1/72 Hasegawa RF-4E Luftwaffe Norm 72

So my ninth and final entry is this Hasegawa RF-4E in 1/72. I'll be using decals from this Airdoc Norm 72 set, I haven't decided with finality which scheme I'll use yet, though, but there's time for that yet until I get to painting.

100_0579_zps6d5770bf.jpg

Well, main assembly and main painting done, decalling started:

100_0582_zps5d418d8c.jpg

I finished the "main" decalling last night, and tonight got started with the stencils. Soooooo many stencils. I think this may rival JASDF Phantoms for covered-in-stencilsness!

Re: the Airdoc stencil decals: I love the concept of having multiple stencils on a single spot of carrier, as it makes it pretty easy to get everything positioned correctly. They are also quite easy to work with. My only complaint: I wish they'd print on bigger sheets, to make it a bit easier to cut the needed decal out, as everything is pretty tightly jammed together on the sheet.

So! I still think I'll get this done in time!

A brief photo-less update for the moment: all ready for final assembly, and with today off, I should be able to finish this by tonight!

Another comment re: the colours: I'm not sure the Luftwaffe Grey-Green I used is quite green enough; to my eye I think it should be a touch less grey and a touch more green. That said I do think the overall effect of the two colours together is pretty good!

A brief photo-less update for the moment: all ready for final assembly, and with today off, I should be able to finish this by tonight!

Another comment re: the colours: I'm not sure the Luftwaffe Grey-Green I used is quite green enough; to my eye I think it should be a touch less grey and a touch more green. That said I do think the overall effect of the two colours together is pretty good!

Compare the difference between the colors in this picture just taken yesterday. Yes, it's a F-4F, but this are supposed to be the same colors as 30 years ago...

38+10_FF.jpg

Hmmm. The grey looks alright to me, but maybe the grey-green I used would be better if it was a touch yellower, not greener... though I'll have to take a look at it in sunlight (whenever we next have some!)

Do you know of a paint in a rattle can that's a good match for that green?

Hmmm. The grey looks alright to me, but maybe the grey-green I used would be better if it was a touch yellower, not greener... though I'll have to take a look at it in sunlight (whenever we next have some!)

Do you know of a paint in a rattle can that's a good match for that green?

Nope, sorry. I am not using rattle can paint. I was using XtraColor enamels for my F-104G, and it is spot-on. Gonna stick with that brand for Norm-72.

Edited by Lancer512

I'm nearly done but need to sleep... should finish in the morning, so will post an update before I go to the concert I've been looking forward to for months! :)

And it's done!

100_0585_zps33fee1f3.jpg

100_0586_zpsf704b8bd.jpg

100_0587_zpse6dbf698.jpg

100_0589_zps371d0a3c.jpg

100_0591_zps51e5945c.jpg

And this one to show I tried a bit of weathering at the exhaust area using Tamiya eyeshadow:

100_0595_zpse2fa0031.jpg

I think it looks kinda better in reality, but there you go. I think the build looks pretty decent overall! And now it's finished, I can go have some early lunch and start getting ready to go see Tegan & Sara tonight... modelling /and/ a great concert in one day? What a way to end the summer! :D