A few years back someone in a FSM mag built one in 1/48 using parts from an F-5, F/A-18 and an F-117 IIRC.

Quite a few - May/June 1986 (Vol4 #3), I saved that issue when I thinned out my FSM collection many years ago.

There's an article in the Gallery of a 1/48 X-29 built based on the FSM article.

Edited by habu2

Monogram F-20 would be a good donor kit for an X-29 kitbash, but the X-29 used the original F-5A nosecone instead of the flattened F-20 nosecone (also retrofitted to F-5E's.)

The Monogram F-5E is a good donor kit to use for the nose (ahead of the intakes,) cockpit and nose gear. The main landing gear can come from an F-16 (the vertical stabilizer and horizontal stabilators of an F-16 might be the basis for scratchbuilt tail & canards.) The F-20 aft fuselage might be useful for the X-29 but will need a fair amount of surgery to look like the real X-29 aft fuselage.

I suggest to those who are interested into do a X-29 in scale 1/48 of to loose a little of time and money purchasing the old, MAY 1986, issue of Fine Scale Modeler. Inside there was a good guide on how to try to build a X-29.

finescale-1986-x29.JPG

Question for the various short run kit makers around the world... Nobody of these feel the need to reproduce the X-29 in 1/48?

The F-20 aft fuselage might be useful for the X-29 but will need a fair amount of surgery to look like the real X-29 aft fuselage.

I pulled out my F-20 kit and I'd have to disagree. The F-20 retains the near-flat lower fuselage shape of the F-5 whereas the X-29's aft fuselage is near cylindrical. I'm thinking A-4 Skyhawk but it may be too small. The referenced FSM article had fuselage & wing sections, if I have time this weekend I may scan the article and post some excerpts.

I've built it in 1/72nd and just love the design.... so much I kit bashed the Esci 2 seater with the Hase Fuselage.

I would love a 1/48th X-29 I would also love AM decals for the F-5G (F-20).... Decent F-5B .... Just mumbling now.....