Mozambique Peoples Air Force Mig-17

For this build, I'll be building the kit OOB with the exception of the decals, as much as I love the Am goodies, they just set me back too much with the time. This particular Mig-17 made it's mark in African history when it's pilot "Lt Ty Bomba" defected to South Africa with it. I found the overall Russian Light Blue color to be a pleasant change to the usual military aircraft colors, so it's been on my "To Do" list for a while.

V/r

Ron

Here's the kit.

IMG_0461_zpsf617090e.jpg

The Berna Decals sheet.

IMG_0477_zpsab6b93cc.jpg

Edited by bashace

To take my mind off my slowly drying F-4 paint (trying to get her done for the F-4 GB), I've decided to assemble some of the basic assemblies starting with the usual cockpit parts. Once the glue is dry, they'll get some additional cleaning up and a coat of Tamiya Primer.

V/r

Ron

IMG_0463_zpsc281cc09.jpg

Shot some Light Russian Gray (actually a Mig-29 color) on cockpit tub and inside fuselage sides. Not going to worry about the ejector marks inside fuselage sides, they are very difficut to see when assembled. Ejection seat is a little basic, we'll see what we can do to spice it up a little. Also assembled the wings since they were just sitting there.

IMG_0465_zps6d088c46.jpg

IMG_0466_zps6fd4fd6b.jpg

IMG_0467_zps955c5844.jpg

Assembled the engine components, no plan to display so minimal parts were used to try and reduce amount of nose weight that will be required to keep her from being a tail sitter. Had some Alclad in the airbrush that was being used on another project, so shot some on engine to not waste it. Still have some work to do on the afterburner area and the areas that will be seen through the speed brake openings.

IMG_0464_zpsa389d46a.jpg

So far, the real challenge is figuring out exactly what tone of blue it's supposed to be, the only close up pics I can find are B&W. The color photo's I've seen make them look almost white.

V/r

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

Let's hope this is enough weight to keep her from being a tailsitter. The intake splitter has weight in it also. I'm really happy that Hobby Boss has this belly pan option, sure makes it easy to hide stuff in there.

IMG_0535_zps431a950f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Bashace, PM me your e-mail address and I will send you some colour photo's of that Mig

Thanks so much for the pics Greg, it's like i've got the Holy Grail of pics for this particular aircraft. Answers a lot of questions about the specific coloring.

V/r

Ron

Thanks so much for the pics Greg, it's like i've got the Holy Grail of pics for this particular aircraft. Answers a lot of questions about the specific coloring.

V/r

Ron

You are welcome Ron

Edited by gregair
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...