Hobbyboss F-14D "VF-31 Tomcatters", 1/72

When I was a teenager I loved the F-14 as everyone here, although it took quite a time until I watched "Top Gun" for the first time - must have been 1991 when I was on a student exchange in sweden. So I watched it with original sounds and swedish subtitles... ;)/>

Anyway, during that time I built three Tomcats, one Revell, one Fujimi (at that time and for a longer period my most expensive kit then) and an Italeri. All in 1/72 scale.

Some weeks ago it grabbed me again, and after about 15 years I´m doing a F-14 again. This time the Hobbyboss-kit, because:

- I liked the decal options

- I had quite good experiences with Hobbyboss so far, which resulted in the build of three A-7 Corsairs within short period

- I was curious how the kit would be, and reviews looked quite promising

- it was relatively cheap

As typical for a Hobbyboss-kit the cockpit and the instrument panels come without much details and all instruments have to be displayed via decal:

IMG_3784_zpsc2c0cd94.jpg

And just when I did my first steps on the kit I realized that I built a couple of F-14s not so long ago, and even did the VF-31 CAG-Bird then! Here´s the proof:

P1080551_zpse0252b7a.jpg

Well, as you can see, there is a small difference in the scale of the models... The already finished F-14 is in 1/700 scale and belongs to my USS Theodore Roosevelt:

IMG_0923_zpsfe5005d0.jpg

Now on to the cockpit section. Hobbyboss molded the front gear bay doors to the fuselage, which may make it easier for the modeller, but definitely needs some improvement: However, I chosed not to do anything on that and instead raise the seats, because otherwise the pilots wouldn´t see anything. The front seat had to be raised by 2mm, the back seat was raised by 1,5mm.

IMG_3823_zpsadd7cc0e.jpg

I was a bit irritated because of the big gaps left and right of the front IP-glare-shield, but I soon realized that these will be later covered by the clear part of the front window.

IMG_3824_zps33e9e052.jpg

One of the best kits sold in the last years is the set of sitting modern pilots by Revell: Since then I´m able to give all my aircraft a crew, and so I did here as well:

IMG_1157_zps00ac80c6.jpg

The basic kit layout with front and center gives an odd appearance as can be seen here. Did someone cut the plane in two?

IMG_3831_zps91d91d42.jpg

And the swing-wings, I had to find out later that the technique for the movable wings has some shortcomings...

IMG_3832_zpsb91e695a.jpg

These can be seen here. I was quite surprised when I realized that the wings had somehow gone asymmetric! ***...?!?!

IMG_3833_zps89b2cf7e.jpg

IMG_3835_zpsb6a66ce9.jpg

Thank god with some careful twisting and bending I was able to get them in symmetry again. Must have occured somewhen during the building process that they snapped and left their original position...

Then the first layers of paint were applied. This shows some grey spots, which turned out too bright in my opinion:

IMG_3848_zpsa5016935.jpg

I darkened the colour a little bit (must have been initially a mix of Revells 76 and White No. 5, then I added some grey 57 to get it darker again) and now it looks like this:

IMG_3849_zps7c244eec.jpg

HAJO

Decals are done on the bird - and many many many more to come for the missiles...

IMG_3867_zps1b6c7ba3.jpg

I´m quite happy with the finish now, even though its a colourful Tomcat with CO-markings (which means it usually gets a bit of extra love from the ground crew) it has some stains and faded colour and dirt on it. I think it looks good.

HAJO

Nearly done!

The crew took their seats:

IMG_3869_zps6fa643bb.jpg

The cuppola had to be sanded since it had some very prominent lines just in the middle, like many Hobbyboss-kits do. However, it ended up fine, from certain angles you get the impression that isn´t even a cuppola!

IMG_3870_zps931bd24a.jpg

And the aircraft as a whole:

IMG_3871_zpsd3dea0c2.jpg

HAJO

It´s done. I think a very good modelled kit by Hobbyboss that I´m very happy with.

IMG_3875_zps9a9b8fb5.jpg

IMG_3876_zps5ce3ef09.jpg

Before starting the build I wasn´t so sure about the quality. I read several reviews and none of them was as enthusiastic as I have been during and after the build. But it was relatively cheap and literally fell together without the need for doing much sanding or even puttying. A typical Hobbyboss, so to speak. Add the nice decal-options and a full load of weaponry there isn´t much left to complain about.

IMG_3877_zps46506a6a.jpg

However, of course there is always room for improvement:

- seats have to be glued in a little higher, otherwise the pilots won´t be able to look out of the cockpit.

- instrument panels are only displayed with decals, so any aftermarket items are welcome here

- front gear doors are molded to the fuselage, which reduces some of the detail

- clear part canopy has to be sanded on the top because there is a small line in the middle of the clear part - unfortunately also a very typical Hobbyboss-feature (had this on their A-7s and the Mi-24 as well)

- afterburner/engines could need some more detail

- decals for the missiles, especially for the AIM-54, are plenty, but you have to attach them each individually. Other manufacturers have stencils that can be attached along the missile wings, bringing several markings on the missile in one step.

IMG_3878_zpscb3aa0c9.jpg

IMG_3879_zps199ac7ff.jpg

Edited by Hajo L.

The quite colourful markings are in a nice contrast to the weathered aircraft. I like how this effect comes out, even though it may not reflect a real bird. Those would be kept quite clean, as far as I know.

IMG_3880_zps058d78c0.jpg

IMG_3881_zps69b0e504.jpg

IMG_3882_zps5a6e4852.jpg

IMG_3883_zpsba974d78.jpg

And the "big one" in comparison the "small one" in 1/700 on the catapult:

IMG_3885_zps8076e145.jpg

IMG_3888_zps7d86aa9d.jpg

I´d say a wonderful kit of a beautiful aircraft, excellently molded with only some minor disadvantages that can be easily solved/overcome be an even minor experienced modeller!

HAJO