This is one of the few car kits I have in my stash, always had an eye on it to build someday, well here we are! Since the After Market PE is sickly overpriced for this kit, it will be built out of box. This is the first car kit I have built in 15 years, so please bear with me, I'm primarily a "Fly" (airplane guy).

V/r

Ron

Here's the goods!

IMG_0483_zps577f51cb.jpg

IMG_0484_zpsb651a66f.jpg

Edited by bashace

The idea was to reduce wind resistance and lift caused by the taller tires, the drawback was the smaller tied had to turn more rpms and wore out quicker.

Curt

As I delve deeper into the build planning, looks like there's going to be a lot of itty bitty parts that will have to get the Alclad treatment to make them look good. Car models are what really got me interested in plastic modeling in the beginning, so it feels good to reach back to my modeling roots after all these years!

V/r

Ron

Yes, Alclad is fantastic!

One little word of warning I would give you from my experience of this kit, is the DFV Engine's exhaust pipes. They are very difficult to assemble. Try to get them as straight as possible, and of course the ends need to be close to each other, to make it easier for them to connect together when you attach the connector pipes.

Jake

Thanks for the heads up Jake, I'll take it real slow and carefull during those steps. Here's some of the assembly work that will be getting Alclad Aluminum or Gunmetal. Got a little cleanup work to do before blasting with some primer.

IMG_0492_zps4658ac2f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Coke? Does that work or is that something else that looks like coke?

Just regular old Coke from a can, poured enough in glass to cover parts, then drank the rest with some JD. After 24 hours or so, this is what you get...stripped to bare plastic!

IMG_0558_zps3329084c.jpg

Coke!! Who would have thought!! I have an old dragster kit i'll try that on. Gotta wonder... what does coke do to your stomach... might be better to thin it with CC, Appleton, JD, The Captain before consumption....

Don

By removing the chrome, I get a better surface to work with for paint, and I don't have to sweat trying to match up the areas that were exposed from cutting the part from the sprue tree.

V/r

Ron

Yea I'll try it for sure. I've only tried to strip once with oven cleaner and nothing happened so I was perplexed. I jut painted the velocity staks for my Tyrrel an I just painted over the plates chroming. Turned out really good.

Nice to see this one continuing!

Hmm, oven cleaner is my go to, never had any issues. I used to lay the parts out flat and spray them, and then read about using a large gallon size ziplock bag. Put the parts in it, and spray the cleaner into the bag and then seal it and leave it for about an hour. Come back and generally its totally clean. Tried using bleach once, which worked to get the chrome off, but it didnt take off the clear coat that was applied to the plastic prior to it being chromed.

• 5 weeks later...