AMK will release a MiG-31!

Except for the early pylons and completely different missiles which are not in the current boxing, which means you cannot build an early production 1980s vintage Foxhound from it.

Not sure what your problem is Berkut, but you really, really need to get over yourself.

1313148949153.gif

Mofo summed it up perfectly and i am pretty sure that he had little to no prior knowledge on MiG-31 and the different modifications.

Well, if you as a MiG-31 expert consider the early 90's MiG-31B/BS the "early" MiG-31, rather than the initial variant (and/or DZ) which served the whole decade before it, I rest my case, but why don't you just refer to it by its full name (just add the "B") then rather than adding to the confusion? I'm sure you can do better than "early early early MiG-31" to refer to the initial variant.

Because as a follow "expert" you should know that telling difference between "early" MiG-31 and MiG-31BS and MiG-31DZ and MiG-31B is goddamn impossible. They are for all intents and purposes exactly the same. It is like wanting a kit of F-22 with block 1 software when there is a kit of F-22 with block 3 out... Therefor the only reason to release an early boxing is if AMK wants to milk it Hasegawa style where the only new thing would be like you say; the decals.

And if you are annoyed by my sarcasm and "high horse", i am after all, dealing with you and J. So imagine how fun it is on my end. :rolleyes:/> J is still completely unable to grasp the concept that the B/BS boxing will have the pylons and weapons for "early" MiG-31 and you are still harping about an useless early boxing. Just buy the B/BS boxing and slap on some Begemot decals, that is your early MiG-31. And if you are buying a 55+ dollar kit, i am sure you will manage to shelf out 10 bucks on aftermarket decals, so please.

Edited by Berkut
And if you are annoyed by my sarcasm and "high horse", i am after all, dealing with you and J. So imagine how fun it is on my end. :rolleyes:/>/> J is still completely unable to grasp the concept that the B/BS boxing will have the pylons and weapons for "early" MiG-31 and you are still harping about an useless early boxing. Just buy the B/BS boxing and slap on some Begemot decals, that is your early MiG-31. And if you are buying a 55+ dollar kit, i am sure you will manage to shelf out 10 bucks on aftermarket decals, so please.

It's true that I've had it coming with my asking about the initial production boxing several times in the thread before, but yesterday's confusion was for the most part not of my doing ("new" release announcement, "early" MiG-31, etc.).

Edited by ijozic
And/or buy the MiG-31BM boxing as it is clearly the coolest version. :) (and most numerous in Russian AF already!)

No offense, but for my money that title would go to the MiG-31M IMHO ;) (I hope Trumpeter will deliver something decent there). The BM is kind of like a poor man's MiG-31M; it's still the best the MiG-31 will ever get to, granted, but I'm not so high on the post Cold War stuff.

I am tempted by that "ugly" GWH 9.19 for some weird reason, so things might change. TBH, if I could walk into a store where I am and buy the BM box for like USD 60-70, I surely would grab one, but I have to order it from HK and then you have to add S&H, customs, etc. and all these detailed parts are not helping there (thanks AMK!!).

BTW, it would be cool for the BM guys if some aftermarket company makes those RVV-BD missiles once they enter service for the uber-coolest (operational) MiG-31.

Edited by ijozic

I would rather not have to sand anything off of this exceptional model kit or have to craft the missing parts.

To be fair, these are the blisters in question:

6FUuqbx.jpg

From a manufacturer's point of view, there are two ways to handle this: either tool an entirely new lower fuselage, or have the modeler remove them. Since the former is expensive and the latter is free and simple, AMK would almost certainly opt for the latter; Hasegawa, Eduard, Revell, Wingnut and others have all done the same thing.

The other potential modelling hiccup - the odd rods - *could* be added to the PE fret. They're super-easy to scratchbuild though: drill three holes, glue in some wire and trim to length.

So ultimately what it boils down to is just decals to make a particular airframe at a particular point in time. If it was Hasegawa, they'd probably squeeze out a third boxing with *exactly* the same parts as the B/BS kit, just different decals and a note to shave off the blisters. Boom: MiG-31DZ. Apparently AMK don't want to go the route of endless re-boxings. Really, AMK *could* release the kit as a B/BS/pre-B depending on what they include on their decal sheet. Just note which optional parts go with which decal options (they're doing this in the BM/BMS kit already). At this point, given all the hoopla, it'd probably be a good idea. But if they don't, there will certainly be a bunch of aftermarket decals to cover the markings - Begemot will surely release an 'Early MiG-31' sheet, Linden Hill will very likely do something, Caracal probably will, Authentic almost certainly will, etc.

-----

Moving on to a horse that's a little less dead... which version does Kazakhstan fly? I thought they were Bs, but digging around, it looks like at least some aircraft were due to be modernized to BM standard ca. 2008. (then again, Syria has 'bought' Foxhounds 2 or 3 times...) Did this actually happen and if so, could one use the BM kit to model an upgraded Kazakh jet?

They are using MiG-31B frames, not sure if only those or also other versions. I *think* B only but i might be wrong. Either way; they haven't, and seemingly have no plans, to upgrade them to BM. Assuming BM is "export" rated at all.

Hi Les,

First answer is to provide you with some detail in case you wanted to cut the thing open to display the aircraft in maintenance. Some modelers, like me too, like to open panels or show the engines out of the aircraft, this just gives more options whether used or not.

Our designed and tool maker loves his job and we love the job he does :)/>

Yes, I have altered the manual accordingly for the next batch.

If you pop over to our Facebook page there is already a flyer on there as to our preferred partner in Australia, Hobbylink Direct.

:thumbsup:/>

Thanks Martin! I'll take a look at hobbylink

Cheers

The other potential modelling hiccup - the odd rods - *could* be added to the PE fret. They're super-easy to scratchbuild though: drill three holes, glue in some wire and trim to length.hounds 2 or 3 times...) Did this actually happen and if so, could one use the BM kit to model an upgraded Kazakh jet?

Wire doesn't realistically depict Odd Rods antennas. The real things are flat (or essentially so). One of the instances where PE is actually the superior medium to portray them.

Odd-Rods_02.jpg

Edited by Jennings

Odd Rods were sort of a standard attachment... maybe there's a resin one out there somewhere. Or, saw it off an old Russian kit that's recently become obsolete. :D/>

Edit, here is a PE set that includes multiple Odd Rods:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FHP48209

Although, the individual rods seem to be spaced a bit far apart. Maybe it's just me.

Edited by punder

Does anyone know if any of the retailers, particularly those based in North America have received copies of this kit? I pre-ordered mine from Dragon and it still is listed as a "pre-order" item (i.e. not in stock). Thanks,

Rick

Does anyone know if any of the retailers, particularly those based in North America have received copies of this kit? I pre-ordered mine from Dragon and it still is listed as a "pre-order" item (i.e. not in stock). Thanks,

Rick

The shipping is a bit long.

Estimated, arriving Dragon on 9th Dec.

Cheers!

Sio

Hallo everybody, have anyone preordered the Mig31 from Lucky Model and had it shipped?

I preordered mine with another item that was "full reserved" then on 1st Dec the Mig31 was "full reserved" and the other item become "pending", I asked to ship the Mig31 and they said it's out of stock at the moment... maybe they took too much preorders?

Edited by Andrea Bolla

Hallo everybody, have anyone preordered the Mig31 from Lucky Model and had it shipped?

I preordered mine with another item that was "full reserved" then on 1st Dec the Mig31 was "full reserved" and the other item become "pending", I asked to ship the Mig31 and they said it's out of stock at the moment... maybe they took too much preorders?

Yes I placed my order before Dec 1 sometime and my account now says it has been shipped. I had no other items with it.

Good luck for you, I hoped to have it for XMas, but they badly screwed my plans...

I've seen Martin post on another forum that they are putting out another batch for shipment. Very high demand. I would imagine big sales also stoke the fires for more future releases.

i receive mine yesterdaynewbanana.gif

at last!! ...after more than two years!!!

the box isn't as large as i've expected,( a tad smaller than Academy 1/48 F-4B... OK it's still a rather large box...)

everything is very well packed. really like how inner boxes reinforce the outer box. not place to put anything more in that box!!!

i've take a look at all sprues... will definitely start to build it this weekend!

my verdict:jaw-dropping.gif AWESOME!!!

Got mine today from Lucky Model!

xLz0s0c.jpg

I have to say that the plastic is the best I've seen from any manufacturer, including Tamiya and GWH.

If we get a Tomcat like this kit, I'll be in freaking heaven!

Superbly done AMK!

Rob

Edited by galileo1

Got mine today from Lucky Model!

xLz0s0c.jpg

I have to say that the plastic is the best I've seen from any manufacturer, including Tamiya and GWH.

If we get a Tomcat like this kit, I'll be in freaking heaven!

Superbly done AMK!

Rob

How come?

Mine changed from "Fully Reserved" to pending. Now, I don't know what "Fully Reserved" means.

I was hoping to get it before Christmas, it seems like it won't happen

Juan