OK, starting to fix the bad decals. My plan of attack is to turn this into a whiff, stripping off the blue and painting it white overall. I then plan on applying some Anime decals i've found, kinda like the Hasegawa F-14/15 kits they released. Pic of decals.

6c6efedc31e7de6662467a5ecd67c833_zpsa66ef9eb.jpg

Should be a very unique build!!

Nah!! Just messin' with ya!! My plan is to strip the upper body and nose, repaint, then apply decals i ordered yesterday from Indycals. There are three different schemes for the car, many similarities but unique in their own way. I plan on doing the same scheme, but painting the gold. I'm not stripping the wing or side pods as the paint and decals are in good shape. There might be a small mismatch in the gold, but i can accept that. The gold i'm using is a Mr. Color gold.

I did strip the parts. I first tried using Easy Off oven cleaner, which removed the acrylic clear coat fine but barely moved the blue. I tried Castrol Superclean degreaser with no effect. I have to say, Tamiya spraysare really tough paints!! I used brake fluid which finally stripped the paint. I will have to go over the small filled areas and give everything a fine sanding, then on to primer.

IMG_2911_zps1433ad1e.jpg

Don

Wow all that for that nose decal! i would have left it like that !

here we go again!

Hello Neo!! I thought about leaving it, but it was like a BIG zit on the tip of your nose. Every time I looked at it, it just disturbed my mind. I didn't strip all parts as some were good. One of the decals on the nose piece was affected as well, so it's getting redone too. There may be a mismatch in the gold, but I can live with that ( I hope ).

Don

Small update!! I managed to assemle the drivetrain to the front half of the car, it's standing on all four now!!! I've also finished most of the cockpit, oil cooler, and spoiler. I also ran the oil lines. i think there are a lot of lines that aren't supplied such as fuel supply/return, brake lines, clutch lines...something for the superdetailers and aftermarket to do. The Indycals arrived this week, i still have to prime and paint the stripped parts. Hopefully i can do this tomorrow. One pic for the day.

IMG_2912_zpsb784d2ba.jpg

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. I finished the belts and glued in the rollbar. I also managed to prime the stripped parts. Hopefully i'll be able to shoot the color coats tomorrow. When installing the airscoop, i found some idiot ( yours truly ) put a fingerprint right on the top!! It's really only 2-3 lines, but geez, can i catch a break? Pics for the night.

IMG_2923_zpsfaf882dc.jpg

IMG_2924_zps0c809f64.jpg

IMG_2925_zps0dc2fdff.jpg

Don

Looks great!

Thanks, B!! I'm looking at the build and it looks "off" without all the hoses and wiring. I realize Tamiya can only do so much, maybe if i do another build i'll add more detailing. I also think ( maybe incorrectly ) that the aluminum tub should show some wear and tear. I was off work today, HUGE sinus headache. Felt better late noon so i sprayed the color coat on, this time i followed the instructions outlined on the Tamiya site. Did not have any problems, the paint laid down perfectly. Hopefully i'll be able to mask and spray the gold this weekend. Pics.

IMG_2927_zps6be4d6e7.jpg

IMG_2926_zps71d1868c.jpg

BTW, the STRONG paint fumes didn't do my headache any good. Head's just hammering awaynow, will have to rest. I painted in the garage but still fumes affecting me.

Don

Yea the 1/12 kits are good benchmarks to throw extra detailing at.

It all depends on the tub warewise. If you want it to be post race then maybe it would be dirty. But really every racecar is essentially rebuilt after every race. So it would be thoroughly cleaned and replaced if need be. The current cars get completely stripped and repainted before every race. Because that extra layer of paint would just add too much weight. It's crazy.

For these older cars it's hard to find period pictures which would be the best way to replicate it.

Yea the 1/12 kits are good benchmarks to throw extra detailing at.

It all depends on the tub warewise. If you want it to be post race then maybe it would be dirty. But really every racecar is essentially rebuilt after every race. So it would be thoroughly cleaned and replaced if need be. The current cars get completely stripped and repainted before every race. Because that extra layer of paint would just add too much weight. It's crazy.

For these older cars it's hard to find period pictures which would be the best way to replicate it.

I hear you Big!! I guess the aircraft modeller in me wants to weather the build. I did do some washes on the engine/transmission and other smaller areas. Today i finally sprayed the gold. I used Tamiya TS-21 spraybomb. I was going to decant and airbrush the gold on, in the end i masked, cleaned, held my breath and sprayed two coats. Stuff worked great with complete coverage. Color match is very close, after clearcoat it may be exact. Big, i should have taken your advice and sprayed the gold, Tamiya even included the decals for this option. Two pics.

IMG_2930_zps899a7740.jpg

IMG_2929_zpsb98fde15.jpg

Hopefully i'll clearcoat tomorrow and decal later on in the week.

Don

Stunning!

Thanks, Big!! I really am enjoying the build in spite of the setbacks. Speaking of setbacks, i was looking at the decal placement guide when i noticed something. In the process of stripping the nose i lost one of the end plate. No big deal, i just made two more thinner ones out of sheet stock using the original as a pattern. Cut, filed, sanded and installed the plates....BACKWARDS!!! Nope, not going back on these, they're staying put.

IMG_2932_zpsec8469ee.jpg

Don

Got around to applying decals to the nose and upper body. These are Indycal decals, and they worked really well. Very thin, in register,good color match. There is one complex area where the decal conformed ok, a little Microsol took care of it. Will let the decals dry, then clearcoat in one or two days. Should be done for the weekend.

IMG_2933_zps3c0d9375.jpg

IMG_2934_zps63f6aee6.jpg

Don

So clean and nice!

Great work. Hope I've converted you to the auto side.

Should the tires not have stenciling?

You just never know, Big!! I think i'll move back to a plane or two then think about another car. I would like to do one of the old Revell 1/16 fuel dragsters, i remember when they were first sold, think i was 12-14 years. When i do another F1 i'm going to plan better now that i know what's out there. It would be great if Tamiya did a modern F1, would be a real challenge!! The tires should have stencilling, just one of many things on a list that didn't get done or didn't know about. There's also the hood pins, gas caps, mirrors that i lost, misaligned roolbar...... The decals, both kit and aftermarket were great. The Indycals were a treat, color matching, very thin, settled beautifully.

Don

Wow that turned out amazing

We need an outdoor in the sun picture. Where all good cars should be.

Thanks Neo!! I'm happy with the results. The pictures are dark and the color doesn't lend itself to pics taken in the basement. Will try to get some outdoor pics, but weather is generally cloudy.

Don

• 2 months later...