RF-4C "Gulf War" in 1/72

This will be my phirst F-4 for years now, and I´m quite excited! I use Revells excellent RF-4E-kt, but won´t do the german Luftwaffe version, but build a USAF RF-4C in Hill II-scheme instead. I tried to get hold on the "Gulf War Warriors"-decal set by ADM, but finally decided to order a set of manufacturer Carpena, which also includes a nice version for a Gulf War RF-4C.

So far the cockpit is nearly done.

This is a first impression of the cockpit:

IMG_3891_zpsf1cc7d43.jpg

I was quite happywith it - especially the instrument details came out very nicley - until I dry-fitted it into the fuselage. I quickly discovered that the pilots would have to fly blind all the time because of the seats being to low.

So I corrected the seat-position:

IMG_3894_zps1c50b109.jpg

The next steps were working on the crew and the first camera-phalanx, stuff that can be seen here in this picture:

IMG_3893_zps1a1262f8.jpg

HAJO

Great work so far! The Revell Phantoms look very nice in the box, although it's been said there are some shape issues in places like the nose. (Revell essentially shrank their 1/32 scale Phantoms from the 90's down to 72nd scale.) Despite the shape complaints, I still stashed two RF-4E's to build as RF-4C's in the future; they're still a big improvement over the Esci (and even Fujimi) Phantoms.

What do you plan to do about the engine nozzles and stabilators to make RF-4C's?

Definitely keep us posted!

Hmm, nozzles and stabilators.... I have to check my references what are the main differences between the "E" and the "C". I´m well known to simply ignore such things, unless the changes are easy to do. ;-)

HAJO

Hajo, the short RF-4C burner cans are very noticably different from the long cans in the RoG kit.

However, I have a couple of Hasegawa short cans you're welcome to, I know from experience they fit the RoG kit just fine.

Cheers,

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

The forum is back! Great!

And I´m almost done already, but will show you the pictures of the progress:

Last look of the open cockpit before closing the halves:

IMG_3896_zps48013c07.jpg

And the closed fuselage:

IMG_3897_zps648b3dc3.jpg

You can see how deep the RIO sits, with very limited view outside:

IMG_3898_zps8643b231.jpg

Some more wings added:

IMG_3901_zps8d43984a.jpg

And the bird sits on its own feet!

IMG_3907_zps600b17e2.jpg

I had to really press the ejection seat handles close to the seat. Now they are more behind than above the pilots heads, but that´s the only way to get them into the canopy.

IMG_3908_zps48ade637.jpg

And the painting has been done. The Phantom is ready for decaling:

IMG_3909_zps15b42d19.jpg

The finished decal-job, with no matt gloss applied yet. The Carpena decals posed some trouble, as they were falling apart in the water, especially the black ones. Those with multiples colours worked better, but still were sensitive during the application process. I solved the problem by applying two coats of Microscale Liquid Decal film. After that they could be treated without any trouble.

IMG_3921_zpsac99c714.jpg

All that´s missing now on my model are the AIM-9Ls, I will attach them after the weekend (I´m out of town) and take pictures of the finished bird.

HAJO

They say the F-4 is prove for the thesis that even a brick can fly with enough jet-engines attached... I think it´s still kind of elegant, even though it has very huge engines:

IMG_3957_zps4cef1e07.jpg

IMG_3958_zps4cce4dc1.jpg

IMG_3959_zps74cc7552.jpg

IMG_3961_zps2f3fe24e.jpg

I already have a Monogramm F-4C in my stash, so expect some more Phantom in the phuture!

HAJO