Zvezda MiG-29C new tool updates?

Mine is also inbound as Zvezda just released the first batch of re-tooled kits today. If any of you had them moving before this, it means you are getting one of the early test shots sold at the debut earlier this month. Supposedly the issue was bad enough that Zvezda suspended production to make the kit buildable as it wasn't as things stood. Anyone with more info as to why-please chime in.

Regards,

Chris the cabbie

• 4 weeks later...

This is the second kit after the Su-27 where I see that Zvezda packs the clear parts and the pilots' sprue together in a separate bag.

If the intention was to protect the clear parts, then this kind of backfired - there is a giant injection/injected (?) pin in the middle of the pilots' sprue that managed (it wasn't actually very difficult :) ) to significantly scratch the inside of my MiG-29 canopy.

I am just writing this here thinking that a couple of you guys may have a direct(ish) line to Zvezda and can drop a friendly hint for them to stop putting other stuff in the bag intended for the clear parts.

Or, if there was no intention to protect the clear parts and they just wanted to pack similarly sized sprues together, then I am pleased with their work :)

Seriously though, except for the front part of the R-27s and their wrong shaped little fins, I am happy this kit came about :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

First pressing R-27s? Okay, so there IS a problem with them. I hadn't heard that before.(Although now that I read more carefully, they are meantioned a couple of posts earlier...)

I got mine yesterday at the LHS. Opened it today and really like what I see. The nicely engraved (and luckily without any riveting!) fuselage halves fit nicely and even the nose section shouldn't pose any serious problems. A good amount of dry-fitting and pre-sanding should do it.

But. The the front fins on the Alamos! Where the heck did they get that from!? Surely they can be corrected very easily but still. Another issue that bothered were the details on the landing gear hathches and the shape of the hatches. Not bad, but not quite right either. Resin burner cans could be a good thing too, had them already on my ICM 9.13 and they certainly were worth every penny.

I don't know what to do with the pit. Decals won't do it for me. I have a Part PE sheet for the Italeri kit and I might be able to use most of the instrument parts from that set to update the original toyish cockpit.

Anyway, recommended!

Edited by janman
  • 1 month later...

I'm mix colours from Gunze, but both colours are mixed.

Every day at work i'm control mix of diffrent colourd for decal print, so if i havn't colour shade for model - i'm just mix it and all.

Yesterday at the Moson modelling show managed to buy the new Zvezda kit. :yahoo:/> :yahoo:/> Had a closer look at it. It seems to be the corrected version with fine engraving on the wing control surfaces. Looks good.

On the rudders the reinforcement is correctly done as an overlapping detail. If one has a closer look on the back of the fuselage, about mid way (over the fuel tanks) there are some very, Very, VERY fine weld lines. They look fantastic! On the other hand I am not sure what will be visible of it after several layers of paint, varnish . . . Still it is there and looks authentic in 72nd scale! Love the way the cockpit and front part is designed, as a result of this the panel lines on the front fuselage sides are all there. And the joint line can be completely filled since it is not the same as the panel line. Love the idea! All respect to the designer of the kit, Aleksandr Adamchov! :worship:/> :worship:/> :worship:/>

One mistake is the front winglets on the big missiles, yes the mistake is there on the corrected set (even if on the photo illustration on the back of the box the missile is shown with correct front winglets) but either with little scratch building one can make replacements for it or get a new missile from the spares box, but then again I think Eduard has just released a weapons set for the Fulcrum in 72nd scale.

Hi Kotey, I like the decal sheet which is in the box, as far as I know it is your work. Like it! :worship:/> As to the choice of aircraft I think it will be either one which served in Hungary (they were very clean) or one from the GDR base with lots of weathering and repainting on it. Will have to make my own decals for it but will most certainly use all the tons of stencils included with the kit!

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Thank you for you good word about our job, Gabor.

At my look better include good decal in box, which closer to aftermarket, than poor decals. Zvezda's start new conceprion - produce fine models with good decals (Su-27SM, Su-34 repack, MiG-29 now, Su-33 in near future).

And BTW - i'm not only designer of this decals, Begemot also printed its. I'm will be absolutly satisfacted if in this decal also were added fourth scheme - 4-tone low-vis camouflage, as i'm propose to Zvezda's management, but thay sayd "Better is enemy of wery good", lets stay three scheme.

About marking scheme choices - Zvezda main market inside of Russia, where foreign markings not so popular. In this days we printed decals for Swifts MiG-29 for this sprues, it will be another one big and good decals.

About you choise - does in GDR and Hungary were operated 9-13?

Edited by kotey

About you coise - does in GDR and Hungary were operated 9-13?

Привет Андрей,

No, no, they were not operated by GDR or Hungarian AF but the Soviet Air Force operating from the given countries in the late 1980's were flying them.

So it was VVS with red stars. In Hungary they were flying 9-12's from late summer 1986. Back in June of that year it was still 23MLD's at one of the bases I visited and by September the Fulcrums were there. 9-13's arrived later and served only a short time and were very "clean" when they left. The ones in GDR were not so "clean". They looked fantastic!! :woot.gif: :woot.gif: :woot.gif:

Best regards

Gabor

I'm working at Begemot starting 2008, decals for Zvezda were printed earlier (from 2002-2003).

Jump of quality of print - 3-4 years ago Konstantin Krivenko (founder of Zvezda, now passed away) decided improve quality of models (and quality of decals) - so from last 2-3 year we changed almost all equipment and supplyers of printing materials. I'm clearly understand that we start later, than Cartograf, Microscale, Boa or other decal printer, but how say W. Churchill - "Russians long harness, but then quickly go".

Edited by kotey