1/72 Hasegawa Sukhoi Su-33 Sea Flanker.

Hi again! Many thanks for your elogies, Janne.

Here I am with new photos of the progress. next step was to attach the windshield, so here is it together with the canopy, both of them masked ready for painting:

SAM_7035_zpsfaaa98b5.jpg

On the lower fuselage, just in front of the air intakes there are few little pipe vents protruding fron the airframe. I found those little details watching at the Ip build of Marcel111 here in this forum, (Ukranian Blue 56) so I decide that I needed to incorporate them on my build. So I drilled small holes and inserted few pieces of small syringe needels:

SAM_7036_zps2d7fb83b.jpg

There are also a couple of them just behind the starboard main wheel bay:

SAM_7045_zps92d8580c.jpg

Finally I was able to give a coat of ms Surfacer to the entire airframe in preparation for painting:

SAM_7046_zpsa735f2be.jpg

And here is it, all painted:

SAM_7207_zps1391b539.jpg

SAM_7211_zps0c14e27e.jpg

SAM_7213_zpsdd5cb829.jpg

SAM_7209_zps252a6444.jpg

I will be building the red 80 from the 2nd AS of the 279Th Carrier Aviation Fighter Regiment, that with the tiger head on the tail:

Red 80

Looking at the pictures of several Su-33s that I found over the web I discovered that the camo patern varies slighlty from aircraft to aircraft so the painting was done paying great attention to the pics of this particural aircraft...

Also I want to display the aircraft with some kind of "ambience" and aboard the Admiral Kuznetsov carrier, so i will be building something like this:

su_33_1024_004_1_zpsa65ab3cc.jpg

So I bought the Olimp Resin Accesories carrier dexk tractor and I am at present building from scratch the elevator area

SAM_7192_zps8fd3d429.jpg

That,s all for now! I will be posting more pictures of the progress the next week.

Wait for your opinions and suggestions.

Have a nice weekend!

Juan

Edited by JFVicente

It's coming along nicely Juan - it looks like you have a great diorama planned.

One thing I did with my model to improve the look was to thin down the 'webs' on either side of the tailboom.

As moulded by Hasegawa, they are way too thick.....

Flankers%20096.JPG

They are just thin plates on the real thing.....

tailboom_04.jpg

tailboom_06.jpg

Ken

Many thanks Ken and Laz for your comments

It's coming along nicely Juan - it looks like you have a great diorama planned.

One thing I did with my model to improve the look was to thin down the 'webs' on either side of the tailboom.

As moulded by Hasegawa, they are way too thick.....

Flankers%20096.JPG

They are just thin plates on the real thing.....

tailboom_04.jpg

tailboom_06.jpg

Ken

Ken, many thanks for your suggestion, I was not aware of that detail until it was too late and the kit was painted. Altought I am sometimes a bit anal about this kind of details/corrections I think that I will have to live with this on this occasion as I don,t have the guts to sand that area now that the kit is almost ready to by glossed... Thanks again anyway...

RGDS

Juan

• 1 month later...

Hi again! Many thanks Janne and Kristian for your kind words. Sorry for this late response, but with the summer, the holidays and so... you know...

what colors did you use?

/Kristian

Kristian, for the painting I went with the colours/mixes recommended by Hasegawa on their instructions as a basis, but I modified them adding some other shadows or blue and white and grays, trying to achieve the hues observed on many photos found around the web. HTH

I will try to update this thread this evening or tomorrow at least.

RGDS

Juan

Edited by JFVicente

Hi again! Many thanks Mario for your words. I,m here with a new update, not exactly on the aircraft itself, but with the work on the sorruonding things that will go on the diorama, meanwhile the paint was drying on the kit.

The towing bar on the Olimp model set was so buried on resin and aside of that it was slightly bent.

SAM_7203_zpsd9365b21.jpg

So I decided to rebuilt it from scratch. I started with a cooper rod inserted on the plastic tube wich contains the ink of a conventional pen, cutted to the appropiate lenght:

SAM_7204_zpse12ea4a7.jpg

The rest of the details were built from Evergreen styrene, electric cable with its own coating, or other diameters of cooper rod, like on the wheel legs and some of them grabbed from the original fresin part:

SAM_7227_zps033703f9.jpg

SAM_7228_zps3ddde284.jpg

SAM_7234_zps9fadfd78.jpg

SAM_7233_zpsdc3b7836.jpg

And here is the bar painted and with some scratched. I slightly scratched the paint to show some wearing, and still have to aply some washes:

SAM_7250_zps84f66982.jpg

SAM_7251_zpsff173d84.jpg

And here some other accesories for the diorama. The ladder and FOD covers are from the Zvezda Su-27SM (exquisitely moulded for this scale, by the way) and the wheel PE chocks are from the Olimp resin set:

SAM_7252_zpsd23610c4.jpg

SAM_7253_zps93706eb0.jpg

More to follow in some minutes...

Some more progress, now on the base itself. As show previously I want to represent an elevator of the Kuznetshov. I bought on a DIY store a sheet of transparent plastic called "arraglas". This is a transparent sheet aimed to framing pictures. It,s far cheapper that the modeling styrene and it works fine with our regular adhesives and paints.

SAM_7235_zps286b6cbc.jpg

I cutted it to shape and began working with it. Frirstly, I sanded it with rough sandpaper to give the texture of a carrier deck. Then drilled those holes intended to represent the tie down points. Then I covered such holes by the bottom with styrene and attached pieces of styrene rod to depict the tie points themselves:

SAM_7247_zpseec2cf3b.jpg

I applied a blob of Mr surfacer on top of every of them to give some rough texture, and added those longitudinal strips of evergreen to add more detail.

I have not been able to find detailed pictures of those details, so this has been the most that I have been able to do from the photos find on the web.

Then I built from styrene sheet the structures that you see on the nearest end of this picture:

SAM_7244_zps7ec96ffa.jpg

SAM_7245_zps7774d47e.jpg

And built, also from styrene rod that hanging fences, that I guess they are intended to prevent falls overboard:

SAM_7248_zps62ae69b8.jpg

And here is the tractor. I replaced some resin from the mudguards over the wheel and replaced them with styrene sheet:

SAM_7224_zps4d114511.jpg

SAM_7226_zps54eac8ff.jpg

SAM_7232_zps41a142dc.jpg

Here is how this composition will look when finished:

SAM_7255_zps2261f3c2.jpg

And this is all by the moment. I have the base and the tractor painted and have just finished to apply the decals to the kit, but still have not took the photos.

Hope you like the progress and would like to hear yor opinions.

Rgds.

Juan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again! Many thanks for your interest and comments. I have a new update here.

Next step was decaling the bird. For this I used some decals from the Hasegawa kit, like red stars, numeral and the tiger of the tailfin. For the stencils I went with thevery comprehensive sheet of Begemot decals for the Su-27/-33 family. There were a myriad of little stencils...I was a bit concerned about aplying a glos coat in preparation for the decals. As I said, previously the panal lines on the kit are so subtle that I could easily cover them with the gloss, making dificult the susequent washes. So I tryied applied the decals without the gloss coat, dipping them in future thinned with water directly over the paintjob. This was a first for me and must say that the pocess went without anny issue and the result was very convenient, at least for me. The only thing is that I ended with the kit full of bright spots over it, but this will disappear with subsequent treatments. Here is the bird, all decaled:

SAM_7293_zps85ff13f0.jpg

And some close ups.

SAM_7297_zps18296607.jpg

SAM_7299_zpsab36e408.jpg

I was not very happy with the color of the tiger head on the decal. It is too orange compared with the real one:

SAM_7296_zps967e43b3.jpg

With all that yellow stencils I felt that the general aspect of the kit was too "colorful", so I tried to made the stencils more subtle. I sprayed a coat of every single color very diluted, freehand and over the decals. This was the result:

SAM_7328_zps4bcc882a.jpg

SAM_7323_zps5a6fbad0.jpg

SAM_7324_zps56e5878e.jpg

This also helped to hide the bright spots that I said previously.

The next step in the process should have been the washes, I hate this method. I haver never been able of achieving a good result with oils, runing sometimes the paint when trying to remove them. I have been using for some time tempera paints with water for this task , but I find this quite "dirty". So I tryed a new method: I found this

felt pens some time ago and decided that this was the appropiate chance to give them a try:

SAM_7329_zps80a1a171.jpg

So I drew every panel line with the dark blue:

SAM_7331_zps56805130.jpg

More to follow.

Seriously impressive work on the towing bar and tractor. This is a really great project!

The wash medium you chose looks interesting; the only problem with washable (or watercolor) pigments is that they are just that -any subsequent clear finish can make them run, and sometimes even the moisture on your skin is enough to make them come off on your fingers! Hopefully this one will work out well.

Seriously impressive work on the towing bar and tractor. This is a really great project!

The wash medium you chose looks interesting; the only problem with washable (or watercolor) pigments is that they are just that -any subsequent clear finish can make them run, and sometimes even the moisture on your skin is enough to make them come off on your fingers! Hopefully this one will work out well.

Thanks Chippywho for your comment and your warning about the wasable colors. I was worry about extent but have to say that I have the matt coat applied by now ( not pics still) and all went without any problem. I used Marabu thinned with tumpentine and the washes were not affected.

Want to show how the washes ended.

The excess was removed with a cotton swab slightly damped with water. The result was a subtle paneling, wich I am very satisfied:

SAM_7332_zps30a04db5.jpg

SAM_7335_zpsd4ba4f1e.jpg

Thanks Chippywho for your comment and your warning about the wasable colors. I was worry about extent but have to say that I have the matt coat applied by now ( not pics still) and all went without any problem. I used Marabu thinned with tumpentine and the washes were not affected.

Want to show how the washes ended.

The excess was removed with a cotton swab slightly damped with water. The result was a subtle paneling, wich I am very satisfied:

Certainly can't argue with the result! Very nice and refined. :thumbsup: