NASA Group Build Proposal

2 Degrees of Seperation, NASA  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Interested?

• Heck Yeah Gordo! (Yes)
    • I'm going to need more telemetry before I make the call (Maybe)
    • Houston, We have a problem (No)
    • What Planet are you From? (No NO!)

Ironically in the ARC downtime my lovely better-half convinced me to buy a 1/72 Shuttle with Fuel Tank and booster rockets. She is a space dork, obviously. It's not what I normally like to build, but you know, happy wife happy life!

I have the kit and have begun perusing and planning. I'll be good to go.

Ironically in the ARC downtime my lovely better-half convinced me to buy a 1/72 Shuttle with Fuel Tank and booster rockets. She is a space dork, obviously. It's not what I normally like to build, but you know, happy wife happy life!

I have the kit and have begun perusing and planning. I'll be good to go.

Awesome! BTW, take a peruse down in the real space area here, there are several 1/72 scale stack and non-stack models being done and a LOT of products being produced and planned. Look forward to seeing your build!

Bill

Would this one be legal? Joint NASA/USAF winglet project for the KC-135 fleet.

Boeing_KC-135A_55-3129_NASA_Winglet_Study.jpg

YUP! It's even got NASA written on it. That's not even one degree of separation, that IS Nasa. Besides, any plane with a sharp pointy nose and a purty eagle sunset logo should be allowed anywhere imho. I would love to see this built. Ya thinking 1/72nd or smaller?

Bill

ok, so it looks like maybe I did actually have a good idea! (don't tell my wife, she'll never believe ya')

So anyone want to help mod this thing? What do GB Mods do anyway? Do we get cool thrones and scepters to use to blast away the kits that aren't allowed? Cause I'm not gonna lie, that would be pretty cool! I'll put in the form when I find out more and hopefully we'll be go for launch in 10....9....8......

Bill

YUP! It's even got NASA written on it. That's not even one degree of separation, that IS Nasa. Besides, any plane with a sharp pointy nose and a purty eagle sunset logo should be allowed anywhere imho. I would love to see this built. Ya thinking 1/72nd or smaller?

Bill

I've got a "few" AMTech EC-135 ARIA/ALOTS kits in a box... I was going to cut the "Snoopy" nose off and graft bits from a ruined KC-135A kit from to build up the pointy end.

ohhhh, I forgot about the Aria/Alots kit. I have one of those (nasty warp!) and a regular 135 kit I was going to convert to the vomit comet as well. hmmm....yet another model I can not finish! Thanks...I think.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Another question about GB's in general. When you get sponsors for raffles, do they handle the shipping stuff typically or what? (here comes the cheapskate comment, sorry) Because I know I can't afford to ship a lot of stuff right now. My wife would kill me if I even tried that. Perhaps maybe by the time this takes off and wraps up it will be a different story, but today?....yeah I'm strapped.

Bill

NASA marked (NACA) and other (like a F-14 with shuttle markings) might do the trick. Or at least working for NASA as long as there is photo evidence. (just a suggestion)

I would be in with NASA marked F-18B and F-104.

Chris Hadfield flew CF-18s and Hawk 1, just to name a few.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everybody, I just got word that this GB has been approved to start in March 2014 so we have a go for launch! Woohoo! Thanks everyone for voting. I'll start up a planning thread and what not and get all the details worked out.

Bill

Ooh this is exciting. I have more than a few NASA projects I can consider for this one. Though not many of them have all that much seperation. They are simply NASA subjects.

Downside is I have to wait till March....:(

Zach

Most people who frequent this forum know that I am a Blackbird FREAK, so this is right up my alley. All three YF-12A jets carried the yellow & black NASA band, SR-71 #17951 was disguised as the so called YF-12C and carried an A-12 serial number over the yellow band and 3 different SR-71 jets carried the white & red NASA logo in the 1990s, both the "worm" and the later regular letters.

niart17, check your PM.

Darwin

Chris Hadfield flew CF-18s and Hawk 1, just to name a few.

Exactly the kinds of subjects I was thinking of doing. CF-18 options would include 410 duals or singles, and 425 duals or singles. The 425 jets would be the OLD ones (i.e. low tail numbers like 711, 716, etc). When Chris was on 425, he left in the summer of 1988 (6 months after I got to Bagotville on 433), and 425 had all the old jets while we showed up with brand-new Hornets (783 through 792, plus 924). 425's Hornets from that era had no LEX fences, had reddish canopy frames, no stiffeners on the tails, and many other traits of the originally-delivered aircraft.

I am strongly leaning toward doing a 1/32 single in that old style from 425 or 410... but also thinking about doing Hawk 1 in 1/32 - and definitely doing a Wolfpack T-38 in NASA colours.

Another option for Chris's aircraft would be the upcoming F-5B, in 419 colours. Some of those duals were gorgeous (the grape, the lizard, the ghost), and Chris probably flew most of the schèmes when he went through 419 in the fall of 1983.

Finally, someone wanting to do a USN F/A-18 that participated in the high AOA research program would be appropriate as well. Chris participated in that program, and came to Canada to brief us on the findings and recommendations.

Looking forward to this GB!

ALF

What about an astronaut in his space suit stand in line at the unemployment line?

I did like the one I saw years ago of Apollo 11 with an astronaut looking into a minor crater at a Coors can with the caption "Houston, we have a problem."

A bit non-traditional but there are a lot of paper models available for spacecraft.

I have a few from Spacecraft kits dot com, which are laser cut card stock and quite nice. Pretty straight forward to assemble and the look good hanging from the ceiling. You can find quite a few free print yourself kits too if you search google.

http://spacecraftkits.com/index.html

I assume paper kits are ok.

A bit non-traditional but there are a lot of paper models available for spacecraft.

I have a few from Spacecraft kits dot com, which are laser cut card stock and quite nice. Pretty straight forward to assemble and the look good hanging from the ceiling. You can find quite a few free print yourself kits too if you search google.

http://spacecraftkits.com/index.html

I assume paper kits are ok.

You know, I haven't thought about that. I assume none of the other GB had a stipulation that paper models were not allowed but correct me if I'm wrong. Again, I'll defer to the voice of the majority on that.

Bill

Exactly the kinds of subjects I was thinking of doing. CF-18 options would include 410 duals or singles, and 425 duals or singles. The 425 jets would be the OLD ones (i.e. low tail numbers like 711, 716, etc). When Chris was on 425, he left in the summer of 1988 (6 months after I got to Bagotville on 433), and 425 had all the old jets while we showed up with brand-new Hornets (783 through 792, plus 924). 425's Hornets from that era had no LEX fences, had reddish canopy frames, no stiffeners on the tails, and many other traits of the originally-delivered aircraft.

I am strongly leaning toward doing a 1/32 single in that old style from 425 or 410... but also thinking about doing Hawk 1 in 1/32 - and definitely doing a Wolfpack T-38 in NASA colours.

Another option for Chris's aircraft would be the upcoming F-5B, in 419 colours. Some of those duals were gorgeous (the grape, the lizard, the ghost), and Chris probably flew most of the schèmes when he went through 419 in the fall of 1983.

Finally, someone wanting to do a USN F/A-18 that participated in the high AOA research program would be appropriate as well. Chris participated in that program, and came to Canada to brief us on the findings and recommendations.

Looking forward to this GB!

ALF

He was ALSO on the winning team for William Tell back in the day. There is a photo of the Canadian participants (all with 80s style moustache) in "Canadian Air Force today" by Larry Millberry which of course is around 25 years old now.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump this to make sure it didn't get out of people's thoughts. So where/when should I start a "planning / inspiration" thread for this group build? Is that something the group build mod can do or is it supposed to go in to the group build area and I need to wait for the real mod's to add the section? Not sure how to handle all of that.

Bill

• 1 month later...