Spray Paint: How old is too old?

Hey folks,

After an attempted restart at modelling in 2006 I'm attempting another. During the '06 restart I bought a bottle of Tamiya flat white primer as well as some Testor's Model Master light gray. The Tamiya has never been used. The Model Master was used some in 2006, and when I shook the can recently it didn't make any noise. I sprayed some paint onto some cardboard and shook it again and the can rattled as normal.

My question is: how usable is either can? Both have been stored in a closet since 2006.

I've used spray cans (and bottles for that matter) that were almost 12 years old and had no problems with them. As long as the nozzle works and I can shake the sucker up real good, it works for me.

As stated, well formulated aerosol paints can be stable a surprisingly long time if kept in a good environment. If you can hear the agitator, shake for at least a minute (longer is better) then test spray on a piece of plastic or metal. If it works, it's fine. If the nozzle clogs quickly, either the pigment or the binder, or both, has started to clump. If you clear the clog and it happens again relatively quickly, you are better off getting a new can.