:D/>/>, Thank you for these damo. The Rowal Newcastle Aero Club has 2 LSAs, a Cessna Flycatcher and a Gazelle. The Gazelle is hard to get into and out of andd the Cessna is okay but I'm too heavy yet for either of them. Of late there have been a couple of solutions to at least one of the Jabiru problems. One of the problems being the overheating of the cylinder heads, particularly the rear heads. Jabiru have their own solution and Rotec also have a solution. The Jabiru one is the simpler of the two. They've modified the cooling baffles and the Rotec one is a set of liquid cooled heads using a motorcycle radiator and an elecric pump and fan which run when required. The whole kit and kaboodle weighs 13 pounds and solves the problems for good.

Another possible problem is that the overhaul life of the engines is about 500 hours. I've heard that some owners exceed that by about double and then wonder why the engine fails. The cost of overhauling a Jabiru eninge is less than half of say a Continental or Lycoming O-200 here in Australia at least. A new Jabiru 3300 engine is also about half the cost of a new Continental or Lycoming so I think that part of the problem is like people who can afford to buy a new car but then can't afford to get it serviced properly. Remember that Jabiru owners can do quite a bit of their own maintenance. I know of one owner who likes to "fiddle" with his engine to "get that little bit more" out of it. Invariably he messes it up and has to get a qualified engineer to go to his property to fix his goof ups. I wonder how many other problems are owner caused. I'm not so sure that all the problems are the fault of the aircraft or engine.

:cheers:/>/>,

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford