ARC Light B-52D Diorama

One day I saw a very impressive sight while walking from the armory to the mail room on the road close to the flight line.  Three "D' models flew low level down the length of the runway in a "V" formation,  They were followed by a DC-130 return home and until dark every aircraft coming back did this before they landed.  I sat on the ledge outside my barracks window for a while and watched.  I think it was for the 25th anniversary of the Air Force.

On 5/20/2020 at 5:41 PM, Gator52 said:

Russ, which blue paint did you use for the vehicles?

Thanks

Jonah

Hi, Jonah! Sorry I've taken so long to reply to your question.

Dutch is correct about the FS number (thanks, Dutch). Unfortunately, I could never find a rattle can equivalent to that color, so I sort of winged it. I bought a can of Krylon Fusion  enamel Satin Black and a can of Fusion (satin or gloss) Patriotic Blue.

I first sprayed the parts with the Satin Black and allowed them to dry thoroughly. Then I over sprayed the parts with the Patriotic Blue. You need to apply the blue repeatedly in thin layers until the color looks about right.

The actual FS color, when it's new, has a slightly purple shade to it, but this fades under sunlight to a more bluish color, so my final color is not too far off for a vehicle that has been out in the sun for a few years.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Russ

Thanks for the info Russ; coincidentally Dutch found this supplier for strata blue:

https://www.lvppaints.com/FEDSTD595-15045-Strata-Blue-Air-Force-Blue-ANA-516-Paint-12-Oz-Aerosol-Can.html

I ordered a can and tried a quick spray on some spare styrene, looks good so far.  I plan to use it on the Hasegawa step van like in your diorama, but don't have one ready for paint.

Cool! Thanks Jonah!... and Dutch! I'm going to order me a can. Jonah, please post some pictures here when you paint your van or provide a link. I'd like to see how it turns out.

BTW, you may want to glue in some scrap pieces painted black to represent the engine block or you will end up with some unsightly gaps around the front wheels. I need to go back and do it on mine.

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241