couple of Alclad questions

Cann you mask Alclad paints? The Majority of NMF paints you can't, and do you guys use their clear coat or something else afterward or nothing at all?

I've masked most shades of Alclad with Tamiya tape and had no problems with paint lifting. However, the shinier formulas like Polished Aluminum are more fragile, and they might lift up with the tape. I usually wet mask over these shades. For a clear coat I use plain old Future. Here are some examples:

F-80C_1.jpg

IMG_5939.jpg

f-84_3.jpg

F-104C_2.jpg

Edited by CrowTRobot

Yes you can mask over it, Alclad is one of the toughest paints out there and takes masking very well, I do recommend using Tamiya tape only (no Blue painters tape) and mask sparingly (this goes for any type painted surface) use paper towels to cover large areas and only use tape on the perimeter.

Also if wanting to mask a NMF surface you can also use Para-Film, it works great, use a rounded blade to cut it, works wonders for masking off a panel and the knife blade can be run down the engraved panel line to cut a perfect mask.

Curt

Very nice pics Crow, The F-84 was actually the kit I had in mind I have the Tamiya in my stash.

Thank you! If you're building your F-84 as a Korean bird then you won't need a lot of super-shiny shades since those planes were subjected to harsh combat conditions. You shouldn't have any trouble masking if you follow Netz's advice.

Edited by CrowTRobot