1/72 Hasegawa Sukhoi Su-33 Sea Flanker.

Hi again.

Upon returning from my vacation last week, and having been freed at the end of my four Viggen project, I decided that it was time to start a new kit. This time should be something more straight and that did not involve too much scratch. I had bought this kit a few months ago and was impressed by the excellent quality and fineness of engraving around the kit. As I have not seen many of them being built in the various forums I decided to give it a try... So, here is the box:

SAM_6758_zps3a14ec81.jpg

Although I have no intention to complicate my life too much with it, I will be using many sets of aftermarket to improve it. I always like to use as musch AM sets as could be possible...

SAM_6759_zps51a39b36.jpg

Here is in more detail what I will be using:

- Aires cockpit set.

- Aires exhaust set.

- Wolfpack Design wheel bays set.

- Wolfpack Design wing fold set.

- Quickboost nose cone for the Su-27.

- Dream Model Su-27 pitot

- Partial Dream Models PE set.

- Authentic Decals Su-27/Su-33 sheet.

Close pics of all this things:

SAM_6761_zpsb014cd47.jpg

SAM_6762_zpsb0de38bc.jpg

SAM_6763_zpsba5c0003.jpg

First thing I did was to spent some time removing the resin parts from the pouring blocks and cleaning them. Here is the Aires cockpit:

SAM_6872_zpsd87d4f9c.jpg

Here the front wheel bay(main gear bays detail is made from PE).

SAM_6878_zps5e5ed27f.jpg

Both the cockpit tube and the bay were sanded enought by its lower and upper face respectively to be able to place them into the fuselage without interferences between them. In fact I slightly went trought the floor of the cockpit but as it will be covered by the seat there is no problem.

Also the exaust set was cleaned:

SAM_6877_zps96524952.jpg

As were all the parts of the nice wing folding set:

SAM_6874_zps2fd5c707.jpg

Enought for today. I will be posting more pics tomorrow if I am able.

Wait for your comments and suggestions as always.

RGDS

Juan

Edited by JFVicente
trying to recover the post...

Hi again! Thanks Nicholas, janman and Jesse for your interest. I try not to deceive your expectations and will take more step by step pics than in my previous build.

Here are some more pics for you. The first things that I did was make room on the plastic to insert the resin updates, so armed with my Dremel "wanna be" I went trought the rear of the original cockpit.

SAM_6883_zpsb3156391.jpg

The Aires cockpit fits nicely without any further trimming.

Then I removed the original front gear bay that comes moulded on the lower fuselage. I excedeed slightly when doing that, so I will have to repair it at a further stage:

SAM_6881_zpsd25c5794.jpg

Then came the most painful part that consisted on cutting the beautifull original wings from the kit. It was a nice kit until now...

SAM_6879_zps738f23dd.jpg

I have done some subassemblies. Here the tailfins glued, filled and rescribed:

SAM_6884_zps4c278ace.jpg

And the basic intakes glued and cured. I added too the lower movable ramps and scribed the doors to show them more clearly, as the original detail in this parts is too weak:

SAM_6885_zps052701ad.jpg

In fact all the scribed details all over the kit is so subttle that I'm slightly concerned about the possibility to cover it during the painting process...

Well, that,s all for today. I am still claening and preparing the little parts as ordenance and landing gera parts, so I wll keep you posted on further progress.

Wait for your opinions, friends.

RGDS.

Juan

Edited by JFVicente

Hi again! Many thanks everybody for your interest.

On 8/28/2013 at 9:29 PM, Tripio said:

Hello Juan,

another insane build. :thumbsup:/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>

Nice progress so far.

Waiting the updates with much interest.

Regards,Laz

Laz, really my first intention was not to get involved in too many scratch, but I can not resist and slowly I'm doing it and maybe this will become in another "insane build", as you say...

Well, here you will find some more advances on the project. Here is the front landing leg, on wich scissor links drilled that little hole.

SAM_6890_zps305a6ffc.jpg

On the lower end of the leg you can see that distinctive little mud guard molded in plastic. I tought that I could improve the appearence of this detail, so I removed it and replaced the plastic for four little plates of photoetched made from the little hatches that are included on the DreamModel fret and that I will not be using:

SAM_6893_zps70cb0927.jpg

Here is the result after glueing the said four plates with thin lengts of fine wire between each one.

SAM_6896_zps63f72681.jpg

Looks far better to me...Next was to improve the main landing gear legs, so I thinned the scissor links of them. Here , at left is the thinned one, against the original

part:

SAM_6888_zps62599310.jpg

Drilled those little holes, too and with thiny pieces of Evergreen added some detail to try to simulate the detail of the real part:

SAM_6897_zpsd561ecec.jpg

I will be adding some wire and so to the three legs to simulate all the plumbery later...

Next step was to attach the photoetced parts provided on the Wolfpack-d wheel bays set to improve the main bays.

SAM_6892_zps5319e1ca.jpg

Thought this is a good improvement I will be adding some plumbery to this bays too, as the effect as provided is quite plain...

SAM_6895_zps486c4d0c.jpg

This is the front gear door, on wich I installed that cilindrical tank on wich I attached the upper cap made from the discarded brace that comes with this door. I also detailded the door by its inner part with some wiring.

SAM_6903_zps5e12278f.jpg

Some improvements on the fins. I drilled the intake on the base of them and added that separation that can be seen on the pic, but only on the left fin, as per the photos I have seen throught the web.

SAM_6900_zpsb40057f1.jpg

And finally, here is the resin nose cone with the truned metal pitot installed ready to be used when the time comes.

SAM_6901_zps02811b49.jpg

Little steps, I know, and nothing very awesome to show, but I will be doing that kind of things at this early stage and them I will start with the paint of the interior parts, like cockpit, wheel bays and so..

Hope you like this. And wait for your comments, criticisms and suggestions.

RGDS

Juan

Edited by JFVicente

Hello Juan,

just do it in your own pace.

As far as the Dream model set is concerned does that worth to purchase?

For me there are some strange details like the canopy frame with the mirrors (nr 6), I have doubts how can it be used...

The other things are the pitots (nr. 7 and 12), for me the original parts are much more realistic.

I suppose that you will not use everything or you will just upgrade them. :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work.

Regards,Laz

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi again! Long time since my last update. Many thanks Laz, Rodney and Ricardo for your interest. Sorry for this, but I moved home at the beginig of september, with all that this implies, so I have not been able to devote to modeling everything as I would like...

Fortunatelly I have resumed this project and hope to be able to show some progress this same week. Stay tunned!

Hello Juan,

just do it in your own pace.

As far as the Dream model set is concerned does that worth to purchase?

For me there are some strange details like the canopy frame with the mirrors (nr 6), I have doubts how can it be used...

The other things are the pitots (nr. 7 and 12), for me the original parts are much more realistic.

I suppose that you will not use everything or you will just upgrade them. :thumbsup:/>/>/>/>

Keep up the good work.

Regards,Laz

Laz, well, in fact this reference didn,t worth to purchase. IMHO the cockpit of the kit is sufficiently well represented itself if you are going out of the box, being only improved by the Aires set, but not by the PE of Dream Model... As to all the other parts I will not be using them. As you say, the original parts are much more realistic with little home made improvements, so this set is a waste of time and money if you are using the Aires pit..(again IMHO)

See you soon...

RGDS

Juan

Edited by JFVicente

Hi again! As promissed here I am with some pictures.

Here is the K36 ejection set from the Aires cockpit, still unpainted. It is a real gem, consisting on few resin parts and lot of photo etched to represent the harnesses. Counting of all of the parts sums around 20 in all... ataching all of the PE is somewhat complex but the result worths the effort.

SAM_6925_zpsd3f7df29.jpg

Here, the Aires cockpit with the basic bluish colour applied.

SAM_6928_zps8c560347.jpg

And here the complete cockpit set with all the parts painted on its basic colours:

SAM_6927_zps37f234ba.jpg

Then I focused my attention on the air intakes. I painted the trunks and the upper ramps on flat white and the engine faces on matt aluminium:

SAM_6930_zps9ab0be61.jpg

Here is the intake with the engine face attached on place. I also added that PE grille from an old discarded Hasegawa Su-27 to enhance the appeareance...

SAM_6933_zpsb15c819a.jpg

...and scratched a couple of probes from tube and styrene rod.

SAM_6934_zps79f4f7e3.jpg

This is all by now. I am finishing the detailing of the wheel bays and legs at this moment, but still have to take the pictures.

Hope you like the update. As always, suggentions and criticism are welcome.

RGDS.

Juan

Edited by JFVicente

Many thanks, Janne! Are you building something these days?

Juan

Indeed I do :)

I recently finished a P-47, it's in the show case forum if you want to sneak a peek :P

at the moment I'm slowly making progress on a B-25, my first wip in a while.

Hi again! Time for a new update.

With the intake trunks finished I wasable to attach them on the lower fuselage and took care of the little seam with abit of filler and sanding...Also I glued in place those fairings that are part of the main landing gear.

SAM_6954_zpsd34c5efc.jpg

As you can see on this previous pic I ahve been adding some detail to the inner of the wheel bays. If i said that the Dream model Pe set is a waste of time this same could be said about the Wolfpack-d resin/PE landing gear set pitifully. It only provides some basic detail for the side wallsofthe main bays, but the detail on the ceiling is totally wrong, when compered against few pics of the real bays that I have been able to find on the web. So the upper part of the PE set was removed on replaced by a plain piece of thin plasticard cutted to shape. Then I added as much detail as I was able to make those wells look busy like on the real thing. I have used several section of electric wire and styrene rod. Here you have few photos of the bays finished. Of course a lot more could be done, but I thought this would be more than enough for this scale.

SAM_6955_zps2b05a086.jpg

SAM_6956_zps51d4a286.jpg

SAM_6958_zps905bee21.jpg

SAM_6959_zpsd65c8f0f.jpg

SAM_6964_zps9ccde7fa.jpg

SAM_6979_zpse996899f.jpg

SAM_6980_zpse8d77c60.jpg

SAM_6978_zps72ca444c.jpg

More to follow...

Edited by JFVicente

And the same could be said about the resin part wich represents the front bay. it is only a vague depiction of the real thing. So I removed a part of the casted detail and replaced it by a plain piece of plasticard, acording to my references. Then I added some wiring and few elements to the walls of the resin...

SAM_6960_zpsbad428e5.jpg

Also, I added some wiring to the landing gear legs:

SAM_6949_zps6b4acb41.jpg

SAM_6948_zps2e7cb7c6.jpg

Here we have the inner wheel hub of the kit to wich I attached a thin disc from scratch to improve the appearance:

SAM_6946_zps22f34538.jpg

Then I painted those hubs and attached them to the corresponding legs, and added some more detail from pieces of styrene.

SAM_6970_zps20338ad9.jpg

SAM_6965_zpsf848ba89.jpg

SAM_6966_zps597c7b65.jpg

SAM_6969_zpse531de8b.jpg

That,s all for now. As always would like to hear your oppinions.

Rgds.

Juan

Edited by JFVicente
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi again! Sorry for all this time without updates. Many thanks Janne and TaiidanTomcat for your kind words about the undercarriage legs.

I have been busy with the job and other projects and have not been able to pay good attention to the forums… Anyway, on all this months I have been able to go ahead with the project and would like to show the current state of it.

So, here we go. Here is how the undercarriage legs turned, once painted and washed:

SAM_7223_zps3d92d50c.jpg

SAM_7221_zpsb9501471.jpg

Next step was to attach the resin wing roots from Wolpack-D to the fuselage:

SAM_6981_zps47feac9b.jpg

SAM_6982_zps01470868.jpg

As can be seen, despite my efforts the join needed some attention with Mr Surfacer, sanding and rescribing.

Painted the detailed resin front landing gear bay,

SAM_6992_zps51e54a7a.jpg

And installed it in place:

SAM_6994_zps5a769e19.jpg

Next came the painting of the main landing gear bays, wich presented lot of details:

SAM_7038_zps39e224f5.jpg

SAM_7041_zpse73ddaca.jpg

SAM_7042_zps5576a88e.jpg

More to follow...

Edited by JFVicente

Next came the excelent cockpit from Aires:

SAM_6983_zps178cc2f3.jpg

SAM_6985_zpsa9f4fa73.jpg

SAM_6987_zps24630b70.jpg

SAM_6989_zps5ea7af76.jpg

SAM_6990_zpsa047e4d7.jpg

SAM_6991_zps84b9278e.jpg

Fitting it into the fuselage went without major issue, just a matter of light trimming and cutting:

SAM_6996_zps5c5b1480.jpg

SAM_7024_zps5e83b7d7.jpg

SAM_7026_zps4a952c41.jpg

And finally i was able to close the two halves of the fuselage. I added the resin nose cone and some detail from sheet styrene as can be seen on the following pic:

SAM_7025_zps45ad5b9b.jpg

That,s all by today. I will be updating the project tomorrow if I am able. Meanwhile, would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Juan

Edited by JFVicente