Hi there. I'm in.

Going to do a 354 TFW A-10 circa 1986-ish... I think. Why?

When I was about 15 my mom took us to Myrtle Beach for spring break and I remember the planes flying along the beach. Then I walked down the beach and did a tour of the base. Was fascinating for a teenage plane junkie. Then again I like nose art on planes and the Experts Choice decals include some from the Wing's deployment to Desert Storm... so....maybe!

I also want to test myself doing the Euro 1 paint scheme.

When I bought this kit I had the idea to display it on the ground with the gun bay panel and other details showing. It's just so interesting why not? As I go through I'll see if this plan sticks. Time may be the deciding factor here.

Anyway, I started on the cockpit last night (in between work on my Strike Eagle. Another goal on this build is to try to stay focussed on one plane and get it done!)

IMAGE_8.jpeg

IMAGE_9.jpeg

Carrying on....thanks

• 1 month later...

Hello.

Here we are, back at it.

I had posted an update prior to "The great ARC Outage" but it got lost. Now I have even more work to show.

Basically, I had completed a bunch of the needed sub-assemblies:

IMAGE_13.jpeg

Including the gun, with the idea being I was going to open up the panels and show the insides with the plane displayed as if it was undergoing a maintenance check or something like that.

IMAGE_14.jpeg

But during the downtime, and working on the plane some more, I realized that that was going to be a TON of work, and I am not sure I could pull it off well. So I continued basic assembly:

IMAGE_89.jpg

IMAGE_92.jpg

Including lead weights glued into the nose to stop the tail-sitting a finished plane would be:

IMAGE_93.jpg

Assembly included de-LASTE-ing the model, as I am doing a circa late 80's plane. I haven't put the engine cover panels on yet - debating about maybe leaving one open.

IMAGE_95.jpg

To where I finished last night:

IMAGE_97.jpg

Seam clean-up and sanding putty still required. I am pleased so far with how the model is turning out. But a little disappointed with all the half-promises of the kit. Meaning there is great potential to do lots of detailing with open speed-brakes, the gun-bay, dropped flaps, open engine bays etc. But a lot of the detail would be hidden, or require lots of work to display it. Oh well....

I am also still debating about whether to model this plane in-flight, or on the ground. Decisions decisions....

Thanks for looking.

• 1 month later...

Well - almost two months since my last update. Progress was slowed by a 3-week trip for work then a small vacation and illness. But progress was made.

Basically, I finally decided to make the plane in flying mode with the wheels up. General assembly is done. There were a few places that needed some putty to clean up loose joints etc. but all in all it wasn't bad. (Certainly better than the Italeri Mirage2000 I made while travelling - more putty than glue is holding that together - but I digress).

These aren't the latest photos: last night I primed the plane, and did a final clean-up of some small scratches and seams. Ready to go with the colors now. These are bad photos from my phone, sorry for the fuzzyness.

IMAGE_118.jpg.

IMAGE_119.jpg

Edited by bikerider
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Benner... no I won't be putting this on a stand. I hang most of my models on the ceiling using monofilament. I prefer that over putting them on shelves.

I have made more progress this week - paint.

This is my first ever go at Euro-1 with an airbrush. That's my main challenge on this group build - to do it right.

The plane is primed with Tamiya grey primer. Paints are Model Master Acryls.

The first green

IMAGE_176.jpg

Masked the first green and did the dark green.

IMAGE_177.jpg

Then free-handed the grey.

IMAGE_179.jpg

And here is the masking removed.

IMAGE_180.jpg

Next steps - go back with the greens and refine the edges between each color, and then post shade some of the panel lines.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Kevin

Well.... Didn't I screw up

When I looke at my pics this morning compared to others, particularly Benner's fine build , something didn't look right on mine. Well maybe a lot to some eyes, but the dark green in particular.

Mine is way off. I used fs 34079. Shoulda been fs34092. Now what.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what it is is what it is. No further progress from last time. I'll keep working on this and get it done soon, but not in time for the group build deadline.

Thanks gents. This has been fun, mostly, and I have learned about A-10s more than I did. Nice job to those of you who did finish. Happy 2014.

• 1 month later...

Well.... almost two months late. But - finished!

After my painting problems I put this one away for a while and worked on other things. But came back to it a couple weeks ago. And here it is, hanging in my display area. It does need some minor touch-up paint. And in a near disaster the windscreen cracked in half as I was putting it on. But I leave for holidays tomorrow so this is where the plane will be for now.

Anyways, here's some photos. Taken with my phone-camera, so the quality is not great.

Thanks for the group build... I build slow, but I do get them done.

IMAGE_183.jpg

IMAGE_185.jpg

IMAGE_187.jpg

IMAGE_188.jpg