NASA Group Build Proposal

2 Degrees of Seperation, NASA  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Interested?

• Heck Yeah Gordo! (Yes)
    • I'm going to need more telemetry before I make the call (Maybe)
    • Houston, We have a problem (No)
    • What Planet are you From? (No NO!)

Ok, I've only entered 2 group builds since I've been a member here, and completed...let me see....carry the one..add Pi...oh yeah, NONE.

So I figured the next logical step was to suggest a group build that I can maybe start a project for and not finish that as well :bandhead2:/>/> . Seems logical right?

ANYWAY, my suggestion. 2 degrees of separation, NASA. What does this mean? Build any model that is either directly related to NASA (Shuttle, Apollo, NASA Helicopter etc...) OR something that could be related to NASA somewhat indirectly. For instance, an astronaut's Corvette, the F-14 that carried the STS-107 memorial nose markings, Alan Shepard's A-4...you get the idea. If it's something that's questionable, like a Corvette, then you have to provide some sort of proof (pics would be great!) of how it relates to NASA. Remember 2 degrees, not 6! It can't be a mission controller's nephew's son's Piper Cub. It could be Deke Slayton's Piper Cub IF you can prove he had one that looks like what you modeled.

You may say, "that's too broad a field". And to that I say, why yes it is. So? The last space related group build I recall is the real space from several years ago and it was a great group build. However this one will be inclusive of ALL genres of modelers as long as it ties in to NASA some reasonably way. (the aircraft carrier that picked up Grissom...see what I mean?) The plus side in my mind is that some people will do research about NASA and astronauts etc...hoping to find a subject model that they'd like to build and possibly come out with a new appreciation for things they've researched.

Ok, the catch. I've never run a group build so I'm not automatically volunteering to run it. I am willing to learn how to do one, but I'll need help I'm sure. (beyond the help I know you know I need)

So this is my grand idea (sorry if you'd expected more). Take the poll and let me know what you think. If you have other ideas on how to fine tune it, let me know. But the biggest point to me is, there hasn't been a SPACE related group build in far too long. Let's at least fix that.

So what say ye"

Bill

Edited by niart17

Ok, it's a start. A slow start but a start none-the-less. Even you armor guys can get in on it with an M-113 astronaut escape vehicle/fire rescue. Another car idea would be a NASA security vehicle. Seems like I've seen some pics of them in Chargers and Lindberg has a great Charger police car kit. Use your imagination and come up with something that will make people go, "WOW, didn't know NASA had one of those".

Anyone else? Bueller?

Bill

Question, two actually.

1: Does it have to be space related, or does anything NASA count? (Like a NASA S-3 Viking)

2: Only Nasa, or NACA too?

Edited by Pete

Some ideas for NASA related subjects

SH-3 Sea King (used to recover late Mercury through Apollo capsules)

HSS-1 / SH-34 (used to recover early Mercury capsules)

HUP-2 (used to recover Mercury 6 capsule, and during Mercury recovery training)

A helpful site as a starting point for the above helicopters

http://artwork.navy.pagesperso-orange.fr/SQUADRONS/Space_recovery.html

Many of the 7 Mercury astronauts served during WW2 and / or the Korean war. Most also were test pilots for the 1950s jet fighters.

Alan Shepard - Served on a destroyer during WW2 and became a naval test pilot post war.

Deke Slayton - Flew B-25 and A-26 bombers during WW2. He became a test pilot post war flying many of the Century series jets.

Gordon Cooper - Flew for the USAF in Europe in the F-84 and F-86. He later became a test pilot for the F-102 and F-106.

Gus Grissom - Joined the US Army during WW2 (completed pilot training as the war ended), later becoming a pilot for the USAF. He served in the Korean war flying the F-86 and later became a test pilot.

John Glenn - Served in the USMC during WW2 flying R4D and the F4U Corsair. During the Korean war he flew F9F Panther, and later in an exchange with the USAF the F-86 (Academy offers a 1/72 kit with his Mig Mad Marine F-86F). As a test pilot he was involved with the F8 Crusader.

Scott Carpenter - Joined the USN during WW2 but did not complete training before the wars end. He flew the P2V Neptune post war through Korea. He was serving onboard the USS Hornet CV-12 when accepted for the Mercury program.

Wally Schirra - The son of a barnstormer (father) and wing walker (mother) he completed flight training for the US Navy shortly after WW2. In an exchange with the USAF he flew F-84 fighter bombers during the Korean war. As a test pilot he was involved with the F7U Cutlass, and F4 Phantom.

Apollo 11 Astronauts Neil Armstrong (USN) and Buzz Aldrin (USAF) both served as fighter pilots during the Korean War.

Many Shuttle astronauts served in Vietnam and Desert Storm, so lots of potential there from F4 Phantom to KC-135.

For those who like ships, many aircraft carriers have been involved with the recovery of the Mercury through Apollo capsules.

Assume NACA (National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics), NASA's predecessor would be within the 2 degrees? That opens up a bunch more stuff, Bell X-1 and lots of test bed aircraft.

Phantom, if you do your homework there are several ways you could build another F4. :whistle:/>

Edited by Aaronw

Question, two actually.

1: Does it have to be space related, or does anything NASA count? (Like a NASA S-3 Viking)

2: Only Nasa, or NACA too?

As to the first question, my thought is that it does not have to be particularly space related, such as the security cars or the S-3, the M-113 etc.... Of course, if there are too many objections to making that broad of a build, I'll defer to the voice of the people. Afterall, my first goal is to garner interest in NASA and space related subjects. I will say though that if it's going to be a plane that an astronaut flew in military service, then it should at the least be the same squadron and representative of a plane that he may have actually flown, not just something close. It doesn't have to have his name on it since that's not an indication of them flying it or not, but it should be in time appropriate markings and definitive proof should be provided.

And I would think that NACA is pretty much in by default since NASA is a direct result of it. Just my thoughts.

Bill

Several astronauts were also X-Plane pilots, notably Neil Armstrong and the X-15.

Gordon Fullerton (shuttle ALT & STS-3 pilot) also flew the Tu-144.

hmmm...perhaps leaving the "flew this plane" aspect might be a little too open maybe? I mean, if you take all astronauts of all eras, with a great many of them coming from test projects and/or just test/joy rides of some sort sometime in their career, it would almost make every plane an option. Maybe narrow it down a little to served in, or assigned to fly type things? ??? I don't know, it's open to interpretation. Got a long time to figure all those details out I'm sure.

Bill

Bill

NASA marked (NACA) and other (like a F-14 with shuttle markings) might do the trick. Or at least working for NASA as long as there is photo evidence. (just a suggestion)

I would be in with NASA marked F-18B and F-104.

I wouldn't try to make things too restrictive as part of what can make a GB like this fun would be to see the creativity people can come up with. In my own case, I recently acquired a Matchbox F-14 to do up as one of the NASA test birds that Gordon Fullerton flew. I need to use a Matchbox kit since the plane in question was originally an FSD jet and only the Matchbox kit has a center fuselage with wing fences that resemble the prototype and FSD aircraft more closely than the later production models.

hmmm...perhaps leaving the "flew this plane" aspect might be a little too open maybe? I mean, if you take all astronauts of all eras, with a great many of them coming from test projects and/or just test/joy rides of some sort sometime in their career, it would almost make every plane an option. Maybe narrow it down a little to served in, or assigned to fly type things? ??? I don't know, it's open to interpretation. Got a long time to figure all those details out I'm sure.

Bill

Bill

I assumed the "flew this plane" qualification would include at least an attempt to represent a specific aircraft or at least the correct squadron if their aircraft was not distinctive.

On the test pilot front I expect for the most part the aircraft would mostly be prototypes and X-planes. Prototypes should offer some unusual markings if not some adjustment to the airframe. I would think the X-planes themselves would mostly qualify due to their connection to NACA / NASA.

I assumed the "flew this plane" qualification would include at least an attempt to represent a specific aircraft or at least the correct squadron if their aircraft was not distinctive.

On the test pilot front I expect for the most part the aircraft would mostly be prototypes and X-planes. Prototypes should offer some unusual markings if not some adjustment to the airframe. I would think the X-planes themselves would mostly qualify due to their connection to NACA / NASA.

Oh I agree. I was thinking mainly of any instances where say perhaps an astronaut got to fly with the Thunderbirds (don't know if that ever happened but it may have) I wouldn't think that would qualify a T-Bird F-16. The instance you used of Fullerton where he only evaluated the Tu-144 in 2 flights opens another can of worms because most astronaut have qualified in a large number of aircraft and may have only flown it a couple of times. Just Fullerton himself lists 25 or more different types. You guys call on that though, I'm open to whatever is decided if this thing gets off the ground.

BTW another chopper idea is the NASA UH-1's they fly. I've always wanted to do one of them as well. Beautiful in the white and blue scheme.

Need some votes though!

Bill

Edited by niart17

Sweet! Have a Starfighter that would be perfect for this build.

V/r

Ron

I have one of those in the stash as well I was considering. I had the cutting edge decals with the NASA birds on it, hopefully I didn't loose it in the flood. I hope this build takes off.

Bill

Great frikkin' idea William!

Nice, broad subject matter, but don't get too many degrees of separation, otherwise it's a Group Build where anything goes.

Is there a requirement that you Bill, actually build and complete one ?? :rofl:

I'm in!

Pete

Is there a requirement that you Bill, actually build and complete one ?? :rofl:/>

Pete

Well, I don't think we want to include What-Ifs, as in what if I actually finished a model!. :whistle: yeah yeah yeah I know. But I have actually finished a model here and there. It's a rare occasion, but it has been known to happen.

• 4 weeks later...

What a fantastic idea! Would a Bell X-1 qualify?

But of course it would. I can't think of any aircraft that is more of a lead in to the space program than that imho. It's even in THE movie so it has to count right?

Glad to see there is still interest in this. When all the new car smell of the new forums starts fading and the dust settles, I'll look into what it takes to do one and talk to the group build fairies about setting a date.

Bill