AMK will release a MiG-31!

That looks really good.

I have a question about molding the intakes. Since missiles can be molded as single piece, I was wondering whether same can be done with the intakes. Is is that difficult mold them as single piece? Maybe the whole thing is too much to ask but the front half for example???

You can, not a problem. But you then can only produce one single plastic piece and it will be forever stuck on the steel tool.

On a serious note, if the intake isn't a simple straight, featureless and slightly tapered tube, you can't do it with plastic and injection moulding. And even then there are limits to how long the tube can be and the taper (draft angle) that's needed to actually get the inner slide tool out without tearing the plastic.

This sort of thing is possible with resin and rubber moulds, but not with plastic and steel tooling unfortunately.

But all that aside, this kit is looking extremely good!

Jeffrey

On a serious note, if the intake isn't a simple straight, featureless and slightly tapered tube...y

But quite a few of them is.. :D

I understand, Mig-31 intake has many details and is impossible without an elastic mold. But seriously most intakes, I think can be done at least, as I wrote, their front half. Maybe all models should come with resin parts, go eduard. :D

I was shocked to read that the Mig-31 ran mock intercepts on the blackbird a number of time with one allegedly being an intercept from 6 different directions, anyone know if its true?

It very likely is. The MiG-31 did overlap the end of the SR's service life by a few years. Before they got Foxhounds in the Far Eastern Military District in the late 1980s, I know (I was there) that the very infrequent SR-71 missions up the east coast of the USSR used to drive them absolutely crazy, and there was nothing they could do about them. All they had was Su-15TMs.

I was shocked to read that the Mig-31 ran mock intercepts on the blackbird a number of time with one allegedly being an intercept from 6 different directions, anyone know if its true?

Here's a good article from the Aviationist website that talks about how effective MiG-31s were against the SR-71

My link

I can see here they are using Potenza series L.K. Machinery injection machines (LK Shenzhen from Granville Technology Group).

These machines also contains some Italian and Japanese parts. A lot of the Chinese machines contain imported components (i noticed that some of them (not L.K.) are mostly made from various imported parts, with mainly the outer casing and some other bits being from China, though i am pretty much sure several Chinese injection presses are also made from mostly made in China components, but they seem to base their advertising on the fact that some key components are made from imported parts).

L.K. is a big company but these machines are not their latest models. They are probably dated around the mid to slightly past the mid-2000's first decade.

Stephane.

Edited by Stratospheremodels

L.K. is a big company but these machines are not their latest models. They are probably dated around the mid to slightly past the mid-2000's first decade.

I suppose it takes a while to amortize machinery like that. Are the ten years younger machines so much better? What would a new machine be able to do, that the older canĀ“t?

Judging from the regular updates on the AMK facebook page, it looks like they know how to get good results from the machines they have.

At least the molds aren't from 1975..

Lower fuselage, intake, engine, and wheel bay assembly photos on AMK Face book page.

Looks fantastic! The only thing that concerns me is the panel lines look a little heavy. Anyone who has seen the test shots in person, can you confirm or deny this?

Edited by B.Sin

I suppose it takes a while to amortize machinery like that. Are the ten years younger machines so much better? What would a new machine be able to do, that the older canĀ“t?

A whole lot. Modern machines are often more compact, can be programmed, are a lot more economical in terms of energy cost (at least several models), some are entirely electric, and they can have very fast cycle rates.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models