F-111. The Pavetack is in the bomb bay.

Tis is not to dispute what you wrote, but....

I found this article about Air to Surface missiles

http://www.navalofficer.com.au/antiship-missiles/

If you read the Popeye paragraph you will also see an F-111 carrying two Popeyes and the data link pod mounted on the inner Hard point....

See also

this picture

Am I wrong again?

Edited by BlackPanther

There is a difference between possible and probable. Information from the crews that flew them is that the standard load is a single missile balanced with a datalink pod and an inert bomb as a balance on the opposite wing. Your pictures above show training missiles from publicity shots - not warloads. Of course two missiles could be carried but that is not a representative load

The fuel tanks in the Academy kit are very very wrong. Besides the F-111 can fly from Australia to Indonesia and back on internal fuel so very little need for the tanks. There would definitely be clearance issues with the large fins on the missiles and the fuel tanks. The tanks are only used for long range ferry trips.

Here in part 7 of Jim Rotramel's excellent articles on the '111 are some real world loads, including the 'C:

http://www.f-111.net/models/weaponsloads/index.htm

Alas, several parts of my articles could stand some updating, including this one. The F-111C Popeye load is: Popeyes on the outboard pylons (3/6), their data link pod on the left inboard (4), and ELTA ECM pod on the right inboard (5). Nothing on the ventral station.

Were these Popeyes really intended to use against ships? If so, what would be the advantage of them over the Harpoon missile which they already had?

I would assume, man in the loop for terminal guidance. Once you let a Harpoon off the chain, you just have to hope that it hits the target that you really wanted it to based on the seeker logic.

Hoops

Thank you Mrvark! Can you post me a picture of the data link pod? I have two pod in the academy box...just to do things in the right way ;)/>

The Academy pods are correct (done from my drawings). For a single missile load, replace the left inboard missile with a Mk 82 w/conical fin.

The ELTA 8222 ECM pod can also be carried on the ventral station aft of the MLG bay. I have some pics but they're not mine so I can't share them here. I don't know what the final operationally preferable location for ELTA 8222 was.

I built this one below as a magazine review so basically OOB - so it is lacking the inert MK82 inboard of the data link pod ( none came in the kit). Otherwise it depicts my research as a likely single missile load on an RAAF F-111C. The seeker nose of the missile should not be black as I have done but I didn't want to change it.

SAM_0953.jpg

SAM_0979.jpg

SAM_0932.jpg

Hope that helps.

So wich pod between the two in the box kit is the right one? I suppose i could mount only one....maybe i did not understand well

And what about the ELTA ECM pod? The one in the kit is correct?

Here's the datalink pod

Avalon-2007-F-111-01.jpg

• 1 month later...