Academy 1/72 F-14A Jolly Rogers

OK... I've been very patient with this kit thus far, but I find my patience being tested to the limit. Have a look at the pics of the wing pylons below. Anyone noticed the problem?

IMG_6121_zps2a88d238.jpg

IMG_6122_zps97de1ad6.jpg

Anyone?

Give up?

Well... the curved bit, I think, should be on the outside, which is correct for the left wing (bottom pic). But the one for the right wing has the curved bit on the inside. That's bloody silly! I think I'm gonna have to cut off the curved bit in order to fit the Sparrow. Or.... leave them be, and forget the Sparrow. Any ideas/thoughts?

'Later!

Hi Mike

She does look very nice in flight. I had intended building my F-14 in flight (albeit with wings forward and flaps down) but then I gave up on that project and put it back in the box. That was due to be finished in the same colours too so you've almost inspired me to get it back on the bench and have another go. But not quite. Nice job though. Congratulations on getting across the finishing line.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you stop your project?

I just really struggled with the whole engine intake and wheel well assembly and then lost my mojo for the build and other things took my fancy. I occasionally get it back out and think I'm going to get it finished but then I put it away again. I will finish it one day!

Cheers

Ian

I just really struggled with the whole engine intake and wheel well assembly and then lost my mojo for the build and other things took my fancy.

Yeah... the engine intake can be pretty tricky. For this Academy one, I used Tamiya extra thin cement, and holding the intake in place for a minute or so, long enough for the cement to dry. From memory, I had to apply the cement a couple of times. Then I used Tamiya Surface Primer to blend all the joints, and thinned basic putty for some of the worse gaps.

Edited by Mike C

Outstanding job! It looks Really Good on that stand!

I usually don't do in-flight, but this looks great--I should give it a go some time.

I actually prefer in-flight birds. They look sooooo darned sexy in-flight! :woot.gif:/>

Great one! Like it a lot!

Thanks! :thumbsup:/>