ARC Light B-52D Diorama

Where are you in Florida? Didn't you enter that in the last model contest we had in Orlando? I remember a B.U.F.F. in a reventment being there.

I also remember the constant noise as missions took off every hour with at least three 52s and some tankers. At first it was hard to get any sleep, but that soon wasn't a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Where are you in Florida? Didn't you enter that in the last model contest we had in Orlando? I remember a B.U.F.F. in a reventment being there.

I also remember the constant noise as missions took off every hour with at least three 52s and some tankers. At first it was hard to get any sleep, but that soon wasn't a problem.

Hi, ikar,

Yes, I had it in the 2013 Modelpalooza at Orlando. Thanks for remembering it.

Are you from Orlando?

On 11/27/2014 at 12:55 PM, Loach Driver said:

Well done on a great diorama. Can you post up a few photos of the blue tractor-and-trailer unit in the background of the first photo? Photos of any of the other vehicles and stands would be appreciated too.

LD.

Hi, LD,

Thanks for the good words! I've posted some pictures for you below showing the tractor and trailer units before weathering, followed by the weathered model.

XEnI9a.jpg

XGgrqg.jpg

5WUC9l.jpg

Here are some other vehicles in the diorama:

at0c3N.jpg

SWR9yy.jpg

And my two "jammers" (MJ-1s):

ZcV70k.jpg

And here are the stands. First, two of the the B-4 stands, then the B-5 stand.

ehmiRg.jpg

oJo626.jpg

VrX9IK.jpg

Finally, the tilt-and-roll stand:

nVks23.jpg

MFvB5d.jpg

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

Hi Russ. Thanks for posting up those photos of the ground vehicles. In a diorama like yours the ground equipment really adds realism to the whole scene. I really like the tractor-and-trailer unit. Great work.

LD.

You're most welcome, LD. And thank you for taking the time to look and comment.

Cheers,

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Folks,

To round out my series of 1/72 Air Force maintenance stands, I've just completed a model of the B-2 stand. I plan to use it in a future diorama of a B-52D being readied with nuclear weapons for a Chrome Dome flight.

Cheers and thanks for looking!

4Jlr5a.jpg

gEKVjr.jpg

The picture below shows how the stand will be used in the future diorama (the aircraft will be in pre-Vietnam colors).

KfmRVG.jpg

Edited by striker8241
  • 2 months later...

Hello, All,

I finally made myself sit down and finish the last two transporters with empty bomb clips. Below is a picture of the three of them with the one loaded transporter. Everything is complete now except for redoing the tarmac, and then I'll be ready for the glass cover - that is, assuming I can find a place to set it up ...

Hn2Y3c.jpg

This is how I plan to show the empty clips on the diorama:

8QmkCs.jpg

Cheers, and thanks for looking!

Edited by striker8241

Very nice.

I'm most impressed by your work stands. Many of us have worked around aircraft and have been up and down each of those works stands (and Little Giant ladders!) countless times. I've banged around the idea of trying to scratch build some myself but just can't seem to get it going.

Do you have plans and dimensions for each of these?

• 2 weeks later...

This is BEAUTIFUL!!! I had this idea and planned it out so many times in my mind, and to see someone actually pull it off, and pull it off well is just amazing! Please post more pics, would love to see the bomb bay and radar areas too. Love how you laid it out and the execution. Very well done, very well indeed! --Ric

Hi, Ric,

Many thanks for the compliments! I tried to post some pictures but Photobucket seems to be on the blink. If you would like to see the entire build with pictures, you can find it at http://cs.finescale....ort=ASC&pi240=1. The completed (well, almost completed...) diorama starts on page 51. Meanwhile, I'll keep trying to get the pictures you asked for in here...

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, All,

Not much going on here these days so I thought I would post the latest update to my Arc Light diorama. I completely redid the display engine nacelle and added two detailed engines and a detailed firewall. I also changed the nacelle to the left outboard position instead of the left inboard.

Below is a picture of the original display engine.

FjghTR.jpg

Below are the two engines I made and the nacelle firewall.

l6CEuJ.jpg

UZ547M.jpg

uoQp3X.jpg

uuczzs.jpg

HJuAsf.jpg

And here is the finished nacelle. I still need to apply a dark wash before installing it.

OK5Hpm.jpg

6oFwjb.jpg

EzNn6B.jpg

Here's my rebuilt engine trailer. I used a simpler design for the axle frames.

8LHkmA.jpg

rLSpi6.jpg

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Russ

Edited by striker8241
  • 3 weeks later...