Field Full of Phantoms

While I was visiting the Hill Air Force Base Museum in Ugden Utah, which is just north of Salt Lake City, I came across a field of F-4's awaiting restoration and inclusion into a display for the entrance to the museum. The aircraft were parked along the side and in the rear of the main exhibition hall and were worth the 107 degree heat and desert sun to get a chance to shoot them. I hope you enjoy the pics. Harry

PICT2071_zpsf98eb941.jpg

F-4D (66-8711)

PICT2058_zps10600953.jpg

RF-4C (65-0905)

PICT2076_zps68e00572.jpg

F-4E (68-0304)

PICT2075_zps6b2ffe7d.jpg

F-4E (68-0476)

PICT2072_zps5b5a4060.jpg

I went to HILL AFB museum on my 21st birthday in 2006. I was in SLC for 3 months snowboarding. Needless to say my friends got bored after half an hour. Quite an amazing collection they have. I was so excited to see the phantoms and the 2 seat wild weasel F-105.

• 2 months later...

While I was visiting the Hill Air Force Base Museum in Ugden Utah, which is just north of Salt Lake City, I came across a field of F-4's awaiting restoration and inclusion into a display for the entrance to the museum. The aircraft were parked along the side and in the rear of the main exhibition hall and were worth the 107 degree heat and desert sun to get a chance to shoot them. I hope you enjoy the pics. Harry

PICT2071_zpsf98eb941.jpg

F-4D (66-8711)

PICT2058_zps10600953.jpg

RF-4C (65-0905)

PICT2076_zps68e00572.jpg

F-4E (68-0304)

PICT2075_zps6b2ffe7d.jpg

F-4E (68-0476)

PICT2072_zps5b5a4060.jpg

Great shots of the old gals, I'm a working volunteer at the Hill Museum and visit these birds frequently, sadly enough the two white birds the Rf-4 & F-4E will not be restored due to lack of funds and also Wright-Pat says the museum has too many Phantoms in the collection, The museum is working very hard trying to find them homes and prevent them ending up on the bombing range.

Edited by Benjaminht99

Thanks for sharing, sure hope someone there gets the time and can locate and install the backbone (and side) panels on 65-0905. Even if with just a couple of fasteners, as that is certainly not good for her! I would guess the St. Louis bird might've been at Hill for Depot when it was decommissioned, so stayed? It looks to be very complete, including the seats? Like a moment in time. Any Museum would do well to add that one.

Great shots of the old gals, I'm a working volunteer at the Hill Museum and visit these birds frequently, sadly enough the two white birds the Rf-4 & F-4E will not be restored due to lack of funds and also Wright-Pat says the museum has too many Phantoms in the collection, The museum is working very hard trying to find them homes and prevent them ending up on the bombing range.

I'll take them. They'd look great in my yard. Maybe they would scare off the neighbor's garden gnomes. Shipping might be high, I guess. Not as ridiculous as some online shops, though.

• 2 months later...

Well as I said in an earlier post about the Field full of Phantoms coming to and end, It looks like the end is near as announced this morning.

See link for details.

https://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=28882919&nid=148&title=hill-aerospace-museum-to-cut-18-aircraft-3-missiles-from-collection&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-2

I have been following the developments of the downsize for a few weeks now, and I just hope they find each aircraft a new home. This same downsizing if inventory is happening to another Air Force museum closer to my home. The Warner Robins AFBM in Georgia has recently lost a few of their aircraft including a F-105G, H-34 and EE Lightning. Fortunately they all found other facilities, but none of in this area.

By the way Benjamin, you guys should be very proud of your museum, it was one of the best facilities I have been to and the surrounding mountains takes the breath away from this flat lander Florida boy.

Do keep us inform if you find out anymore