Tamiya Williams F1 BMW F24

Here's my build. Tamiya Williams F1 BMW F24 kit. Will be built out of box w/ the kit decals. Only thing I will use other than what's in the kit is some bare metal foil to replace the foil from the kit that was used prior to owning the kit. I got the kit from a friend, and the foil for the rear suspension arms was applied incorrectly so I'll replace that w/ BMF in my stash.

BMW-01_zps9113d939.jpg

BMW-02_zps0c1dde2e.jpg

I've started building, but no measurable progress so far. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have enough progress to post.

Here's my build. Tamiya Williams F1 BMW F24 kit. Will be built out of box w/ the kit decals. Only thing I will use other than what's in the kit is some bare metal foil to replace the foil from the kit that was used prior to owning the kit. I got the kit from a friend, and the foil for the rear suspension arms was applied incorrectly so I'll replace that w/ BMF in my stash.

BMW-01_zps9113d939.jpg

BMW-02_zps0c1dde2e.jpg

I've started building, but no measurable progress so far. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have enough progress to post.

Hello,

I look forward to seeing more progress on your FW24. I'm currently building one. Please have a look at the WIP posts on my blog: http://formulaonemodelling.wordpress.com/current-builds/

Thank you!

I've not had any problems yet... however masking the white/blue was very difficult and time-consuming.

I also purchased a set of Studio 27 Cartograf decals, these are just better quality than the kit decals, and include white fill-in decals for the complicated part of white on the cowling. These are similar to the rear-wing fill-in decals.

Good luck and I'm glad that you like mine!

• 4 weeks later...

Man, this build is driving me fricking insane. I've painted & stripped the driver seat 4 times. It'll either have crap in the blue paint, not go down right or when I mask for the black, I cant get the masking off of the blue.

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh, I swear this model is cursed or something. I'm in the process of stripping the driver seat for the 6th time. I just cant get it painted w/o something going wrong. And unfortunately its not possible to make much forward progress until the seat is painted.

Haha, yes it is. Its just hasnt gone right. My first 3 attempts the paint went down pretty decent but the liquid mask I was trying to use to get the black down just wouldnt come off, and then I've had several times where the blue paint would bubble, or some other issue.

Hopefully this next attempt this morning will work out. I've decided that I'm going to hand paint the 2nd color.

That's a lot of work for a seat. Hang in there.

Holy crap I'm just snake bit on this model.

This morning I got the seat all stripped of the paint from last night, made sure the plastic was totally clean & dry, and repainted it. Was very happy w/ how it came out, looked really good, and then left to go spend time w/ mine & my wifes families.

Got home about an hour ago, and checked the seat, and found this:

BMW-05_zps240d982f.jpg

I'm absolutely at a loss at this point. This has happened a couple of times already, leading to the paint being stripped & being repainted. Paint is Tamiya Sky Blue thinned w/ Tamiya thinner. The part had been cleaned very thoroughly w/ dish soap & a tooth brush using hot water, and then left to dry completely.

Thinking at this point of stripping it, then putting some kind of primer on it, probably Duplicolor lacquer primer if I have any in my paint collection. And then attempting to repaint it again, for the 7th time.

Yea at this point I would definitely primer. Bad luck man. Maybe move to a different sub assembly to change the mojo?

+1 on the primer!! I use Tamiyas primer in a spray bomb. Never used to prime, but after a few expensive and disastrous paint jobs, i prime most everything, now. Is there any way you can mask with something else? +1 on moving onto another subassembly, too. Good luck!!

Don

I've used Tamiya primer in the past, its nice, I like it. Unfortunately I dont have any right now, but I do have Testors Lacquer White Primer, so I think I'll give that a shot.

I have been thinking about moving on to the engine & rear suspension, just to make progress on something else.

Finally forward progress to report on this thing.

Got the seat primed last weekend and then painted blue again on Tuesday. Last night I painted the black, and then tonight I did some touch ups and painted the detail on the seat belts.

BMW-07_zps10982f73.jpg

BMW-08_zps5b844a14.jpg

BMW-11_zpsdf058931.jpg

Hoping to get the cockpit assembled in the next few days and move on to the engine compartment, but I've been informed by my social coordinator that we have plans on Saturday afternoon and I have plans to go to Cars & Coffee Saturday morning w/ some friends, so I dont know that much building will be done this weekend.

Hi Don. The harness is part of the kit, made of 2 separate pieces. The upper half is the shoulder straps, and the top half of the buckle and the lower portion is the lap belts & the submarine belts and the bottom latch.

Made some pretty good progress today, got the cockpit glued together and then glued the intake side pods in place. Also did some work assembling the nose. I had the front wing assembled several weeks ago, and painted the bottom of it the semi-gloss black the instructions call for, but b/c of the issues w/ the driver seat, its just sat in the box since then.

BMW-13_zps76e39f2d.jpg

I've noticed that the engine cover doesnt seem to fit quite right and I'm not exactly sure why at the moment. My guess is something in the side pod is running the inside of the cover. I dont plan on displaying the model very often w/ the cover off, so I'll probably look at thinning either the inside of the cover or what ever is touching, so that it sits correctly.

BMW-15_zpscd59e9a5.jpg

And then just a test fit w/ the nose.

BMW-18_zps4c8b77f7.jpg