Zvezda Su-27 on its way

That shot on the in-flight stand is gorgeous! :wub:

<...>

But..... if Zvezda's glacial release schedule is anything to go by, don't expect anything too soon <....>

Hmmm, on the other hand, their Mi-24V/VP was followed quite quickly by both the Mi-35M and the Mi-24A. It's the P we're now waiting for impatiently. :bandhead2: (Not that I've started any of the 9 Zvezda Hinds I have, mind you...)

Edited by ChernayaAkula

To be fair it didnt seem that Zvezda initially planned to do a P. Atleast impression i get is that it was an afterthought after modelers expressed they would like to see a Mi-24P release too.

Look at those sexy lines! :wub:

To be fair it didnt seem that Zvezda initially planned to do a P. Atleast impression i get is that it was an afterthought after modelers expressed they would like to see a Mi-24P release too.

Oh, that's interesting. Going by the parts breakdown, I'd have guessed they always had the P on the cards, with release being only a matter of time.

Okay, sorry for thread drifting! Back to the Su-27.

Since it has pilot, it is a better kit that GWH F-15 by default. ;) :D

:rofl:

Edited by ChernayaAkula

Sorry for asking but I gotta know!! Are the Su-27SM's rebuilds or brand new airframes? Also is there a rhyme or reason on why certain dielelectric panels are green on some A/C and some are white and some are the camouflage color?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not remotely a Flanker expert - is this kit supposed to represent the basic Su-27P interceptor variant?

No - its an upgraded one - some based on existing airframes, some new-build - see Marios post.

New/improved radar, avionics engines etc.

For some reason they moved the IRST ball from the centre of the windscreen to the starboard side - to make way for the fitment of an IFR probe to port - as on the Su-33. Su-30 series, Su-35S etc.

Except - they haven't fitted an IFR probe !!.

So Zvezda's model is of a one-off configuration (SM, SM2, SM3 - not much visual difference) - and it cannot easily be converted to a 'standard' Su-27 without replacing the windscreen and the bulged mounting base for the offset IRST.

Here's an SM3 (note the twin aerials on the spine) - taken at Zhukovsky in 2012......

day1_019.JPG

This is an early Su-27SM taken at Lipetsk in 2005 - visual clues are the offset IRST - but no IFR probe, RWR aerials on the L/E slats - and no flat plate antenna on the sides of the intakes....

day_02_62.jpg

Here's a freshly painted 'standard' Su-27 for comparison.....

day_02_03.jpg

Ken

Sorry for asking but I gotta know!! Are the Su-27SM's rebuilds or brand new airframes? Also is there a rhyme or reason on why certain dielelectric panels are green on some A/C and some are white and some are the camouflage color?

Thanks in advance!

As Mario correctly said, SM's are modernized, SM3's are new builds. Regarding green/white, there is no particular reason. Russians just like to mix things up, uniformity is overrated. :rolleyes:/> It was same thing in the army before. One could have picture of 20 soldiers, and they would all be in different camo and have different equipment.

PS: Windscreen was moved not because of non-exsisting IFR. But because the view forward was simply better.

Edited by Berkut

Why on earth did Zvezda screw it up? They have a linker kit of a one-off prototype? I wonder who will be first up with the new windscreen and IRST fairing so you can build a P?

Why on earth did Zvezda screw it up? They have a killer kit of a one-off prototype? I wonder who will be first up with the new windscreen and IRST fairing so you can build a P?

Why on earth did Zvezda screw it up? They have a killer kit of a one-off prototype? I wonder who will be first up with the new windscreen and IRST fairing so you can build a P?

They didn't screw anything up! The SM isn't a "one off prototype" , it's an in service upgrade to the Su-27. Think of it like an F-15C MSIP aircraft.esides, the breakdown has a separate forward fuselage, a standard Su -27 will be along in due course.

So Zvezda's model is of a one-off configuration (SM, SM2, SM3 - not much visual difference) - and it cannot easily be converted to a 'standard' Su-27 without replacing the windscreen and the bulged mounting base for the offset IRST.

According to Ken it is...

Why on earth did Zvezda screw it up? They have a linker kit of a one-off prototype? I wonder who will be first up with the new windscreen and IRST fairing so you can build a P?

Just google and you shall find out there is 4 squadrons of Su-27SM + one squadron of Su-27SM3. Zvezda didn't screw up anything, you are just hyperventilating. Not to mention Ken said nothing like what you are saying so stop arguing.

A standard Su -27 will be along in due course.

Hope so,don't want another Mig-21 or Hind forgotten and viable variants and I can't even remember where in the earth are my 2 Zvezda Mig-21s,found an empty Bis box but not the kit :(

Is Russia the only operator of the SM variant?.

Yes, and no. There are Su-27SKM's in service in Indonesian AF. These are basically Su-27SM's but with refuel probe:

7YloU2e.jpg

c7bcHFo.jpg

Should be easy enough to make from Zvezda's kit.

Excuse me?

If you had read Ken's post slowly and read in context of what he was saying, then there wouldn't be a need to jump the gun and claim that Zvezda "screwed up".

Excuse me?

I think Ken should have worded it better so people don't misunderstand. He didn't mean one-off airframe.

What he tried to say with one-off configuration was about the unusual mix: offset IRST but no IFR probe. Since pretty much all other new or modernized flanker variants have offset IRST + IFR, including the Indonesian Su-27SKM Berkut mentioned.

So CHILL OUT DUDES!

Also from previous threads and photos, you can notice that Zvezda already designed the parts to be modular and easier to cater the other versions.

Edited by Inquisitor
<...> I wonder who will be first up with the new windscreen and IRST fairing so you can build a P?

Looks like the IRST housing isn't integrated in the kit's windscreen, but a separate "grey plastic" piece. If that turns out to be the case, you could keep the windscreen, sand off the SM's IRST pedestal and adapt the IRST part itself and move it to the middle position.

I think a dialing down of the crankiness/snarkiness/sarcasm/general pissy moods is on order. There will be no cookies and lemonade at recess if the kids don't play nice.

Alvis 3.1

ARC Hall Monitor and Model Kit Stacker.