ARC Light B-52D Diorama

Hello, All,

I'm new to the ARC forums and would like to say hello to everyone :wave:/> . These forums are awesome BTW! So much to see and so much activity it's difficult to keep up.

I just got back into the hobby last year after 30+ years away and I'm really enjoying it. I finally fulfilled my dream to complete a diorama of a B-52D being readied for an ARC Light mission. Here's a link to the build at FSM: http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/19/t/149616.aspx , and here are a few pictures from the build.

mfh1ZR.jpg

eYNI0w.jpg

xEEO3q.jpg

yygTCE.jpg

fm5KL7.jpg

vEaQfu.jpg

V7yfB1.jpg

Nothing much compared to the amazing stuff I've seen here, but it's a start.

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

Hey Russ,

I saw some of your progress over on FSM. Congrats on finishing your project. I think it looks great! Welcome back to the hobby, and welcome to ARC! Looking forward to seeing more of your projects. Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

-O

This looks GREAT! Where's all the windows?

Thanks, Steve! No windows - they hide too many details :)/> I scratched the cockpit windows and the gunner's windows after the gunner's windows in the kit fell apart. But they were too thick anyway. I just got some window glazing and I'm going to see how that looks; for now, just pretend there's glass ;)

Cheers,

Russ

Thanks, Steve! No windows - they hide too many details :)/>/> I scratched the cockpit windows and the gunner's windows after the gunner's windows in the kit fell apart. But they were too thick anyway. I just got some window glazing and I'm going to see how that looks; for now, just pretend there's glass ;)/>

Cheers,

Russ

OK...at first I was thinking, "Man! Those are the clearest windows I've ever seen!"

You definately got the B-52 oil can skin effect down...how did you do that?

OK...at first I was thinking, "Man! Those are the clearest windows I've ever seen!"

You definately got the B-52 oil can skin effect down...how did you do that?

I used a small metal triangular file to gouge out strips of the plastic (the tip of mine happened to be broken off which seemed to work perfectly), then followed with a small half round file and fine sandpaper to round out the depressions. It's hard on your hands and fingers though :)/>

BTW, The actual aircraft wrinkles slanted slightly toward the back along the front section and were almost vertical along the midsection, then slanted a bit toward the front near the tail turret.

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241
On 8/30/2013 at 10:08 AM, Gator52 said:

Great work, I especially like the trailers & workstands--are those scratchbuilt/kitbashed?

Jonah

Thanks, Jonah. All of the stands are scratch built with the exception of the T&R stand under the nav antenna which is from the Hasegawa US Ground Crew set and was slightly modified. The bomb clip trailer and bomb clip loader are scratch built. The trailer holding the chin radome is kitbashed from a trailer in the Hasegawa US weapons loading kit.

If you're interested in building the bomb clip or bomb clip trailer, I have some instructions that I can send you.

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

Yes I'd be very interested in any instructions/drawings you have for any of your ground equipment. I'd like to build a very similar scene of 1980s Carswell with an H model. I know not all the gear will be applicable for that era necessarily, but I'd like to see what you've got anyway.

Thanks

Jonah

• 11 months later...

Hi, All,

Thanks to the excellent 3D printing work of Mike O'Hare (MoFo), I've been able to obtain the correct wheels for my Big Belly bomb clip transporters. Below are pictures of a transporter with a loaded bomb clip and one with my just completed empty bomb clip. I need to build two more transporters and empty clips to fully complete my Arc Light diorama.

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Imzu3o.jpg

gAF5Oo.jpg

Edited by striker8241