Salt Mask Issue

Hi fellas...

after 6 months I'm finally ready to do some weathering, so I have a question about my first salt masking venture...

Since i've never done it before I decided to practice on some older junked up planes with german rlm 75 as the base color. I painted, applied a few decals and then covered with Future.

Once dry I used a spray bottle to soak the plane, but all the water beaded up and / or rolled off. Therefore I knew the salt from the grinder wasn't even going to look right even before I started.

What did I do wrong here? Is it supposed to bead up? Am I supposed to soak it or just a light spray?

Any thoughts or ideas???

Thanks

The first (and only) time I tried salt weathering, I applied the water with my Badger 200 airbrush using just plain water. Worked like a charm and if needed it's easy to apply a little extra water to fix the salt!

IMG_7953_zpsddb7e0f5.jpg

Edited by Phantom726
  • 4 weeks later...

I have used the salt masking with some success but I use it opposite the way that you are trying. I mix up a small lid full of salt and a few drops of water to make a paste. I then apply the paste. at the edges, some grains of salt separate from the main mass but they stick ok.

The first (and only) time I tried salt weathering, I applied the water with my Badger 200 airbrush using just plain water. Worked like a charm and if needed it's easy to apply a little extra water to fix the salt!

IMG_7953_zpsddb7e0f5.jpg

Is there an 'AFTER' photo?? Curious to see how it came out.

Bo