Hello all!! Entering the Tamiya 1/12 kit of the Wolf WR71. There were a few 1/12 kits at the hobby shop, reason i picked this one is it has Canadian flags on it. I don't follow any auto races nor do i build car kits on a regular basis, this is the first open wheeled racer that turns corners that i've ever built.

IMG_2785_zps63dbc4da.jpg

Have started the build and have some subassemblies done. I find there is a little flash on some parts, though i think this is due to the age of the kit. Will post some pics once i have a bit more progress done.

Don

Cool, one of my favorite cars.

FYI... Indycals sells blue number decals that will allow you to paint the gold as opposed to using the kit decals.

http://www.indycals.net/decals/f1/77wolfwr1.html

I saw those, Bigasshamm pointed those out to me. The Tamiya kit includes the blue numbers and Castrol logo in blue, i just have to decide if i want to use them and to figure out the paint sequence. Tamiya gives a color callout for the blue, it should be a good match for the decals. The decals themselves are done by Cartograf so they should work well.

Don

So, i was able to spend time on Sunday and Monday in a marathon build session. I was able to get a lot done with assembling/flash cleanup/paint all the engine parts, suspension,coolers,brakes.... What i'll do next is give everything a clearcoat then give some parts a wash. Still debating on the sequence for the tub and the side fuel tanks, whether to paint/assemble or assemble/paint. The photoetch parts incluede with the kit give some parts that really aren't an improvement over the plastic. Most of the fret will be going into the spares bin, though the belt buckle parts look real nice. Two pics for the nite.

IMG_2865_zpsafc98a0a.jpg

IMG_2866_zpsc8df474c.jpg

Don

• 4 weeks later...

OK, put some primer down today. I used Tamiya grey primer in a spray bomb, stuff works great unless the guy painting errs. I went a "little" heavy in a few spots and got some runs, also have a few pinholes i'll have to go over. Couple of pics.

IMG_2894_zpsb7e8da95.jpg

IMG_2895_zps01d2059d.jpg

Don

Managed to get the color coats down today. i used a Tamiya spraybomb as recommended in the instructions. This is a really dark blue, i think i should have started with a darker prime coat. I think i'll let it dry for a few days before decalling.

IMG_2898_zps588ea661.jpg

IMG_2899_zpsd317a482.jpg

Don

Never fear the Tamiya spray bombs. They dry rock hard almost within hours. I've decaled the next day and not had a problem. As with anything always use the smell test. Hold the part to your nose if it still smells give it more time but I can attest to the TS sprays they are awesome.

Looking great.

Never fear the Tamiya spray bombs. They dry rock hard almost within hours. I've decaled the next day and not had a problem. As with anything always use the smell test. Hold the part to your nose if it still smells give it more time but I can attest to the TS sprays they are awesome.

Looking great.

Hello Big!! I hear you about the tamiya bombs, i've used a few before and agree on the toughness. I have to clamp the body side parts pretty aggressivly to the tub, so i want to make absolute certain there will be no chance of ruining the paint. One question, tamiya has a clear gloss in spraybombs, can i use this over their decals safely?

Don

I've heard mixed results about their clear gloss. I can't even get it anymore at my LHS they say it's been discontinued or something. I have heard that it will eat decals if you're not super careful. Maybe use it as the base and finish with something else?

I've heard mixed results about their clear gloss. I can't even get it anymore at my LHS they say it's been discontinued or something. I have heard that it will eat decals if you're not super careful. Maybe use it as the base and finish with something else?

Ok then, that's enough reason to stay with Tamiya acrylic gloss. The paint is dry now, i'll clearcoat it today and start decalling middle of the week. I did hang most of the panels just to see how it looks.

IMG_2900_zpsdf3745a9.jpg

IMG_2901_zps87424955.jpg

Don

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!! Starting in on the decals tonight. These are by Cartograf and are working really well so far. I started in on the #20 on the front of the upper body part, there is some wrinkling. I hope it settles down. I also did the decals on the nose/spoiler, rear spoiler, and air scoop. The decals really worked well, but there are no panel lines to worry about. I do like the mix of colors, looking forward to applying the rest. Some pics.

IMG_2903_zpsce5edda2.jpg

IMG_2904_zps4bf4fe86.jpg

IMG_2905_zps541f70e0.jpg

IMG_2906_zps0c840842.jpg

Don

Have all the stickers on tonight, just have to deal with some edges. Have to say the big gold pieces went on better than i thought they would. The nose #20 wrinkled a bit, might have to live with a few flaws. if i did this again i think i would paint the gold. Pics for the night, did a dry fit.

IMG_2908_zps6a46872b.jpg

IMG_2907_zpsc139a182.jpg

Don

Awesome. Would love to see you do the 1/12 FW14b and MP4-6. They're much more detailed.

I've seen those, the FW14B is tempting. What i would like to see are some of the current F1 cars done. I really like the complex airdam systems and intakes. The Red Bull, Mercedes, and Ferraris are really wild!! The build went a little sideways, applied the clearcoats and had the nose decal go bad. Don't know why this happened, but it did. Going to put it away to let the clear harden as the next step will involve heavy clamping on the side body parts. What i should have done is painted the gold on, will think about what to do. One pic for the night.

IMG_2910_zps8e64c06e.jpg

If you can't repair it and have to strip off that decal send an email to Michael at Indycals. He may be able to print you just a new nose decal. I believe he has both with the gold and without.

Did you use the Tamiya clear coat? I've heard it eats decals before.

As far as 1/12 modern cars there aren't any. The most modern 1/12 I can think of is Revell Germany did the Ferrari F2002 but it's not supposed to be a nice kit and is hard as heck to find or a reasonable price.

If you want an incredible 1/12 kit model factory hiro will be releasing the McLaren MP4/4 shortly in full detail. But it's going to retail for around 650$. :(

Edited by Bigasshammm

Those MFH kits are wild!! Took a look at their website, they have really great stuff. Don't know what I'm going to do. I may just finish it as is and maybe redo it later. I would have to redo the complete top part as the nose decal is close to the others. I did use Tamiya acrylic clearcoat, something I've used lots before with no problems.

Don

Edited by dmthamade

Yea I think with the newer decals there's been a problem of Tamiya clear eating them. Which possibly is why they've at least taken the sprays off the market.

I'd still consider getting in touch with Indycals. Heck the entire sheet is probably only 15$ but if you just need te nose bits he may have a partial and it will be mere dollars. Michael is a great guy. You could get in touch with Tamiya too but you'd have a wait on your hands.

If you like the new cars get the Tamiya RB6. It's 1/20 scale but has all the flowig lines of the new cars. Comes with seatbelts and everything so you're good to go oob.