Zvezda MiG-29C new tool updates?

Well, detail-wise the new kit doesn't look mind blowing at all. But when compared to the ICM offer, I don't think theirs is any better. It looked very bland too, if you ask me. I'm glad the surface doesn't show much riveting. I prefer good and accurate panel lines, while the rivets can easily be added with a good tool by the modeler.

Hard to say anything final yet, but somehow I was expecting more. Then again, the bar has been raised awfully high lately (1/72 Meng, 1/48 MiGs etc.).

Finally a Fulcrum you can park without having to deal with the open intakes.... but in general detail ICM looks better....

Really? The Zvezda kit looks like it has all the detail the ICM kit has, plus the proper 'wrap around' canopy. Though maybe the delays have made us a tad overhyped and made us imagine the GWH kit, just 1/72 scale. That does happen. D:

Really? The Zvezda kit looks like it has all the detail the ICM kit has, plus the proper 'wrap around' canopy. Though maybe the delays have made us a tad overhyped and made us imagine the GWH kit, just 1/72 scale. That does happen. D:

Don't know... maybe it's the photo, but ICM panel lines look a little finer

Horrible way of doing cockpit if you ask me. I understand that they are aiming for easy of assembly and whatnot but they could have atleast *tried* having some details in there. And with the assembly being odd like that it will also be hard to change it for an aftermarket cockpit.

My first impressions are that i am mildly disappointed; but i am sure it will look excellent once assembled and that accuracy will be top notch. I see that they are also doing the correct wingtips, which ICM did not.

I really don't like the seperate wingtips. I understand why, but so many companies these days just tool all new parts, so this leaving the opportunity for droopy wingtips and possibly seams in a very visible area isn't great. The nose assembly is. . . weird. But I'll reserve judgment until I have one on the bench in the new year.

Horrible way of doing cockpit if you ask me. I understand that they are aiming for easy of assembly and whatnot but they could have atleast *tried* having some details in there. And with the assembly being odd like that it will also be hard to change it for an aftermarket cockpit.

Yeah, I was taken aback by the molded-in cockpit. I wonder why they chose to go with that route, unless they got feedback that their other kits were too complex in that regard or something. Weird choice.

Still, can't wait to get my hands on a couple of these kits. I guess the kit will be out a couple weeks from now, if past experience is any indication.

Quite like the addition of air to ground weapons as well as air to air.

No I'm not disappointed by the lack of detail as I get the impression that when kit manufacturers go all out with tiny cockpit details etc it just drives up the price of the kit. If you want the extra detail, buy the basic kit and then buy the aftermarket bits you want.

I really don't like the seperate wingtips. I understand why, but so many companies these days just tool all new parts, so this leaving the opportunity for droopy wingtips and possibly seams in a very visible area isn't great. The nose assembly is. . . weird. But I'll reserve judgment until I have one on the bench in the new year.

Yeah, parts breakdown is really strange......

Zvezda has come a long way and their modern kits look wonderful with crisp, finely detailed parts and accurate surface detail. The cockpits have always been rather simple, but somehow, especially after advances on molding tecniques by some newcomers, I was just expecting more. I mean come on, when will the 1/72 dudes get something exquisitely sweet like the 1/48 guys have already gotten!?

This will blow the old ICM kit out of the water, no doubt.

Based on the photos so far I like the kit. Will have to see it in plastic before one can say more.

Based on the parts break down it is possible that there will be a follow up kit of 9-12 or whatever (two seater or SMT . . .). But I would not start saving for it just yet. The Su-27SM kit had/has in it the potential of earlier versions with a minimal change of parts and still it is nowhere in sight! Unfortunately Zvezda is not so fast. :( :(

I have no problem with the cockpit breakdown, OK it is not a usual way of doing it but there are positive sides to it. At least on the nose part you will have all panel lines clearly visible and not distorted because of injection molding the parts with a horizontal break of the nose!

The vertical fins with the flare dispensers as one part gets rig of the need to correctly angle them, makes assembly easier.

I like the engine intake breakdown. It was a success with the Su-27 kit so why not do it similar way here too. I have just one comment on the ejection seat, from the photos it looks like a reproduction of the seat used in their Su-27 kit. Yes, it is a K-36 also but in the 9-13 they used the earlier version which had a flat back plate. On later versions they added the lumbar support on the back as seen correctly on the Flanker seat. Anyway to correct that would take about two and a half minutes with a scalpel and some wet and dry. So it is not a real issue! Mind you many of the early 9-13’s had the original K-36DM seats with the big headrest (like the seats in Su-24‘s and Su-22’s), One would have to check references for that.

I like the offer of wheel chocks, intake and exhaust covers, it’s also a novel addition in comparison with other “main stream” kit. The end result is a kit which has everything in it. After all Zvezda is primarily producing for its home market, where this kit will be a success. Easy to build, correct shape, not too many parts, one will be able to build it quickly giving satisfaction and it has all those small extras, like a variation of armament included and the bonus bits of covers to make it that bit more realistic and a true scale replica of the real thing! A well detailed decal sheet with options and lots of stencils can give a true professional finish to a kit. And all this in one box without aftermarkets, extra decal sheets! Also if the price is right on domestic market then you have yourself a winner!

I am sure the plastic will be sold to Revell just as they did with the Su-27SM kit and you will have an alternative decal sheet and all the advantages of Revell distribution system.

Best regards

Gabor